M140i oil change DIY

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm

M140i oil change DIY

Post by Williams327 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 pm

So my car just reached 10,000 miles and despite the onboard computer not requesting its first service until next year I thought id do an interim one myself.
Phil at Cotswolds BMW supplied me genuine bmw oil 7litres and oil filter with copper washer and o ring. £89 delivered :D

Tools needed
Torque wrench, ratchet with swivel attachment, 17mm socket, 32mm shallow socket (oil filter), flat bladed screw driver

Image

Firstly get the front end jacked up I used car ramps makes the job a lot easier.


Remove plastic engine cover simply pull up working your way round the edges. Remove oil filler cap to prevent a vacuum when draining oil, I always place a clean rag over the filler to prevent any debri falling into the engine



underneath the car now you'll see a small flap/window towards the back of the engine tray. Using a flat head screw driver twist the holder to enable you to pull the flap down and gain access to the drain plug

Image

17mm Socket undo the drain plug with a bucket below for the old oil to run into.

Imagescreen shot download

while the oil is draining using your 32mm socket remove the oil filter, is quite tight for space but perfectly managable. using a swivvell head attachment on your ratchet helps with access. Once the filters out it twists anti clockwise and pulls away from the filter housing, replace the rubber oring on the filter housing with the new one provided. Insert your new oil filter, using your new oil 'prime' the filter and the oring. Reinstall the filter and housing now it needs to be tightened to 25nm with your torque wrench

Imagepc screen shot
Imagehow to do a screenshot on a pc

Refit the sump plug with new copper washer, this also needs tightening to 25nm



Lastly fill with oil theres no dipstick to measure but it takes exactly 6.5litres you can check on your onboard computer afterwards to ensure correct amount is in there.

Image
Image


Overall really easy job and for £89 worth doing in my opinion, you can see from the photo how black the oil is.
M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - Dervtech, JB4, LSD, underbody brace, BCS catback, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jamesno1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Given that the sensor can't detect if it's overfilled with oil you may want to stop at 5.5 or 6 litres and see what the screen shows before topping up to max a small amount at a time
M135i

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Williams327 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Jamesno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Given that the sensor can't detect if it's overfilled with oil you may want to stop at 5.5 or 6 litres and see what the screen shows before topping up to max a small amount at a time
You have to start the engine and drive for half an hour so this isn’t possible lol.

It takes 6.5litres exactly
M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - Dervtech, JB4, LSD, underbody brace, BCS catback, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 52423
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Jamesno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Given that the sensor can't detect if it's overfilled with oil
It doesn't? That's disappointing, they always used to.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Williams327 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm
Jamesno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Given that the sensor can't detect if it's overfilled with oil
It doesn't? That's disappointing, they always used to.
If you look on the display it does have a bar above max which to me indicates it will tell you if there’s too much
M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - Dervtech, JB4, LSD, underbody brace, BCS catback, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jamesno1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Williams327 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:56 pm
Jamesno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Given that the sensor can't detect if it's overfilled with oil you may want to stop at 5.5 or 6 litres and see what the screen shows before topping up to max a small amount at a time
You have to start the engine and drive for half an hour so this isn’t possible lol.

It takes 6.5litres exactly
from min to max on the traditional dipstick was around 1 litre so you can do it no problem, and the engine only needs to be at normal operating temp so realistically 10 mins.
M135i

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jamesno1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 pm

I had read a technical bulletin that somebody posted on a forum from bmw which warned that the oil level sensor could not detect more than full. I'll try and find it and post a link. Ridiculous design.....
M135i

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jamesno1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Can't find the actual doc but the copied post below spells it out

"BMW oil sensor will alert you if you have too little or too much oil"....

Don't Think so...there's a document in the official BMW ISTA (Document # FUB-HIL-HI-0006) which covers all F series BMWs and Mini F54-57 models as well.... entitled "Oil Level Measurement" that details exactly what the sensor shows and what action is required. It covers "Oil level below minimum", "Oil level at minimum", "Oil level 1/4 above minimum", "Oil level 1/2 above minimum", "Oil level 3/4 above minimum" and "Oil level at maximum"

There is NO mention of an indication of "Oil level above Maximum" and while the document tells you when oil is to be added (oil level below minimum and oil level at minimum) it make NO mention of draining oil (like the owners manuals all say to do if "excess oil is added")!!!

In fact the last entry in the document "Oil level OK at maximum" says:

"Attention: The sensor does not identify overfilling !"

Which begs the question...if a tech screws up and pours in way too much oil...how are we to know???...And avoid the "...serious engine/catalytic converter damage" from over filling the engine oil that is warned about in our owners' manuals???????
BMW is risking some serious legal exposure here by not providing us with the knowledge we need to avoid loss!
M135i

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 pm

We have had a member overfill oil by more than a litre. Sensor picked up nothing.

