Aircon/Climate Control doing strange things

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Aircon/Climate Control doing strange things

Post by ranjan15 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Will do, just out of interest did they expand on what the software update actually does/how it cures the issue?

I’ll quote the Puma reference number to my dealer too, just incase the software update I had carried out was not the right one!
F20 M135i
GS + Coral Red + Auto + Pro Nav + EBT + BPD + HK + Sunroof + Comfort pack + Sun pack + PDC f & r + Folding Mirrors + Heated Seats + Ext Storage + MP Exhaust + MP Grills + Eibach Pro's + Gloss black MP Diffuser

Previous - E87 123d M Sport

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:22 pm

They said it should trick the car into thinking the interior temperature is warmer than it actually is. Like I say I’m not sold on this being the cure but need to wait for a long journey to see what happens.

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:04 pm

The internal temperature will be monitored by a NTC.
A NTC changes resistance with temperature and the restistance will be read by a control module.
A NTC never goes out of calibration. It either works correctly or completely fails.

So what has changed miraculously on the cars programming so it reads the value of the NTC incorrectly ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Octavius wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:04 pm
The internal temperature will be monitored by a NTC.
A NTC changes resistance with temperature and the restistance will be read by a control module.
A NTC never goes out of calibration. It either works correctly or completely fails.

So what has changed miraculously on the cars programming so it reads the value of the NTC incorrectly ?
Sorry if this is obvious, but what’s a NTC? I agree this air con issue is something component related that won’t be fixed by a software update...
F20 M135i
GS + Coral Red + Auto + Pro Nav + EBT + BPD + HK + Sunroof + Comfort pack + Sun pack + PDC f & r + Folding Mirrors + Heated Seats + Ext Storage + MP Exhaust + MP Grills + Eibach Pro's + Gloss black MP Diffuser

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

DEFECTED TO SKODA.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Thank you for this. So it could be the case that the NTC thermistor has somehow failed, hence the reason for the strange behaviour of the air con. Will be interesting to see if this is the issue, whether it’s identified by the dealer...
F20 M135i

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:49 pm

That’s what my money would be on.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 pm

So the dealer has got back to me on my car and has confirmed that there is a leak coming from the a/c condenser. They need to remove this to determine if the leak has been caused by an exterior influence and if not, it’ll be covered under the insured warranty. Fingers crossed!

So NottsKnots and Octavirus were right about a leak. OP, how has your air con been since the software update?
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

No issues with mine since aircon feels stronger than it’s been since I’ve owned the car. Slightly off topic but do you have BMW extended warranty with yours?

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:50 pm

I’m glad the software update has seemed to have fixed yours. Is the air con strong on long journeys too?

Yes, I do have the extended warranty! I had it on my old 123d too and it paid out on a fair few issues. It’s well worth the money IMO
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am

Longest I’ve done is a couple of hours in the car and seems fine. I’ve been running it on about 20 degrees rather than 16 as the air seems much colder. I’d never really considered extended warranty on the M135i as they seem solid and apart from this nothing has gone wrong.

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 am

Sounds like your aircon is now fine after the software update :) I’ll report back once BMW have completed the repairs on mine, I’ll also ask them to take it on an extended test drive (couple of hours) to ensure that it’s all sorted as I won’t have time to do that

It does feel like a solid car although I was worried about the potential costs associated with things such as the auto box, sun roof etc failing
F20 M135i

ranjan15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ranjan15 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Had a further update from the dealer today, the repair is covered under the warranty, which is a relief! A new condenser and pipe is needed though they need to carry out further testing following fitting to confirm the a/c is working as it should...
F20 M135i

AlexHall

Post by AlexHall » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Sounds promising!

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Did they say what caused it to fail ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.