Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Paul CS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Did mine the other week. Really pleased with the result. I quite like the look. Yes the two screws attaching the bumper to the wing are a pig but doable. Some pics...

ImageImage

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Neilf

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Neilf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Looks good m8 .wish I could do mine but not brave enough to take bumper off

kriszty

Post by kriszty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 pm

looks nice, but i,m wondering if this kind of 'mesh guard' has negative influence for cooling while driving, is it not blocking to much air ?

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 pm

kriszty wrote:looks nice, but i,m wondering if this kind of 'mesh guard' has negative influence for cooling while driving, is it not blocking to much air ?
No, the radiator is a bigger restriction, causing a higher pressure zone in front of it. A course mesh will have negligible effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

kriszty

Post by kriszty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm

thanks, i think i will do it also, my dealer ask 150 euro for putting this in front of the bumper, excl. material costs, or is it easy to do it yourself ?

Paul CS

Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Paul CS » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:27 pm

NISFAN wrote:
kriszty wrote:looks nice, but i,m wondering if this kind of 'mesh guard' has negative influence for cooling while driving, is it not blocking to much air ?
No, the radiator is a bigger restriction, causing a higher pressure zone in front of it. A course mesh will have negligible effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. I’m working on a cooling system for a train and spoke to the experts (radiator core designers and manufacturers who do automotive too) who told me what I did is absolutely fine.

Paul

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:16 am

kriszty wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm
thanks, i think i will do it also, my dealer ask 150 euro for putting this in front of the bumper, excl. material costs, or is it easy to do it yourself ?
Can take up to 2 people and 2 hours to remove bumper without scratching it. Same thing to put it back on. I would rather get a professional to do it for me, rather than risk scratching something.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - F80 LCA + SuperPro TS castor bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Jahjaman wrote:
kriszty wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm
Can take up to 2 people and 2 hours to remove bumper without scratching it. Same thing to put it back on. I would rather get a professional to do it for me, rather than risk scratching something.
4 hours is about right if it is your first time.

I did it on my own. Have a nice clean blanket on the ground. As has been said, the tricky bit is the two screws that hold the bumper to the wing.

Paul

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I did it on my own. Have a nice clean blanket on the ground. As has been said, the tricky bit is the two screws that hold the bumper to the wing.
Paul, clearly you are approximately 50x more handy than I am.
If I ever got the bumper off, it would probably sit there on the floor for a week as I'd have no idea how to put it back on 😛😛
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - F80 LCA + SuperPro TS castor bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Jahjaman wrote:
Paul CS wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Paul, clearly you are approximately 50x more handy than I am.
If I ever got the bumper off, it would probably sit there on the floor for a week as I'd have no idea how to put it back on ImageImage
For peace of mind, if you are not sure, I agree, pay someone. Well worth doing.

Best.

Paul

Pts1972

Post by Pts1972 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm
Did mine the other week. Really pleased with the result. I quite like the look. Yes the two screws attaching the bumper to the wing are a pig but doable. Some pics...

ImageImage

Paul
Where did you buy your mesh and how much did it cost/ size used / mesh size?
Appears many suppliers but prices and I assume dimension and quality vary. Looks a sweet job but I don't want to take the bumper off a second time!

Cheers
M140i - MG, 5-door, Auto, Adaptive, MPSS and few other bits. 8)

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Pts1972

Post by Pts1972 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 pm
Here you go http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

You need 2.

Paul
Nice one. Much appreciated. :)
M140i - MG, 5-door, Auto, Adaptive, MPSS and few other bits. 8)

Shunt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shunt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Aubergine_Joe wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 pm
Sorry. Details here viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110573&p=1406314#p1406314
Good to hear that Joe, my 65 plate 135 goes into Haliwell Jones Warrington on Thursday for air con failure. If they were going to try and charge me I'd have left it as is. New 140i shadow arriving in a few weeks so been using the F Type in the warm weather.

At least now you've set a prescience with them, I'll be going armed with this thread. Thanks, love a good forum for these sort of issues.......

Edit to add, who did you deal with in the service dept? PM please.

Aubergine_Joe

Post by Aubergine_Joe » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 pm

I believe my issue is directly attributable to the B58 radiator design so not sure what the issue with your will be. PMd you.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”