Strange handling

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

R88ory
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Strange handling

Post by R88ory » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am

Recently had my rear tyres replaced as one got punctured and they were both down to 3mm or so had 255/35 R18 Goodyear Assym 3's as I had them on my last 1 series and felt like overall they suit our conditions better than the MPSS.

Since having them on the car something is very off, car feels un stable at motorway speeds, the steering is extremely sensitive to any input and it feel almost like it wants to over steer all of the time. I have tried adjusting tyre pressures which kind of helped but has certainly not fixed the issue. (Thanks Marco)

Last night coming home I was driving down our local dual carriage way and was weaving intentionally to try and feel what its doing, it almost feels as though it turns in normally then the back end wants to come round harder than the front like over steer but without me inducing it with throttle, then just as the car started to settle after me weaving the brakes/ABS came on. I assume because the traction control felt the car was sliding. I was in traction mode at this point. If driving in comfort the traction light flashes a lot when cornering even when I'm not pushing the car, for instance when joining motorways there quite often those sweeping turns that bring you to the slip way, holding steady throttle through the bend I can feel/hear the traction control pulling power so its obviously detecting something strange.

I think I have two options, either replace the rears with a set of MPSS or change the fronts, not really sure what I want to do, I have seen plenty of people running Assym 3's without issue so I don't think there is an issue with them per say but possibly the very new rears over ruling the fronts, (MPSS with around 4mm)

Any advice would be great as I'm in a bit of a quandary and just want the car to feel stable/normal again.

Cheers

Trojantrow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Strange handling

Post by Trojantrow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am

Well. This is a long shot. But it's possible that in this very warm weather that the mpss that you have on the front have lots more grip than the good years on the back.

The good years are good don't get me wrong but they have a very soft side wall compared to the mpss and in very dry warm conditions the mpss should handle quite a bit better. But not so in wet.

I honestly think that if you either put good years on the front or mpss on the rear. It would feel fine.

It's the different characteristics of the tyres fighting against each other I feel..

Might be talking sh*t. But we are very sensitive to changes. Just being on this type of forum proves that.we are very particular about our motors.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

billyM135i

Post by billyM135i » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:55 am

Worth getting the tracking done?

Also what you're saying about the traction light flashing a lot even in comfort mode doesn't sound right to me. I would suggest that it might be worth getting BMW to check that - especially if your car is still under warranty.

I pretty much drive in Sport+ 99% of the time and only really get the traction control coming on when I'm deliberately provoking it or when it's wet.

R88ory
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by R88ory » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks Guys, just found another thread where the guy was reporting almost identical issues and having matched fronts cured it so looks like that might be my best option.

I think its probably just imbalance between the different characteristics of the tyres. Fingers crossed anyway as it get expensive playing with tyres...

Cheers

Nathan135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nathan135i » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

R88ory wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 am
Thanks Guys, just found another thread where the guy was reporting almost identical issues and having matched fronts cured it so looks like that might be my best option.

I think its probably just imbalance between the different characteristics of the tyres. Fingers crossed anyway as it get expensive playing with tyres...

Cheers
funnily enough i've been experiencing a similar issue. I had ASY3 on the rears and PSS on the front and it was fine.

After putting ASY3 on the front to match it felt twichy at high speeds. Really twitch so much so i nearly binned it. Had it tracked and still feels like sh*t. I will post the diagram i have for the tracking if anyone knows what it should be. HERE https://imgur.com/a/xIMIlvU
M135i F20 | EB | Pro Media | HK Audio | Sun Protection | Visibility Pack | Comfort Pack | Black Panel Display | Heated Seats

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 pm

R88ory wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am
Recently had my rear tyres replaced as one got punctured and they were both down to 3mm or so had 255/35 R18 Goodyear Assym 3's as I had them on my last 1 series and felt like overall they suit our conditions better than the MPSS.
Can you remind us which wheels you're running, and the offset please?
R88ory wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am

Last night coming home I was driving down our local dual carriage way and was weaving intentionally to try and feel what its doing, it almost feels as though it turns in normally then the back end wants to come round harder than the front like over steer but without me inducing it with throttle, then just as the car started to settle after me weaving the brakes/ABS came on. I assume because the traction control felt the car was sliding. I was in traction mode at this point. If driving in comfort the traction light flashes a lot when cornering even when I'm not pushing the car, for instance when joining motorways there quite often those sweeping turns that bring you to the slip way, holding steady throttle through the bend I can feel/hear the traction control pulling power so its obviously detecting something strange.
I wonder if you're upsetting the yaw sensor? Do you have traction issues in a straight line?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm

Nathan135i wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm
funnily enough i've been experiencing a similar issue. I had ASY3 on the rears and PSS on the front and it was fine.

After putting ASY3 on the front to match it felt twichy at high speeds. Really twitch so much so i nearly binned it. Had it tracked and still feels like sh*t. I will post the diagram i have for the tracking if anyone knows what it should be. HERE https://imgur.com/a/xIMIlvU
What cold pressures are you running?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Nathan135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nathan135i » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm
Nathan135i wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

What cold pressures are you running?
Mainly 35 all round. Was a very hot day when i experienced the twitchyness while changing lanes.
M135i F20 | EB | Pro Media | HK Audio | Sun Protection | Visibility Pack | Comfort Pack | Black Panel Display | Heated Seats

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 am

35 stone cold could be a little high, maybe try 32 or 33 for a week, see how that feels?

(BMW recommend 32, I like 33)

JS84

Post by JS84 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 pm

I had exactly the same issue! MPSS's on front, new GY Asy3's on the rear
You need to change the fronts to GY Asy3's and this fixes it!

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”