Wiper blade came off and smashed my windscreen!!!

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Ckpearce91
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Wiper blade came off and smashed my windscreen!!!

Post by Ckpearce91 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm

In 7 years of driving I have never needed a new windscreen on any of my cars. But today when I washed my car my wiper smashed the glass.

Basically I had the wipers up as I was cleaning the glass, I then went to push them back down and the blade rubber flew out of the arm and at the same time the arm swung down and smashed the glass!

I’m guessing this was just a fluke accident, but does anyone else think the blades come out just too easily? ImageImage

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Wiper blade came off and smashed my windscreen!!!

Post by NISFAN » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

There was another thread recently when exactly the same thing happened.

The glass of course can be cracked by driving in heavy rain it’s that thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Ckpearce91
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ckpearce91 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 pm

NISFAN wrote:There was another thread recently when exactly the same thing happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried searching for a thread to see if it’s happened before but couldn’t find one. It’s just so annoying!

Tony444
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tony444 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:01 am

It happened to me on a 1 series years ago. I left the car in for a service and BMW replaced the blades as part of the service pack, next day washed the car and when I lifted the wiper arm the blade came off and the arm smashed the windscreen. Took the car back to the dealer as my argument was the wiper blade wasn’t fitted correctly. After much argument they paid the £50 excess to the insurance.
Quite s8mply it’s a sh*t design and has been for years.
Current - M240i step, Lotus Elise 111R
Previous - Scirocco 2lt DSG

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 am

NISFAN wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

:rotfl:
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Ckpearce91
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ckpearce91 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:48 am

Tony444 wrote:It happened to me on a 1 series years ago. I left the car in for a service and BMW replaced the blades as part of the service pack, next day washed the car and when I lifted the wiper arm the blade came off and the arm smashed the windscreen. Took the car back to the dealer as my argument was the wiper blade wasn’t fitted correctly. After much argument they paid the £50 excess to the insurance.
Quite s8mply it’s a sh*t design and has been for years.
It is a sh*t design isn’t it. I’m taking it to bmw this morning. The woman on the the phone tried telling me the reason the wiper arm swung down was because it is spring loaded and that’s what keeps the blade on the screen
Me: “🤬🤬 I know how wipers work!!! The spring is not the issue!!!!”

Green Machine

Post by Green Machine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:36 am

Happened to me just over 2 weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before either, but exactly the same thing happened. Lifted the wiper up and ended up left with the rubber bit in my hand and a much lighter wallet.

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=112169
'16 VO M140i AT

Ckpearce91
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ckpearce91 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 am

Green Machine wrote:Happened to me just over 2 weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before either, but exactly the same thing happened. Lifted the wiper up and ended up left with the rubber bit in my hand and a much lighter wallet.

When it happened, I just couldn’t believe it. I’ve ended up going through insurance on my one, it’s cost me £100 which is still annoying as I’ve only had the car 4 months, done 2,500 miles and it’s needed a new front tyre too. This car just seems to be bad luck.

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Never heard anything like it, these windscreens must be rubbish.

StrangelyBrown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by StrangelyBrown » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Ckpearce91 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 am
Green Machine wrote:Happened to me just over 2 weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before either, but exactly the same thing happened. Lifted the wiper up and ended up left with the rubber bit in my hand and a much lighter wallet.

When it happened, I just couldn’t believe it. I’ve ended up going through insurance on my one, it’s cost me £100 which is still annoying as I’ve only had the car 4 months, done 2,500 miles and it’s needed a new front tyre too. This car just seems to be bad luck.
Bought my previous car - Mk7 Golf GTD new in March 2016, 6 weeks later and large bee hit the windscreen and cracked it. Literally 12 months later, on the same stretch of the M3, cracked the windscreen again, however this was due to a stone, not a bee :)
125D M Sport auto - With additional stuff.

Ckpearce91
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ckpearce91 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 pm

StrangelyBrown wrote:
Ckpearce91 wrote:

Bought my previous car - Mk7 Golf GTD new in March 2016, 6 weeks later and large bee hit the windscreen and cracked it. Literally 12 months later, on the same stretch of the M3, cracked the windscreen again, however this was due to a stone, not a bee :)
Image a large bee, are you sure? Haha. I had a mk3 Leon FR previous to this for 3 years, covered 28,000 miles and even drove it to Croatia and then on to Hungary and back again and never even had a crack. I’ve never needed to replace a screen on any of my personal cars. I’ve had a few replacements on my vans though

StrangelyBrown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by StrangelyBrown » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Ckpearce91 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 pm
StrangelyBrown wrote:
Ckpearce91 wrote:

Image a large bee, are you sure? Haha. I had a mk3 Leon FR previous to this for 3 years, covered 28,000 miles and even drove it to Croatia and then on to Hungary and back again and never even had a crack. I’ve never needed to replace a screen on any of my personal cars. I’ve had a few replacements on my vans though
Absolutely sure, it may have been a hornet, either way it was massive. It seems that VW reduced the thickness of the windscreen lose some weight. I had two Mk7 GTD's in the space of four years and on average cracked 1 screen a year.
125D M Sport auto - With additional stuff.

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Mr Rain Drop and Mr Large Bee (or hornet) must’ve been breaking the laws of physics, traveling at multiples of c

* c is approx 300,000 km/s :wink:
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ZChris » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Maybe it was a stripy stone?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”