Winter Wheels and Tyre Sizes

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Winter Wheels and Tyre Sizes

Post by ZChris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am

Now I know this post is akin to asking about the Christmas party menu choices in the middle of summer, but I'm looking to get some winter wheels and tyres sorted now whilst the prices are lowest.

I've heard that slimmer tyres are always an advantage on a winter tyre as there is more weight on the contact area, but then plenty of folk say the m-lites have slightly skinny back tyres anyway.

Dos anyone have any recommendations for wheel and tyre size? I'm not looking for fancy alloys and will probably get some simple black steel wheels if that suits the tyre size option. I'd rather spend the money on a decent tyre brand that might prevent me getting stuck on anything greater than a light frost on a 1% incline.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Winter Wheels and Tyre Sizes

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:10 am

Post 10 in the M-Lite FAQ Sticky: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ZChris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks, that's very helpful

It's not much fun though. Peoples opinions are always useful :)

sir richard large
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sir richard large » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 am

Pressure (force / area) has to do with clawing your way over mud slush and snow.

If you don't have that on your roads, then the footprint of the tires is less of a consideration.

The main consideration then would be temperature, and whether the tires have the right compound for the lower temps.

I'm going with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 in 225/40 squares because....Michelin. Plus I've run them on my previous car and they're quiet with good road feel. And we have snow here and they don't come in staggered sizes for me

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:38 am

ContiWinterContact TS 850 P are the best winter tyres imo, I personally run Nokian WR A4's as the Finns know snow too.

235mm rears are a minimum if you still want to make reasonable progress in the dry.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am

Standard used alloys would probably be my preferred option Chris rather than faffing with steel rims. You can pick them up occasionally for not a lot of money either.
Set here for just over £450: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-18-B ... lloys.TRS0

Look around though and you might get them cheaper or with winter tyres pre-fitted if you're lucky.
2012 Alpine White F20 M135i

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Conti TS830 225 square on original 436M’s have done me proud over the last 2 winters. I expect the same again this coming winter.

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ZChris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm

GMballistic wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:50 am
Standard used alloys would probably be my preferred option Chris rather than faffing with steel rims. You can pick them up occasionally for not a lot of money either.
Set here for just over £450: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-18-B ... lloys.TRS0

Look around though and you might get them cheaper or with winter tyres pre-fitted if you're lucky.
Thing is, with steel wheels you look like you are in winter mode, which I kind of like. 17" steel with tyres from MrWinterWheels are about £850 with the contis.
Mr Winter Wheels also do 17" alloy and tyre combos that look ok. Not terrific but not that bad. Comes out at £960+
Both of theses are a bit of an ouch, but that does include the pressure sensors and full balancing etc.
http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/17-bmw- ... ls-en.html

I'll keep an eye on ebay too, Cheers 8)

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 pm

ZChris, I assume you've looked at the 2 Series Winter Wheels & Tyres at

http://www.babybmw.net/howtos/Winter%20 ... s%20v3.pdf

As to tyre width, while narrower tyres do work better on snow, the key advantage is that they disperse water better (all other things being equal). So that's the main reason why I go down to rears with 7.5Jx17 + 225/45-17 in the winter, from the summer 8Jx18 + 245/35-18.

There's a price to pay in warm and dry conditions - the winter setup just isn't as good. But being winter, most days are colder and wetter or rainy and so on balance, they win out, until spring comes along.

As far as alloys vs steels go, I prefer to get some anonymous alloys for the winters - but it's a matter of personal choice and budget. Mine are Wolfrace Drive 7.5Jx17 and cost £95 each +VAT and I thought it worth the extra £100-£150 or so over steels to get a nicer look.

I also got new bolts as well, to match the lighter wheel colours compared to the orbit grey original summers. Two points to bear in mind: if you're using a non-BMW supplier, make absolutely sure they understand about the larger M Performance brakes. And that they take the precaution of checking the wheel fits around the calipers before they put the tyre on: wheel suppliers won't take a wheel back once a tyre's been fitted and anyway, you don't want an argument if you get wheel/caliper damage because of a misunderstanding.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Father Mapple

Post by Father Mapple » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 am

ZChris wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm
GMballistic wrote:

Thing is, with steel wheels you look like you are in winter mode, which I kind of like. 17" steel with tyres from MrWinterWheels are about £850 with the contis.
Mr Winter Wheels also do 17" alloy and tyre combos that look ok. Not terrific but not that bad. Comes out at £960+
Both of theses are a bit of an ouch, but that does include the pressure sensors and full balancing etc.

I have just bought those same wheels, but with Avon winter tyres in 225/45 -17 I doubt they will be as good as the Continentals I used before, but hopefully will be good enough. I was going to get 18" as I was concerned the 17" wouldn't clear the caliper The web site states they are guaranteed to fit and sure enough they do. I took the front off to check since I didn't want to find this out in December. I did consider the steel wheels as this is what I have on the wife's Audi, but the price of the alloy wheels seemed pretty reasonable so went with them instead.
M140

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:46 am

I'm very tempted to go down the X1 steel wheels route as none of the sites recommend steel wheels for the M140.
My main question is what tyres to fit, I'm very tempted by the michelin crossclimate+ given that the vast majority of the time I'll be driving on tarmac (i.e. not snow), I recon I can sacrifice some snow/ice capability for much better tarmac capability. And if it gets really horrible I have snow socks as well. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuqGUgbcIk)
March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ZChris » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:49 am

msej449 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 pm
ZChris, I assume you've looked at the 2 Series Winter Wheels & Tyres at

http://www.babybmw.net/howtos/Winter%20 ... s%20v3.pdf
That is very useful as its got the explanation of the wheel and tyre sizes, thanks.

I've driven a big and powerful 4x4 on Winters all year round and although the grip performance suffered it was still drivable. With the changeable weather its possible to have them on for 6 months of the year so I want some decent wheels (that was me talking myself out of steelies and into alloys).

The only bit I don't like is the inevitable call to the insurers twice a year, or even more if I change to summers too early and have to change back <sigh>.

stag74
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stag74 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 am

Father Mapple wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 am
ZChris wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm
GMballistic wrote:

I have just bought those same wheels, but with Avon winter tyres in 225/45 -17 I doubt they will be as good as the Continentals I used before, but hopefully will be good enough. I was going to get 18" as I was concerned the 17" wouldn't clear the caliper The web site states they are guaranteed to fit and sure enough they do. I took the front off to check since I didn't want to find this out in December. I did consider the steel wheels as this is what I have on the wife's Audi, but the price of the alloy wheels seemed pretty reasonable so went with them instead.
Just to confirm, you bought the 17" black borbet alloys and they fit okay with caliper clearance?
Look a nice wheel, and easier to clean I would imagine too in winter.
M140i 3 Door Manual

Father Mapple

Post by Father Mapple » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:40 pm

stag74 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 am
Just to confirm, you bought the 17" black borbet alloys and they fit okay with caliper clearance?
Look a nice wheel, and easier to clean I would imagine too in winter.
Yes the Borbet black 17" are the ones. I took off the front 18" and bolted up the 17" and it fits fine with no interference, thought its pretty close! I was surprised by how much lighter they are compared to the oem with Bridgestone run flats.
M140

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”