M140i vs Golf R

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

tommy10101

M140i vs Golf R

Post by tommy10101 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

Will keep it brief. I have seen lots of people comparing these two cars, just wanted to give my assessment

Owned my M140i shadow for 2 weeks now, 1000 miles in. It replaced a 2016 golf R which I owned for 8 months and covered 6000 miles in.

For me, the M140i is an infinitely better car. Considerably faster, forgetting off the line traction, once up and rolling it’s another league. The golf never felt like 280lbs ft to me ever. The bmw feels more like 400!!! It truly is a very very fast car

The 6 cylinder combined with Zf auto feels so much more premium and expensive than the golf, the rwd adjustability wipes the floor with the golfs boring sterile plant it and steer do it all capability. It’s just 10 times more fun and for me it’s not even close, BMW > VW all day long.

Its not honeymoon period talking, if you like driving and are choosing between these two cars, it has to be the bimmer, another league of driving pleasure and really that’s why we buy these cars.

Anyway, just thought I would share my poorly constructed thoughts

BMW M140i, best car I have ever owned. Thanks all

For reference, I am 28 been driving for 11 years, see previous cars below

1990 Toyota mr2 turbo
Renault Clio 200 cup
Focus RS mk2 mp350
Vw golf mk7 R

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: M140i vs Golf R

Post by markm240i » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 am

tommy10101 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm
Hi guys,

Will keep it brief. I have seen lots of people comparing these two cars, just wanted to give my assessment

Owned my M140i shadow for 2 weeks now, 1000 miles in. It replaced a 2016 golf R which I owned for 8 months and covered 6000 miles in.

For me, the M140i is an infinitely better car. Considerably faster, forgetting off the line traction, once up and rolling it’s another league. The golf never felt like 280lbs ft to me ever. The bmw feels more like 400!!! It truly is a very very fast car

The 6 cylinder combined with Zf auto feels so much more premium and expensive than the golf, the rwd adjustability wipes the floor with the golfs boring sterile plant it and steer do it all capability. It’s just 10 times more fun and for me it’s not even close, BMW > VW all day long.

Its not honeymoon period talking, if you like driving and are choosing between these two cars, it has to be the bimmer, another league of driving pleasure and really that’s why we buy these cars.

Anyway, just thought I would share my poorly constructed thoughts

BMW M140i, best car I have ever owned. Thanks all

For reference, I am 28 been driving for 11 years, see previous cars below

1990 Toyota mr2 turbo
Renault Clio 200 cup
Focus RS mk2 mp350
Vw golf mk7 R
I would agree with what you say about the power and effortless torque delivery of the B58 engine compared to the VAG 4 pot.

However, I would sugest you wait and see how it feels on a cold damp winter day compared to the Golf R ;-)

BTW - I've owned both (ok - Audi S3 and M240i) and no car is perfect all the time but I would take the BMW over the VW.
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

Toube
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toube » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 am

Well here in the Nordics where there's usually snow in the winter.. the babym:s needs careful attention when driving in snow and slippery conditions.
Especially on black Ice.. you need to be ready for surprises :)
I had a few moments when accelerating to the motorway and using as little torque as possible and still it threw the backend loose (and I was panicing and thinking to myself that this is it :) luckily got it straightened out).. not sure if bigger Bmw rwd cars like 3-5 series are like to drive in the winter.

Just saying the babym needs some good driving skills on the winters :) I'm can't call myself a good driver.. badly need someone to show me the limits of the M140i.. but haven't had time or the money to take a lesson yet.. all the money is spent on other hobbies currently :D

Just my 5 cents :)
Current M140i F20 MG, manual, pretty much standard package, AST 5100 coilovers + AST front drop links, Mpe, mp gear knob, underbelly brace
Previous BMW M135i, Megane RS250 CUP

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 am

Have both on the driveway right now.(well M135i and 7.5R Hearse)
The R is more composed even on passive.
Grip is huge.
Faster cross country? A lot of the time - yes, but Grandma could be driving it.
The M-Lite is quicker. By some margin but you’ll be driving it not just steering like the R.
You have to boot the f*ck out of the R to get it moving.
Not so the M-Lite.
The R is boring though even at the limit. It’s been sideways and airborne but it’s still boring.
The M135i makes you grin.
The driving gods over on VWROC will tell you otherwise of course
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

For sale - pm me for more detail!

