Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Monkeyjm22
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M140i vs Golf R

Post by Monkeyjm22 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Bluebird wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:26 pm
A load of people I know seem to have been buying S3 saloons and slate our lovely little BMWs saying the S3 is a better car. I don't see it myself?! I've owned a Scirocco R, Leon Cupra TFSI and Golf GTI Edition 30 in both manual and DSG and still find the baby M just more enjoyable with loads more character on the road. Nothing quite beats that straight-6 boosted howl when cracking on. No VAG seems to be able to match it in my eyes!
Agreed! I've owned a few Vag cars myself and whilst it can't be argued that they are fantastic machines with an outstanding gearbox, they can be seen to be a bit characterless in comparison. Almost too good in some respects i think :lol:
Coming Soon: M140 MG, 5DR, 8ZF With some extras :lol:

Monkeyjm22
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Monkeyjm22 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:24 pm

GhostRider203 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 am
Monkeyjm22 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am
GhostRider203 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 am
I was massively torn between the slightly more practical all wheel drive Golf vs that awesome B58 engine and premium feel of the M140i.
In the end, BMW blew the competion away with their discounts and financing. VW and others couldn't get near them.
A few 'Real Torque', Joe Achilles and other YouTube videos helped confirm my decision!
Just got to wait for the beast to be built now!
Agreed, Much the same reasoning for me, although between S3 in my case. Being able to get this phenominal engine and for a cheaper price, no second thought needed!

When is yours due?
Due date currently 30/09/18. Can't wait! Looked at the S3 too, but even less reduction than the Golf.
Hopefully there'll be a way of tracking progress to obsess over! 😄
There is a way to track! Assuming you know your order number, open the bmw configurator on their website and ask for an update in the chat box!
Coming Soon: M140 MG, 5DR, 8ZF With some extras :lol:

GhostRider203

Post by GhostRider203 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Awesome, thanks. Still waiting on an order number from the dealer. Hopefully that'll be imminent!

sgb27
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sgb27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 am
Maybe it's because I've been driving RWD for years, but I enjoy the fun of driving a RWD car in cold/wet conditions, certainly makes for some good fun when pressing on! :D
I agree 100% that driving RWD in cold/wet/snow is immense fun in this car, even in the dry with very dusty roads round here it's just too much fun. *BUT*, on many occasions, I do miss the ability to just floor it from low speed and not even consider losing grip, especially when it's important that you don't lose grip, eg when performing an overtake or pulling out from a junction. I've found now I pass on many opportunities that I would take without even thinking about it in my previous STi, which is a bit frustrating at times. I find the lack of grip/stability along slightly undulating B roads slightly scary compared to the Impreza, eg if I attempt an overtake in 3rd or 4th (auto box) the car feels like it just wants to drive me off the road if there is a little bump in the road (or if TC is on it just cuts power half-way through the overtake). This is the first car I've had that behaves like that, and I don't really like it.
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

baderlfc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by baderlfc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 am

For what it's worth, I test drove a Golf R a few weeks ago before deciding to save myself a lot of money and get an E82 135i.. my verdict.

Great car, looks fantastic in 3 door, interior I personally would rate over the F series cars just.. but the pumped in sound through the speakers was so blatantly obvious, far more so than in F series cars in my opinion, I'd almost say it ruined the whole car. Not sure if this could be coded out, but if it can't it would be enough to put me off ever owning the car!

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

you can turn it off in the golf R I believe, or at least unplug it, could in the mk 7 anyway

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 am

Takes 30s to code out - much easier than the F series in fact.
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

For sale - pm me for more detail!

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am

The Golf R needs a sound pumped into the cabin as it's a dull 4-pot. Our 6-pots don't as they sound epic!

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 am

Bluebird wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am
The Golf R needs a sound pumped into the cabin as it's a dull 4-pot. Our 6-pots don't as they sound epic!
They do have fake sound pumped in!
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 am

sgb27 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Maybe it's because I've been driving RWD for years, but I enjoy the fun of driving a RWD car in cold/wet conditions, certainly makes for some good fun when pressing on! :D
I agree 100% that driving RWD in cold/wet/snow is immense fun in this car, even in the dry with very dusty roads round here it's just too much fun. *BUT*, on many occasions, I do miss the ability to just floor it from low speed and not even consider losing grip, especially when it's important that you don't lose grip, eg when performing an overtake or pulling out from a junction. I've found now I pass on many opportunities that I would take without even thinking about it in my previous STi, which is a bit frustrating at times. I find the lack of grip/stability along slightly undulating B roads slightly scary compared to the Impreza, eg if I attempt an overtake in 3rd or 4th (auto box) the car feels like it just wants to drive me off the road if there is a little bump in the road (or if TC is on it just cuts power half-way through the overtake). This is the first car I've had that behaves like that, and I don't really like it.
Are you on Adaptive or Passive suspension? Run flats or normal?

Can't say mine really has any of those traits, but again maybe it's because I'm used to BMWs now having had them for 15 years+
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am

markm240i wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 am
Bluebird wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am
They do have fake sound pumped in!
That's what I'm saying, we don't need it. I've disabled mine via Carly and now it's just pure exhaust/engine!

sgb27
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sgb27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 am
sgb27 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Are you on Adaptive or Passive suspension? Run flats or normal?

Can't say mine really has any of those traits, but again maybe it's because I'm used to BMWs now having had them for 15 years+
Adaptive on MPSS. I must say on smooth roads it's lovely, but any little bumps like you typically get on B-roads and it really struggles when accelerating hard.
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

ninja_geezer
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 am
ReGenesis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 am
Have both on the driveway right now.(well M135i and 7.5R Hearse)
The R is more composed even on passive.
Grip is huge.
Faster cross country? A lot of the time - yes, but Grandma could be driving it.
The M-Lite is quicker. By some margin but you’ll be driving it not just steering like the R.
You have to boot the f*ck out of the R to get it moving.
Not so the M-Lite.
The R is boring though even at the limit. It’s been sideways and airborne but it’s still boring.
The M135i makes you grin.
The driving gods over on VWROC will tell you otherwise of course

VWROC still going? Seemed to get one post a day. On a good day!
Sorry must step in here in defense of VROC,Ive been a member for 2 years still am ,a great bunch ,very mature no young c$£%s on the forum unlike the last forum i was on (not naming) always very helpful and informative.im sure my stay on here will be just as enjoyable if not more so .. :D

ninja_geezer
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 pm

ReGenesis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 am
Ezzra wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:47 am
ReGenesis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 am
Have both on the driveway right now.(well M135i and 7.5R Hearse)
The R is more composed even on passive.
Grip is huge.
Faster cross country? A lot of the time - yes, but Grandma could be driving it.
The M-Lite is quicker. By some margin but you’ll be driving it not just steering like the R.
You have to boot the f*ck out of the R to get it moving.
Not so the M-Lite.
The R is boring though even at the limit. It’s been sideways and airborne but it’s still boring.
The M135i makes you grin.
The driving gods over on VWROC will tell you otherwise of course

VWROC still going? Seemed to get one post a day. On a good day!
as busy - if not more so than here.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/discover/

must agree been on there today :D

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:56 pm

My 2p worth... had 135i - then Golf R - then back to lci 135i. I did like the grip and traction of the golf but found the ride way too hard - crashing and rattling around town in particular drove me nuts. The BMW is like a limo in comparison- way smoother and more refined and much better built.

Hate to say it but a 4WD version of the 135/140 would be perfect for me :)
EB LCI manual M135i with Adaptive, HK, Pro Nav and Comfort... now with Milltek :)

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”