Picking up a new (to me) M135i - Few questions!

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

GBC80
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Picking up a new (to me) M135i - Few questions!

Post by GBC80 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm

iladtani wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Upgraded the exhaust on the ST and it was certainly worth it..

How much is an MPE?
New, probably between 700-1000 depending on which tips you get (chrome vs carbon). Usually you can get a second one between 300-450 if you're fast. The car with the standard exhaust makes a cool sound, but with the MPE, it takes it to another level...loads of times, i don't even put the radio on just so i can hear it. No extra performance, just extra smiles and laughs.
M135i Lci...with a few goodies and mods

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 pm

GBC80 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm
iladtani wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Upgraded the exhaust on the ST and it was certainly worth it..

How much is an MPE?
New, probably between 700-1000 depending on which tips you get (chrome vs carbon). Usually you can get a second one between 300-450 if you're fast. The car with the standard exhaust makes a cool sound, but with the MPE, it takes it to another level...loads of times, i don't even put the radio on just so i can hear it. No extra performance, just extra smiles and laughs.
Agreed with that, was the best thing I did to my previous M135i. Miss it a bit but saving up to get the new car sorted.

Congrats and welcome to the club/ madhouse!!
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks everyone for your advice and welcoming me in!

One thing I was a little shocked at seeing Is that the pedals are plastic, Are there any metal upgrades to be done?

Np01
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Np01 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 am

Welcome, enjoy your new motor, I went for a ghost and a disklok, gives me piece of mind, Also as others have said MPE does sound great, I just popped a charge pipe coming back from Wales last weekend, which I hold the Welsh roads fully responsible for as they made me drive very fast and hard, up until that point it hadn’t cost to much in fuel, but an extra £300 on a new part and labour, if you are thinking about running more boost by upgrading, look at charge pipes, apparently they are prone to failing
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 am

It's worth getting the tracking checked (by a garage that really knows what they're doing!) if the car feels unstable at high speeds. Admittedly mine is a 140 but from many other threads instability is usually solvable with the tracking correcting and not mixing tyres front/back.

From what others have said springs/dampers are worth looking at but try the car out properly first.

Tyres, if it has runflats most people slate them. MPSS are standard, MPS4 are almost as good in the dry (as MPSS) and thrash them in the wet, another popular choice is goodyear F1 asymmetric 3. But you've got plenty of reading ahead
Enjoy the car

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Np01 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 am
Welcome, enjoy your new motor, I went for a ghost and a disklok, gives me piece of mind, Also as others have said MPE does sound great, I just popped a charge pipe coming back from Wales last weekend, which I hold the Welsh roads fully responsible for as they made me drive very fast and hard, up until that point it hadn’t cost to much in fuel, but an extra £300 on a new part and labour, if you are thinking about running more boost by upgrading, look at charge pipes, apparently they are prone to failing
I know the feeling, I live in mid-wales and every drive makes you put your foot down, I got the car yesterday and i've emptied the tank out more than once already!! :D :D Thanks for your advice!

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Tom314 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 am
It's worth getting the tracking checked (by a garage that really knows what they're doing!) if the car feels unstable at high speeds. Admittedly mine is a 140 but from many other threads instability is usually solvable with the tracking correcting and not mixing tyres front/back.

From what others have said springs/dampers are worth looking at but try the car out properly first.

Tyres, if it has runflats most people slate them. MPSS are standard, MPS4 are almost as good in the dry (as MPSS) and thrash them in the wet, another popular choice is goodyear F1 asymmetric 3. But you've got plenty of reading ahead Image
Enjoy the car Image

Thanks for the advice! Have to say i've found the car pretty decent at higher speeds but we will see how i feel about that a few thousand miles down the line..

Silly question time... How do you know you have runflats? I know runflats are usually a little harsh and like tram lining but these don't feel that way. Car has MPSS on currently and seem good, Had PS4 S on the ST and they were great.

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm

iladtani wrote:
Tom314 wrote:

Tyres, if it has runflats most people slate them. MPSS are standard, MPS4 are almost as good in the dry (as MPSS) and thrash them in the wet, another popular choice is goodyear F1 asymmetric 3. But you've got plenty of reading ahead Image
Enjoy the car Image

Thanks for the advice! Have to say i've found the car pretty decent at higher speeds but we will see how i feel about that a few thousand miles down the line..

Silly question time... How do you know you have runflats? I know runflats are usually a little harsh and like tram lining but these don't feel that way. Car has MPSS on currently and seem good, Had PS4 S on the ST and they were great.
Unless I've misunderstood a bit, MPSS aren't runflats so all is good Image. MPSS are great in the warm and dry, they start to struggle a little compared to competitors in the cold and or wet. I'll be changing to MPS4 when mine are dead, I don't push the limits when it's dry as the roads around me don't allow and be safe but I regularly find I'd like more grip in the cold and/or wet.

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Tom314 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm
iladtani wrote:
Tom314 wrote:

Enjoy the car Image

Unless I've misunderstood a bit, MPSS aren't runflats so all is good Image. MPSS are great in the warm and dry, they start to struggle a little compared to competitors in the cold and or wet. I'll be changing to MPS4 when mine are dead, I don't push the limits when it's dry as the roads around me don't allow and be safe but I regularly find I'd like more grip in the cold and/or wet.

Hopefully that is the case then! They seem good so far but of course i haven't driven in the wet yet. Do you really feel the grip go in these cars in comfort just commuting for example? The car seems a little more "grippy" than i was expecting it to be even in sport+ and right now can't imagine it breaking traction too much unless flooring it in the wet (if in comfort mode etc)

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:08 pm

The real issue with the MPSS is aquaplaning on a commute, the fonts are ok, the rears due to the tread pattern can't clear too much water. There is a long thread on here somewhere about exactly this.
The main place I spot the lack of traction is pulling away at junctions and occasionally flooring it hard. I've spun the wheels on a smooth motorway at 70 before and it wasn't particularly wet. White lines can be interesting in the wet as well. It's by no means a death trap (like Clarkson implies) but it needs to be respected a little in the wet. Not having driven an st (but I used to have a Volvo S60 2.4T petrol which the fronts didn't last very long on) I'd guess it's not much worse but obviously it's the other end enjoying itself...

Np01
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Np01 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 pm

iladtani wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:03 pm
Tom314 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm
iladtani wrote:

Hopefully that is the case then! They seem good so far but of course i haven't driven in the wet yet. Do you really feel the grip go in these cars in comfort just commuting for example? The car seems a little more "grippy" than i was expecting it to be even in sport+ and right now can't imagine it breaking traction too much unless flooring it in the wet (if in comfort mode etc)
If you are nice and smooth with the throttle and the steering, it shouldn’t just let go, if you chuck it about, then that’s a whole different story 😀
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”