Baby BMW Forum banner

Adding CarPlay from Connected Drive store

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Tubes 
#1 ·
My Connected Drive subscription expires today, I've enjoyed having the option of using Deezer directly in the car without faffing about with my phone but as there is 20% off at the moment I'm also looking at the CarPlay preparation so that I can go back to Spotify. I know it gets mixed reviews but a friend of mine has an M3 with it in and I quite like it.

When I try and add it, it says that it is not available for my vehicle (2017 M140i) surely that shouldn't be the case as I had the option of adding it when I specced the car. Could it be because I have upgraded to iDrive 5 using Bimmercode? It looks to me like it gets the information from the vehicle VIN so I'm not sure if they would even know i'd upgraded it.

#2 ·
I'm on iDrive 6 so might be different but... I have Apple Car Play and have disabled it. However, the Spotify app on my phone is still picked up in the iDrive menu.

#3 ·
RDowson said:
Older cars need the WiFi adapter for CarPlay. iDrive 6 cars have the adapter as standard now.
Yeah I managed to do a search of the forum that seemed to suggest that. Can the wifi module be retrofitted? I do get Spotify in the menu as well as Deezer and Amazon Music but they all need me to open the app on the phone first and its just a general faff compared with the built in online entertainment functionality - I might just bite the bullet and renew the online entertainment for another year, prefer Spotify but I have been happy enough with Deezer and managed to convert all my playlists between them.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Made a mistake in the OP - I'm on iDrive 6 with Pro Nav. I've done a bit of digging and I can see that it can probably be done.

The question now is: can I just buy and fit the wifi adapter myself and then go to a dealer and have it activated by paying a fee? I'm just wondering if the reason it says it is not available in the ConnectedDrive store is because the VIN check indicates that the car didn''t have the required Wifi module installed from the factory.

if not I'll look to go down the aftermarket coding route.

#8 ·
kevm said:
Made a mistake in the OP - I'm on iDrive 6 with Pro Nav. I've done a bit of digging and I can see that it can probably be done.

The question now is: can I just buy and fit the wifi adapter myself and then go to a dealer and have it activated by paying a fee? I'm just wondering if the reason it says it is not available in the ConnectedDrive store is because the VIN check indicates that the car didn''t have the required Wifi module installed from the factory.

Drop Wibbles a message, he did mine :)

#10 ·
If you dont mind op I wanted to just ask on here rather then create a new thread, my online entertainment has run out but I only used it for Deezer. To renew it is 160 for the year but a Deezer subscription is only 9.99 a month. Do I have to pay the 160 to be able to play it through the car?

#12 ·
RDowson said:
kevm said:

You won't be able to go to the dealer because as far as they are concerned you still wouldn't have the antenna installed.

I can provide you with everything you need to get up and running. Drop me a PM if you'd like more information.
I'll be in touch soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.