Anybody fitted a Milltek?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Spin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Anybody fitted a Milltek?

Post by Spin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 am

I have the Milltek Cat back race with carbon tips and can vouch for it. No drone or rattles and a complete cat back system that is 'valved' and also blue tooth compatible if you buy the controller for around £200 extra. The sound is perfect in my opinion, still refined when cruising in comfort yet dramatic when in sport. It represents far better value than the MPE which I had before .
Quality is superb.
10 Audi S3 - 4*
12 M135i - Estoril F20 Man 4*
63 F21 125d Auto 4*
15 F21 135i Auto
16 RS3
66 Golf R
17 M140 Man
17 M140 auto shadow

TT225 roadster & MX5 mk1 for sunny days

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:08 am

dibbly_dobbler wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm
Sorry probably well-trodden ground but would welcome any thoughts and have a few questions. I have an LCI M135i.

1. Looking at something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milltek-BMW- ... pell_check seems cheap to me? Any idea what fitting might cost?

2. They have a 'race' and a 'road' version - anybody know what the difference is? Race = louder I presume?

3. It's 'cat back' so I presume no issue with passing MOT/fault codes/anything else nasty?

4. I don't believe it has valves (some others eg Remus do I believe) but as I drive on comfort 99% of the time (as I prefer a softer suspension) this makes sense I think as I would want it loud all of the time?

5. Do I need any other bits or anything else I need to consider?

Cheers :)
4 - you’re right it doesn’t have a valve, seems weird as the M235i equivalent exhaust does. This can be seen in the numerous ebay ads. I also contacted milltek to check.

5 - if you purchase just the rear silencer will it fit with the stock centre section?? The pipe entering the milltek rear silencer appears very much central, as opposed to the stock/MPE silencer being on the right hand side as you look at the back of the car. Something to look into further perhaps.

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Spin wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 am
I have the Milltek Cat back race with carbon tips and can vouch for it. No drone or rattles and a complete cat back system that is 'valved' and also blue tooth compatible if you buy the controller for around £200 extra. The sound is perfect in my opinion, still refined when cruising in comfort yet dramatic when in sport. It represents far better value than the MPE which I had before .
Quality is superb.
EB LCI manual M135i with Adaptive, HK, Pro Nav and Comfort... now with Milltek :)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:08 pm

mtechtone wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:08 am
4 - you’re right it doesn’t have a valve, seems weird as the M235i equivalent exhaust does. This can be seen in the numerous ebay ads. I also contacted milltek to check.

5 - if you purchase just the rear silencer will it fit with the stock centre section?? The pipe entering the milltek rear silencer appears very much central, as opposed to the stock/MPE silencer being on the right hand side as you look at the back of the car. Something to look into further perhaps.
Thanks - good point on the fitting... will give them a call to confirm. It would be disappointing if it doesn't fit reasonably easily otherwise why offer it as an option but definitely worth finding out!
EB LCI manual M135i with Adaptive, HK, Pro Nav and Comfort... now with Milltek :)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Called Roadrunner - they have confirmed the ‘rear silencer’ kit will fit with no cutting or welding.

So nothing really to stop me now I think other than indecision of course ;)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Right - have ordered it! One of these: https://www.milltekexhaust-roadrunnermo ... bm957.html

Will advise how it goes from here in case of any interest to others :)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Got it fitted today: cost £80 at local place - no welding needed and only tricky bit was where to cut the old one.

Will get a short video done this weekend but it sounds great - not massively louder but a bit deeper and plenty of pops and crackles etc. To the untrained eye you wouldn't notice much difference in the looks department but I prefer it to the OEM item.

I got the original exhaust away with me and I could barely lift the ruddy thing it's so heavy whereas the Milltek one was a doddle to move about even in a big box :)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Here's a quick video in case in might be of use to others - it's the Milltek Rear Silencer (Road) kit - £600 to buy and £80 to fit :)

ImageBMW M135i Milltek by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Pep675cc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pep675cc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm

Fit looks great and sounds good. I’ve emailed cheapest place I could find for lead time for full system.
M140i Melbourne Red, driver comfort pack, heated seats, PDC rear, sport auto box,Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, black kidney grills, black mirrors, black fins
420d Msport convertible with all the goodies for those sunny days 8)

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Pep675cc wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm
Fit looks great and sounds good. I’ve emailed cheapest place I could find for lead time for full system.
Let us know how you go - I may decide to get the rest of it fitted if I have a rush of blood :)

Pep675cc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pep675cc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 pm

dibbly_dobbler wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:48 pm
Pep675cc wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm
Let us know how you go - I may decide to get the rest of it fitted if I have a rush of blood :)
Will do.
M140i Melbourne Red, driver comfort pack, heated seats, PDC rear, sport auto box,Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, black kidney grills, black mirrors, black fins
420d Msport convertible with all the goodies for those sunny days 8)

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:23 pm

Looks and sounds nice. Really like how the tips suit the shape of the rear bumper on the Milltek systems, sit nice and flush.

Is the right side sitting just a tad lower? Assuming theres a clamp just before the silencer you may just be able to loosen it, lift the right side tip and tighten the clamp.

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 pm

mtechtone wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:23 pm
Looks and sounds nice. Really like how the tips suit the shape of the rear bumper on the Milltek systems, sit nice and flush.

Is the right side sitting just a tad lower? Assuming theres a clamp just before the silencer you may just be able to loosen it, lift the right side tip and tighten the clamp.
Sorry didn't notice your reply until now. Yes I like the way it sits also - it is a wee bit off level but probably not enough for me to be bothered doing anything about it!

dibbly_dobbler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dibbly_dobbler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Does anybody think there would be much difference in sound between the full 'cat back' system and the 'rear silencer' kit which I had fitted?

I am now starting to think I want a wee bit more and could buy the extra bits easily enough I think to upgrade to the full system :)

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 pm

If there is no centre muffler and/or resonator on the milltek then yes.

It is the middle two boxes that kill most of the noise on the standard zorst.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”