Manual’s section

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

JeffH

Re: Manual’s section

Post by JeffH » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Just an update, BMW have come back to me - There is nothing wrong with my car with reference to the over revving issue, it is a "characteristic" of the car and nothing they can do.
I have just e-mailed as many people in BMW UK (including the Managing Director) as possible, to let them know my "difference of opinion"

What an absolute bunch of :censored:

You all need to start e-mailing BMW with your complaints about the cars. :starwars:

I will NEVER buy a BMW again.
F20 M140i Estoril Blue Oyster Manual ProNav Adaptive Folding mirrors Park assist Driver comfort package

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stag74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 pm

An earlier comment was this problem is avoided by releasing the throttle before dipping the clutch. That's what you do anyway isn't it unless the car has the facility for full throttle gear shifts?
Don't tell me my car has the facility for full throttle gear shifts and I didn't realise?
M140i 3 Door Manual

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 am

I can't actually tell if you're being sarcastic? If so, not helpful. Do you really think we're all keeping our foot buried on the throttle when changing gear?
Maybe you don't have the software version that exhibits this behaviour, but basically it's trying to rev match on upshifts and artificially holding revs.

When my car was new it wasn't doing it, but it wasn't rev matching on downshifts when skipping multiple gears either. On my last software update, the car starting rev matching on downshifts when skipping gears, which I like, but it also introduced this other unwanted behaviour.
M140I SE / MG, Oyster, Orbit Grey / Manual / Heated Seats / Adaptive

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 am

Rustyk,

Thank you for your clarification, you are exactly right on the issue with our cars. I for one will not accept it as a "characteristic"
F20 M140i Estoril Blue Oyster Manual ProNav Adaptive Folding mirrors Park assist Driver comfort package

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 am

Mine is going in this week, the over reving on upshifts is one item on the list. It didn't happen before the update, and it's never happened on all of my previous manual cars. It's not a characteristic, it just seems like an error/oversight. Perhaps less time is invested in the manual cars.

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stag74 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 am

rustyk wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 am
I can't actually tell if you're being sarcastic? If so, not helpful. Do you really think we're all keeping our foot buried on the throttle when changing gear?
No, just picking up on the comment made below:
vee5 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm
I've noticed exactly the same thing on my 240 - changing up during full throttle acceleration at 6000rpm or more and the ECU (I assume) seems to hold onto the revs and almost blip the throttle to the red line. This normally happens when I'm in the middle of an overtake but I have experimented a few times on open roads and found that this does not happen if changing up below 6000... and it is usually possible to avoid the "over rev" by very deliberately releasing the throttle before depressing the clutch. Seems to be some kind of annoying ECU routine although why this would be I struggle to imagine....

I've been driving manuals for decades so I'm confident I know how to change gear and I have never experienced this behaviour in any other car.

I do also find the engine has an annoyingly marked flywheel effect which makes it difficult to change up smoothly as quickly as I would like to. Does anyone know if this can be addressed via coding or is literally a heavy flywheel on the 240LCI?
The car doesn't know if i'm going down the box, up the box, or skipping gears until that gear is selected.
If when I change gear, before selecting that gear, i'm in neutral still with clutch depressed, my car will hold the revs for a few moments, and if no gear is selected, the revs drop to tickover.
If still with the clutch depressed, whatever gear I decide to select, as soon as I nudge the gearlever towards that gear, the engine revs jump up in anticipation of that gear being selected. I can change my mind, and nudge towards a different gear, and the revs will readjust before I fully engage that gear and lift the clutch.
So, if I understand correctly if you have this problem, if say accelerating hard and you change from say 2nd to 3rd, the moment you disengage 2nd, and nudge into 3rd the revs rise before the gear is engaged and you have lifted the clutch?
What if you slow things down, and before you nudge into 3rd you pause slightly? as I said above if you pause, the revs hold and then fall away until you select a gear. You don't want to do this as you are loosing momentum pausing but interested if this is the case.
As said in an earlier post mines going in for a service in a month or so time so don't want the 'upgrade' presently.
M140i 3 Door Manual

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:00 am

stag74 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 am

So, if I understand correctly if you have this problem, if say accelerating hard and you change from say 2nd to 3rd, the moment you disengage 2nd, and nudge into 3rd the revs rise before the gear is engaged and you have lifted the clutch?
What if you slow things down, and before you nudge into 3rd you pause slightly? as I said above if you pause, the revs hold and then fall away until you select a gear. You don't want to do this as you are loosing momentum pausing but interested if this is the case.
As said in an earlier post mines going in for a service in a month or so time so don't want the 'upgrade' presently.
Yes, to me this describes what's happening. Agree it's probably related to the car not 'knowing' if you're downshifting/upshifting etc.
If you pause, the revs do hold but it's actually quite difficult to break it down, because it's intermittent and feels like the car has a mind of it's own, which if course it does :-)

If you didn't care about clutch wear and wanted absolute maximum acceleration between the gears with minimal turbo lag, maybe it's great, but I didn't buy the car to do full bore runs up Santa Pod every time I get in it.

