Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Andrew1810
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Manual’s section

Post by Andrew1810 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm

rustyk wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Got my car back from dealers and they've updated the software. It now rev matches when you skip more than one gear, i.e. 5th to 3rd, or drop down couple of cogs straight to second etc. It only ever did this before if you dropped down to the next ratio, i.e. 4>3 or 3>2. Much prefer it now!
Did you have to pay for this update or was it part of a service ? Would prefer it to rev match when dropping multiple gears also !

stag74
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stag74 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Interesting how some have it, some don't, I have it skipping gears, March 2017, as far as I am aware, never seen the inside of a BMW garage yet.
M140i 3 Door Manual

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri May 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Andrew1810 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm
rustyk wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Got my car back from dealers and they've updated the software. It now rev matches when you skip more than one gear, i.e. 5th to 3rd, or drop down couple of cogs straight to second etc. It only ever did this before if you dropped down to the next ratio, i.e. 4>3 or 3>2. Much prefer it now!
Did you have to pay for this update or was it part of a service ? Would prefer it to rev match when dropping multiple gears also !
The car was in for warranty work and they applied software updates while it was there.
My invoice shows:
0062450100 - Programmed instrument cluster.
10071370200 - Retrofit mobility system.

There was no charge.

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Someone else mentioned on another thread that they find the car is holding onto the revs when they upshift?
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the person or the thread!

Is anyone else getting this and did they get a resolution? I'm actually liking the rev matching when downshifting through the gears, but I found again this morning that if I really push on and rev the car to say 6000+ in 2nd or 3rd, the revs are artificially held too high. I'm sure it's not due the the flywheel, it's an electronic intervention which seems to assume that you want to work through all the gears in succession rather than skip straight up to 5th/6th.

*edited to add* I'm not sure if this applies to all driving modes, but I've definitely experienced it in sport+.

vee5

Post by vee5 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I've noticed exactly the same thing on my 240 - changing up during full throttle acceleration at 6000rpm or more and the ECU (I assume) seems to hold onto the revs and almost blip the throttle to the red line. This normally happens when I'm in the middle of an overtake but I have experimented a few times on open roads and found that this does not happen if changing up below 6000... and it is usually possible to avoid the "over rev" by very deliberately releasing the throttle before depressing the clutch. Seems to be some kind of annoying ECU routine although why this would be I struggle to imagine....

I've been driving manuals for decades so I'm confident I know how to change gear and I have never experienced this behaviour in any other car.

I do also find the engine has an annoyingly marked flywheel effect which makes it difficult to change up smoothly as quickly as I would like to. Does anyone know if this can be addressed via coding or is literally a heavy flywheel on the 240LCI?

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a software problem. I don't know if it was introduced with the last update but it's clearly artificial and I didn't notice it before. The last update I had enabled rev matching on downshifts when skipping gears, which 100% isn't how it behaved previously.

I noticed it again today in sport mode, so it's not limited to sport plus. I held onto third, went to change and I could observe the revs holding on with clutch depressed and then noticed them move about as I went to chose a different gear.
I think the car is trying to apply some rev matching when upshifting as well as when down shifting.

This must be affecting everyone with a manual and up to date software? It needs to get sorted as it's annoying now. I'll see if we get more feedback then back to the dealers it goes.

Have you tried replicating it in comfort mode? It seemed less of an issue the other day when I tried, so I wondered if it's some bodged attempt to reduce turbo lag in the sport modes.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm

I've noticed the same thing on my 2018 M140. During up shifts above 4.5k or so the car auto-blips the throttle over revving the car. The car is with BMW at the moment but am awaiting an update.

Tried in all modes and definitely a problem in comfort, sport and sport +.

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm
I've noticed the same thing on my 2018 M140. During up shifts above 4.5k or so the car auto-blips the throttle over revving the car. The car is with BMW at the moment but am awaiting an update.

Its the laggy fly by wire throttle. Ruins the car imo, mine went, replaced by the far superior zf8 auto.

Shins
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shins » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Does this not effectively keep a manual on boost changing? That's a good thing!
Like an auto.
BMW M135i F21 with BCS Exhaust, BCS HFC, AFE Air Scoop with Drop In Filter & JB4.

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

kylemacca01 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm
Snowy wrote:

Its the laggy fly by wire throttle. Ruins the car imo, mine went, replaced by the far superior zf8 auto.
It's nothing to do with it being fly by wire, other than it being a software issue. Throttle lag would never rev the engine in the opposite direction to pedal movement. You can observe this behaviour best by flooring it in sport+ in 3rd then dipping the clutch. Sometimes you can see the revs changing all over the place or dropping at different speeds.

Agree it spoils the car a bit. Apparently you can code out rev matching completely but according to the german forum there is a software update imminent to fix this.

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:20 am

Shins wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm
Does this not effectively keep a manual on boost changing? That's a good thing!
Like an auto.
No, it's not a good thing because you'll end up knackering the clutch!

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi Rusty, yes agree definitely a software issue as the revs are all over the place once the clutch is dipped going up the box once past certain rpm. Would you be able to direct me to the German forum?

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:47 pm

The thread is here:

https://www.1erforum.de/threads/m140i-h ... 94/page-10

Was planning on a friendly google translate introduction to link this thread to theirs but have been very busy.

Definitely the same issue.

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 pm

rustyk wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am
kylemacca01 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 pm
Snowy wrote:

It's nothing to do with it being fly by wire, other than it being a software issue. Throttle lag would never rev the engine in the opposite direction to pedal movement. You can observe this behaviour best by flooring it in sport+ in 3rd then dipping the clutch. Sometimes you can see the revs changing all over the place or dropping at different speeds.

Agree it spoils the car a bit. Apparently you can code out rev matching completely but according to the german forum there is a software update imminent to fix this.
The throttle lags coming off, so you are completely off the throttle and you dip the clutch but its laggy and you end up reving it like you dipped the clutch with your foot still on the gas.

RedUn
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RedUn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:50 pm

I've posted this before, it's the latest software on the car that has introduced the blip on changing up a gear. I've complained to the dealers about it, when I get back from hols I'll take on bmw UK as its awful, especially when pressing on in the wet a snatchy gear change is not ideal!
M240i, Red/Red, Manual

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”