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am

I like this thread.

We get the M140i

Paul

M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 am

ReGenesis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 am
Grip is huge.
The M-Lite is quicker. By some margin but you’ll be driving it not just steering like the R.
Not so the M-Lite.
The R is boring though even at the limit. It’s been sideways and airborne but it’s still boring.

VWROC still going? Seemed to get one post a day. On a good day!
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Hawaii-Five-O
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Hawaii-Five-O » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

Interesting debate. I’m a big VW fan so I’ve been thinking of getting a Mk8 R in about three years time. Standard damping and springs sound better on stock R than stock on MLites. I guess this is where they’re saving money on list price. Not great to hear they’re dull to drive. All year weather handling sounds great though. This is where the Mlites are poor. You simply can’t enjoy them the same as in the dry summer months. Food for thought.
F20 M140i Auto Estoril Blue (loaded with extras)
------------------------------------------------------
Gone: Mk7 Golf GTI DSG
Gone: Mk3 Scirocco DSG

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 am

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 am
ReGenesis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 am
Grip is huge.
Not so the M-Lite.

VWROC still going? Seemed to get one post a day. On a good day!
as busy - if not more so than here.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/discover/

Johnnyo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Johnnyo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 pm

I love my M140 - over 30,000miles in it in just over a year now - relaxing when trudging up motorway (and very fuel efficient) and awesome on the back roads - it needs to be drive with thought and attention to balance the car and apply accelerator progressively etc..

My other car - Audi petrol a4 quattro estate thing is serviced at a vag indie - owner is a car nut - first supercharged R32 in the uk, rs3 saloon now (to showcase to customers what is available). Swung by in the M140 and asked if he'd like to drive it, he did and was really impressed with it - likened it to an Audi R8 (much more steering feel etc than the normal vag stable) and very impressed with the power delivery and acceleration/speed.

The Audi/VWs - S3s, RS3s, Rs, Cupra Rs are all very capable and quick cars but somewhat sterile - you can drive them pretty much flat out anywhere anytime with little concern for it spitting you off - which for 80% of the time in the Uk is great.

The M140 has more feel, character and has to be driven with some care to get the most out of it... the rwd, noise it makes and torque it great - coupled to the price point and what more could you want!

Each to their own i guess..
2017 Petrol - many galloping horses.. Intergalactic miles....
2014 Dirty White 120d sport auto - brilliant but gone to help save the planet from diesel....

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:09 pm

I intended to get an R and test drove one, genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was a great car. As a cross country car to make progress in I suspect it would take some beating. The digital dash and interior felt a bit more high tech than the 240 I eventually bought. For me I struggled to get a dealer to do a sensible deal on the R, (I wasn't paying 38k for a golf...) and it was the premium that VW seemed to think I should pay that meant I kept looking and ended up in the M240 I eventually bought.

Comparing the two cars I'm glad the golf deals were so lame, the noise, enjoyment and feedback that the 240 gives me is another level over the R. It demands more skill and interaction to drive quickly. But I was impressed when I drove the R, I can see why they've sold well.

sunshinewelly
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sunshinewelly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I am looking at going the other way. Currently hava a m135 and tempted to get a golf r or s3

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Mine is with VW directly.
£250pm over 24mths @10k

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm

I wanted the golf R, but the wife didn't like it. She liked the 1 series though, so we got that. I'd still take the golf I think.

A car that is safer and easier to drive on the limit is a good thing imo.

tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Yeh I guess the bmw appeals to people who like driving

Easier to drive and safer on the limit do not equal fun

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

tommy10101 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm
Yeh I guess the bmw appeals to people who like driving

Easier to drive and safer on the limit do not equal fun
But you aren't very good at driving, so your fun is a bit limited.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”