Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

R1cey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by R1cey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:17 pm

So, if it’s not a design flaw, why would you go to the trouble of creating a retrofit kit??

Do they think we’re zipped up the back??

In an industry where cost is everything, if it’s not a chargeable extra, then they’re losing money on it, simple as that, and car manufacturer’s never introduce anything that is not required!

They have realised the current design is not fit for purpose, have probably had a lot of warranty or goodwill fixes already, so have decided to resolve it. Unless I’m mistaken, only safety issues force a recall, so they are simply mitigating future expense risk, and will try and “manage” issues with the customers and the current design. They will chance asking the customer to pay for it, claiming it’s external influences, in the hope some will pay. For those in the know, the flimsy design is contributing, and the fact they have fitted components, which are officially called “rock guards”, surely doesn’t give them a leg to stand on, should they not repair free, and you are forced to take legal action to recompensate??

Any lawyers on here that could advise?

Cheers.
R1cey
------------------------------------------------------
Current: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport in MG

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Good post R1cey, sounds like a good summary of what’s happened. Not sure where we as ‘non rock guard’ equipped car owners stand. I will have a word with my local service manager, I know him really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Tomorrow’s job is to fit the Halfords black aluminium mesh.

Totally crazy that I have to do that on a modern BMW.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

R1cey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R1cey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

But by doing so, you are potentially (likely) invalidating your warranty!! Crazy situation, so I’ll just wait on it being punctured, then if not repaired under warranty/goodwill, take them through the small claims court, and NEVER buy a BMW again, who will be the loser? Not fecking me!!
R1cey
------------------------------------------------------
Current: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport in MG

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

Tim_C
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tim_C » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Worth an email to the Guardian. A relative suggested I email them when I was being given the runaround by Mytyres (Delticom) and to my surprise Miles Brignall responded to me and contacted someone at Delticom who swiftly resolved the matter.

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Tim_C wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:22 pm
Worth an email to the Guardian.
Exactly. Doesn't cost anything apart from 10 minutes of your time.

I've emailed them already so the more of us that do it the more seriously they might look into the issue.

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Williams327 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Been into the dealer today to get some coolant, enquiried about the rock guards whether they’d cover the cost.

I’ve paid for the two ‘rockguard’ covers £60 so not extortionate but I’ve asked whether the dealer will fit them for free so waiting to here back.

Guards are on back order until 11th June.

M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - JB4, LSD, underbody brace, Carbon MPE, PCW silencer, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 pm

They clip into two new Part 3's though, or are you just going to bodge them on with cable ties?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm fortunate in that I've got brand new part 3s added

If anyone has a draft email for the guardian please let me know as I'll add a pile of extra info.

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Williams327 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:05 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 pm
They clip into two new Part 3's though, or are you just going to bodge them on with cable ties?
Ballllllls didn’t realise this.
M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - JB4, LSD, underbody brace, Carbon MPE, PCW silencer, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

Rabbieburns

Post by Rabbieburns » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:57 am

Is it worth putting this to BBC Watchdog aswell?

Its clearly a design fault so BMW have fixed it. Its not a LCI change or performance change. Its purely a change to protect the radiators becuase they have noticed that you end up damage to the radiators and possible leaks.

I've put my complaint into https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

Johnnyo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Johnnyo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:38 am

Ive emailed watchdog and heard nothing back. Fortunately BMW goodwill covered cost of new radiator, condenser, front grill (which appeared in between dealer confirming air con broken and actually going to have it fixed) and labour (I had been looking at £1,400 bill until I - in a very English understated way - had a sense of humour failure and explained my position clearly).
2017 Petrol - many galloping horses.. Intergalactic miles....
2014 Dirty White 120d sport auto - brilliant but gone to help save the planet from diesel....

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Rabbieburns wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:57 am
Is it worth putting this to BBC Watchdog aswell?

Its clearly a design fault so BMW have fixed it. Its not a LCI change or performance change. Its purely a change to protect the radiators becuase they have noticed that you end up damage to the radiators and possible leaks.

I've put my complaint into https://www.themotorombudsman.org/
Done that. And Guardian Consumer Champions. And Motorsombudsman.

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I've done all of those too. I'm hoping next week I get my new rock guards as I think they are arriving in the UK on Monday

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”