Don't rely on it for accuracy.

Great DIY thread!
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - F80 LCA + SuperPro TS castor bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Williams327 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:46 am

Jamesno1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 pm
Can't find the actual doc but the copied post below spells it out

"BMW oil sensor will alert you if you have too little or too much oil"....

Don't Think so...there's a document in the official BMW ISTA (Document # FUB-HIL-HI-0006) which covers all F series BMWs and Mini F54-57 models as well.... entitled "Oil Level Measurement" that details exactly what the sensor shows and what action is required. It covers "Oil level below minimum", "Oil level at minimum", "Oil level 1/4 above minimum", "Oil level 1/2 above minimum", "Oil level 3/4 above minimum" and "Oil level at maximum"

There is NO mention of an indication of "Oil level above Maximum" and while the document tells you when oil is to be added (oil level below minimum and oil level at minimum) it make NO mention of draining oil (like the owners manuals all say to do if "excess oil is added")!!!

In fact the last entry in the document "Oil level OK at maximum" says:

"Attention: The sensor does not identify overfilling !"

Which begs the question...if a tech screws up and pours in way too much oil...how are we to know???...And avoid the "...serious engine/catalytic converter damage" from over filling the engine oil that is warned about in our owners' manuals???????
BMW is risking some serious legal exposure here by not providing us with the knowledge we need to avoid loss!
Good find James! Slightly worrying though
M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - Dervtech, JB4, LSD, underbody brace, BCS catback, Decat, AFE intake, auto id mirrors>diffuser, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts>blades>grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm, M4 pads, braided lines

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Jamesno1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 am

Yes its p*ss poor design is what it is. Our m135i flashed up low oil the other month and when I topped it up I just left it at 3/4 to make sure I never went over.

Wonder what would happen if car goes in for service, technician goes tonto and overfills the oil, car subsequently shits its pants a couple of month later and bmw won't fix under warranty. What a fight that would turn out
M135i

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by Babaa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks for this post Williams327,

Helped make the job very simple and ensured I got all the right parts needed from Cotswold & the tools before starting the job.

I would say though that I'd say that the swivel attachment was more of a 'must' for me rather than just something to make it easier - wouldn't have fancied getting it on properly tight without it.

Cheers -- Babaa
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

User avatar
racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by racey1979 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Good post OP, I will definitely be doing my 240 soon. I always do an oil service on my cars annually regardless of milage.... I only do about 6 to 7k per year. Usually Autumn time in preparation for winter. This is the first car I have owned without a dipstick and I find it annoying. Electronics are great for some things but give me a regular dipstick any day. The best car I owned for keeping an eye on the oil was an old Renault Clio 16 Valve. It had a analogue needle gauge on the instrument cluster which showed the oil level when you turned the ignition on, as well as a dip stick. The analogue gauge was absolutely spot on too and matched the dipstick exactly, it was simple and worked great.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

User avatar
joeclay
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 am

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by joeclay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

Resurrecting an old thread but thanks Williams for this post, did my oil change at the weekend @ 9500 miles - advice on here proved useful doing this change on ramps on my driveway! One thing might be worth pointing out is that I left my oil to drain for a good 20 minutes, just as I was about to replace the plug another decent run of oil came out.

Old oil was black and I certainly wouldn't want to put another 8k on it before 1st service - no copper washer on the sump plug from factory and it came loose with the lightest turn on my torque wrench.

Oil from Opie Oils Millers 0w20 LL14FE (no Fuchs in stock) - £66 with forum discount plus a new copper washer, decided to keep my existing oil filter as I didn't have the tools to remove. Worth it for peace of mind
M140i SE MG AT - Adaptive - Pro Media - Under Body Brace - MPE - AutoID bits

danr
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Re: M140i oil change DIY

Post by danr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

joeclay wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am
Resurrecting an old thread but thanks Williams for this post, did my oil change at the weekend @ 9500 miles - advice on here proved useful doing this change on ramps on my driveway! One thing might be worth pointing out is that I left my oil to drain for a good 20 minutes, just as I was about to replace the plug another decent run of oil came out.

Old oil was black and I certainly wouldn't want to put another 8k on it before 1st service - no copper washer on the sump plug from factory and it came loose with the lightest turn on my torque wrench.

Oil from Opie Oils Millers 0w20 LL14FE (no Fuchs in stock) - £66 with forum discount plus a new copper washer, decided to keep my existing oil filter as I didn't have the tools to remove. Worth it for peace of mind
That's worrying!

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”