Aircon/Climate Control doing strange things

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

AlexHall

Aircon/Climate Control doing strange things

Post by AlexHall » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I noticed last week during a couple of 3 hour+ journeys that my aircon/climate control was shutting off. What would happen is that I would start my journey aircon nice and cold which can be felt through the vents then after about an hour the system would either shut off and I wouldn't be able to feel any air out of any vents no matter the setting or I would be able to feel air but it would be warm even though it was set to 16 degrees.

My car is a 15' M135i which has unfortunately come out of warranty on the 28th May. It has had 1 aircon service around a year ago but that was due to no cold air coming out the vents at all.

Has anyone come across anything like this previously? I would usually say it was an aircon leak however for the first hour or so the air coming out the vents is ice cold!!

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Aircon/Climate Control doing strange things

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 am

Almostt certainly low gas pressure. When it was regassed last time, was any leak found and fixed? Do you use it over winter ( to keep the fluid circulating and lubricating the seals)?

If pressure is low, it may work until the fluid and mechanics are thoroughly cooled and therefore shrinks, losing more pressure (Boyles law).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

There’s two or three sensors on the system that monitor the pressure in the system. When the gas level drops the sensors detect this and the system shuts down. Sounds like you may have a leak somewhere and that’s unusual at three years old. More like a seal than a corroded pipe.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 am

I don’t do a huge amount of miles, around 7k a year however do leave the aircon running all the time. The car does often get left for a couple of weeks and then used heavily so whether or not this has an effect on it I don’t know. The last time it was regassed there wasn’t any leaks found, it’s booked into Bmw on Friday so will see what they say.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm

My 2014 M135i had a similar issue, the air con started off okay but after about an hour it would reduce, so much so that it failed to come out of any of the passenger side vents. I took it to a BMW dealer and they had the car for 2 days. They were adamant there were no leaks and the air con was working fine. However they did reprogram the climate control module and update it with the latest software. This seems to have sorted the problem for now so your’s may have the same issue.
F20 M135i
GS + Coral Red + Auto + Pro Nav + EBT + BPD + HK + Sunroof + Comfort pack + Sun pack + PDC f & r + Folding Mirrors + Heated Seats + Ext Storage + MP Exhaust + MP Grills + Eibach Pro's + Gloss black MP Diffuser

Previous - E87 123d M Sport

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 am

ranjan15 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm
My 2014 M135i had a similar issue, the air con started off okay but after about an hour it would reduce, so much so that it failed to come out of any of the passenger side vents. I took it to a BMW dealer and they had the car for 2 days. They were adamant there were no leaks and the air con was working fine. However they did reprogram the climate control module and update it with the latest software. This seems to have sorted the problem for now so your’s may have the same issue.
It’s funny you say that as when the system shuts off the passenger side seems to be more likely to do it than the drivers.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Oh right! It will be interesting to hear what the BMW dealer you take it to diagnoses the problem to be...
F20 M135i
GS + Coral Red + Auto + Pro Nav + EBT + BPD + HK + Sunroof + Comfort pack + Sun pack + PDC f & r + Folding Mirrors + Heated Seats + Ext Storage + MP Exhaust + MP Grills + Eibach Pro's + Gloss black MP Diffuser

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Did BMW diagnose what the issue was with your car? I’ve just been on a long drive in my car and the issue is still there! After an hour, the air con goes down and no air comes out of the passenger side. So I’ll have to re-book it in to BMW.

I agree with the above posts that there must be a leak somewhere. Just hope it can be identified and it will be covered under the insured warranty.
F20 M135i

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:36 pm

I suppose its possible the compressor clutch is worn, but unlikely; mine is coming up to 12 years old and still going, so with cars a few years young its unlikely.

Also may be worth a look at the aux belt? Any signs of slippage/slackening with heat?

My dosh is still on a leak though,
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:36 pm
I suppose its possible the compressor clutch is worn, but unlikely; mine is coming up to 12 years old and still going, so with cars a few years young its unlikely.

Also may be worth a look at the aux belt? Any signs of slippage/slackening with heat?

My dosh is still on a leak though,
Yeah, I think so. It’s probably a weak seal rather than a corroded pipe given the age of the car. It’s frustrating that the BMW dealer has failed to sort the problem out. They probably turned the car on, left it running for a bit and found the air con ice cold so thought everything was hunky dorey! :roll:
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am

ranjan15 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:03 pm
Did BMW diagnose what the issue was with your car? I’ve just been on a long drive in my car and the issue is still there! After an hour, the air con goes down and no air comes out of the passenger side. So I’ll have to re-book it in to BMW.

I agree with the above posts that there must be a leak somewhere. Just hope it can be identified and it will be covered under the insured warranty.
I didn’t manage to take it in due to work commitments but have it rebooked this Wednesday so will let you know how it goes.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm

AlexHall wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am
ranjan15 wrote:

I didn’t manage to take it in due to work commitments but have it rebooked this Wednesday so will let you know how it goes.
Thank you, look forward to hearing what your dealer says. I just completed a 4 hour journey and it was pretty unbearable with the heat. Pressing “Max AC” blows a little cold air out of the driver sides vents and hot air out of the passenger ones. My car is booked in for next Thursday so I may reference this thread if my dealer is stumped and if your dealer identifies the problem.

Seems that the chap in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64516&p=814231#p814231 also had a similar problem but it doesn’t say what the cause was...
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

ranjan15 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm
AlexHall wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am
ranjan15 wrote:

Thank you, look forward to hearing what your dealer says. I just completed a 4 hour journey and it was pretty unbearable with the heat. Pressing “Max AC” blows a little cold air out of the driver sides vents and hot air out of the passenger ones. My car is booked in for next Thursday so I may reference this thread if my dealer is stumped and if your dealer identifies the problem.

Seems that the chap in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64516&p=814231#p814231 also had a similar problem but it doesn’t say what the cause was...
Just come back from BMW. They carried out the software update I think yours had previously (PuMA measure GB 54786222-08). Driven it home around 30 mins and seems better. The advisor said that the cause is basically the aircon evaporator getting iced up hence why is cures itself once the car has been sat for a bit and then driven again. Will see how I get on and if it’s still playing up then take it back in.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks for the update, the explanation from the advisor sounds plausible although the software update doesn’t seem to have cured the issue for me when it comes to 2+ hour journeys. There must be something in place that prevents the air con evaporator from getting iced up and this is what may have failed with our cars.

I’ll pass this information on to the BMW dealer and will let you know what they say when they’ve seen my car next Thursday...
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Let me know how it goes and I will update on here if anything develops with mine.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”