Basically it's a bit s*it and I hope they're right on the 1er forum and that there is a newer software update that fixes it.
M140I SE / MG, Oyster, Orbit Grey / Manual / Heated Seats / Adaptive

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm

JeffH wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm
Just an update, BMW have come back to me - There is nothing wrong with my car with reference to the over revving issue, it is a "characteristic" of the car and nothing they can do.
I have just e-mailed as many people in BMW UK (including the Managing Director) as possible, to let them know my "difference of opinion"

What an absolute bunch of :censored:

You all need to start e-mailing BMW with your complaints about the cars. :starwars:

I will NEVER buy a BMW again.
I have also emailed BMW and had the same response that this over rev is a characteristic, completely unacceptable in my opinion, suggest all of us with the fault write to BMW. My complaint went to BMW UK CEO along with my local dealer.

Jimps

Post by Jimps » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Can anyone confirm whether they have had a successful software update to the apparent latest version which removes the over revving? My car is booked in next week to have the exhaust rattle looked at and I don't want to gain this issue through them updating the software. I'm also hearing that the latest software also potentially makes the car quieter and removes the pops in sport?

Andrew1810
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andrew1810 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 pm

I’m just going to go independent I think, got a we change of them not being able to update the gearbox and also listening when I request it not to be done anyway...

No plans to give the car back at the end of the PCP so I’m not too fussed about FDSH especially if the above is their response to things like this !

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I have just sent this e-mail to Tim King, BMW UK's Corporate Customer Services Manager (tim.king@bmw.co.uk)

I did e-mail the Managing Director of BWW UK Mr Graeme Grieve (graeme.grieve@bmw.co.uk) but all he did was refer it back to BMW Finance and the girl I was originally dealing with! So an absolute waste of time.

This is the e-mail:

Mr King,

As you are the Corporate Customer Services Manager I thought I would now contact you directly regarding the issues with my car.

I have just received the Final response letter from BMW Financial Services saying the over revving is a “characteristic” of the car.
As I will now be taking this up with my solicitor I would like your “Technical” Department to either e-mail me or put it in writing, exactly why my car now over revs and holds onto the revs when changing up through the gears.
I am an engineer myself so would be very interested to find out the technical reason for this excellent new “characteristic” that has ruined the driving experience of my BMW. Funny how this over revving improvement has only now been an added enhancement since my software update this June. (my gear changes have been fine for the first 17 months of ownership before the update)

Once I have all this information I can then take this up with my Solicitor, BBC Watchdog and an independent inspector who will hopefully have a different opinion than BMW. I can also post it on the many BMW Forums to make them all aware of the new over revving enhancement of their cars.

If you could just look into this for me please and get the right department to e-mail/send a letter confirming the technical details of this feature to me asap (or at least before I return my car at the end of the PCP agreement in 17 months time.)

Best Regards,

Jeff Handover

I would suggest anybody with the same over revving issue on their car contacts BMW direct as the more of us that keep nagging at them, might make them do something about it. I have loads more e-mail addresses of the Finance Director, Aftersales Director etc if anyone wants them.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm

So mine has been in, told it's a "characteristic" etc. They said they rarely see manuals in and spoke to technicians in Germany who stated it was normal as part of that update, but also that they'd had other similar queries, so clearly a known issue. I know this isn't saying anything new but very frustrating as you know. Luckily, no new updates available.

Jimps

Post by Jimps » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 pm

I collected my car today to have the exhaust rattle looked at amongst other things. It has had a software update as it now auto-blips on multiple down-changes (e.g. 5>3, 6>4 etc) where as before it would only do this on a incremental down change (3>2 etc). I gave it a good run home (changing up above 6000rpm in 2nd etc) and did not notice any over revving characteristics, therefore I believe this has now been resolved in the latest update. Fingers crossed!

GuyR
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GuyR » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 am

Jimps wrote:I collected my car today to have the exhaust rattle looked at amongst other things. It has had a software update as it now auto-blips on multiple down-changes (e.g. 5>3, 6>4 etc) where as before it would only do this on a incremental down change (3>2 etc). I gave it a good run home (changing up above 6000rpm in 2nd etc) and did not notice any over revving characteristics, therefore I believe this has now been resolved in the latest update. Fingers crossed!
Exhaust overrun behaving normally?
Current: 2016 F21 M140i - Estoril Blue - Manual - Driver Comfort Package - M Performance Exhaust

Previous: 2009 E81 116i - Sapphire Black - Manual

Jimps

Post by Jimps » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Still gurgles in sport if that's what you mean.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”