Pre LCI M135i Gearbox Whine

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

bsky

Pre LCI M135i Gearbox Whine

Post by bsky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Quick Write up -

2014 Pre LCI M135i developed gearbox whine in 2nd, Reverse and a more constant high pitched whine in 6th after two months of ownership.

Took into my local dealer who said its a characteristic, they raised it with BMW who also said its a characteristic, i then took the issue to dealer i bought it from and they have said they have no grounds to do anything because the other communications have said its a characteristic.

Im writing an email to BMW Customer Service now, does anyone have any advice?

Cheers.

aftershox

Re: Pre LCI M135i Gearbox Whine

Post by aftershox » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi,

I have a 2015 M235i. Bought from dealer and within 1 week noticed the whine, was present in 1st and 2nd also in reverse.

The tech at the local dealership put it up on a ramp and it was whining in reverse with no load on the lift. So BMW replaced it.

Local dealer was happy to help, but I think it's case by case.

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Mine definitely does it in reverse but can barely hear it in other gears. Will probably just leave it like it tbh

new666uk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by new666uk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I had the whine on a pre LCI m135 too. 2nd, 4th and reverse.

Took to dealer, technician heard is as soon as he backed out the parking space. Got a complete new gearbox fitted under warranty. Car was just under 3years old and about 30k miles. No fuss at all.
F21 M135i 3dr auto. Estoril blue, black leather.

Previously:
e46 330Ci M-Sport. Coupe, Imola red with black leather
e36 325iA SE with Alpina trim. Coupe, Black (met) with black leather
e36 325iA SE. Coupe, Lagoon green (met) with cream leather.

bsky

Post by bsky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm

new666uk wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 pm
I had the whine on a pre LCI m135 too. 2nd, 4th and reverse.

Took to dealer, technician heard is as soon as he backed out the parking space. Got a complete new gearbox fitted under warranty. Car was just under 3years old and about 30k miles. No fuss at all.
Wow, it is strange how its handled differently depending on technician and dealer.

Tricky401
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Tricky401 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:35 pm

i was told it was a characteristic on my car, i argues the noise should be there from day 1 to be a characteristic not after 5000miles.

i refused to collect the car and asked for another opinion. the next day the senior tech for the area ( could be just bs) heard the noise and ordered a new gearbox and was fitted the following week
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Mine's well out of warranty now so it can whine haha!

bsky

Post by bsky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Will see how it goes with BMW Customer Service, if nothing happens i may just have to decat it and put a new panel filter in to try increase noise from other areas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nathtearle

Post by Nathtearle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Have to admit, threads like these are slightly concerning! I have a 62 plate M135i which whines in reverse, but doesn't whine at all in any other gear - I assumed this was just because the reverse gear is naturally a higher pitch than the others.

Anyone had an auto box blow up on them? Only seen one instance of someone having the box replaced because it went bang, should I be concerned? Car's on 44k and no warranty but was debating going into BMW to see how much I'd be looking at for warranty on it now?

bsky

Post by bsky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Nathtearle wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm
Have to admit, threads like these are slightly concerning! I have a 62 plate M135i which whines in reverse, but doesn't whine at all in any other gear - I assumed this was just because the reverse gear is naturally a higher pitch than the others.

Anyone had an auto box blow up on them? Only seen one instance of someone having the box replaced because it went bang, should I be concerned? Car's on 44k and no warranty but was debating going into BMW to see how much I'd be looking at for warranty on it now?
Never seen any posts pointing towards boxes blowing up, but it is concerning the inconsistency BMW are showing by replacing some boxes and ignoring others and calling it a characteristic.

In regards to warranty, may be worth looking into, never a bad idea.

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Nathtearle wrote:

The gearbox won't blow! Reverse is really common to whine on them! I've heard and driven quite a few M135i's and they've all done it amazingly

Nathtearle

Post by Nathtearle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Bluebird wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Nathtearle wrote:

The gearbox won't blow! Reverse is really common to whine on them! I've heard and driven quite a few M135i's and they've all done it amazingly
bsky wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm
Nathtearle wrote:

Never seen any posts pointing towards boxes blowing up, but it is concerning the inconsistency BMW are showing by replacing some boxes and ignoring others and calling it a characteristic.

In regards to warranty, may be worth looking into, never a bad idea.
Thanks Bluebird, that puts my mind at ease for now - let's just hope the dreaded 2nd gear doesn't start whining - already got the other half for that!! :lol:

Bsky - this is also frustrating me. I hate that it depends on the dealer/tech involved for anything to be done or not done. Should be some kind of policy across all dealerships so they remain consistent. I used to know a guy in my local dealer, might have to see if he's still there or not :?

Nath

Tricky401

Post by Tricky401 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 pm

As far as I know it’s only reconditioned boxes now anyway not a brand new box

I too have never heard of one failing but as my car hasn’t even reached a year old I pushed to get it changed
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

garysan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by garysan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Tricky401 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 pm
As far as I know it’s only reconditioned boxes now anyway not a brand new box

I too have never heard of one failing but as my car hasn’t even reached a year old I pushed to get it changed
I can speak with experience of this. Had my auto box changed because of consistent whine in 4th and 5th (2016 LCI at about 20k). Replaced with a remanufactured box (says so on the warranty invoice I asked for). Worth remembering that it's in the dealers' interest to pursue for a warranty claim as they are then paid the labour for the job which is not to sniffed out (I've seen the figures!).

My new box now only whistles a little in some gears some of the time. Might even be turbo noise but certainly less volume than before and a lot less consistent.

I test drove a 4k old M240i the other week for a few hours and it howled like a good un in most gears up above 3.5k. Maybe it had been beasted from cold a few too many times but put me right off the possibility of an upgrade. Well, that and £9.5k they wanted to switch mid-term PCP and keep my monthlies the same.
Current: 2016 M135i Alpine White, ProNav, Adaptive Suspension, Motech Eibach, TPI Spacers, F22 U/C Brace
Previous: 2013 E70 X5 40d Carbon Black, ProNav | 2011 E92 335d | 2004 CLK55 AMG | 2003 VW Passat V6 TDI

Scooby Jay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Scooby Jay » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Had mine replaced 2 years ago due to whine in reverse, no noise in any other gears, it was just in warranty but the bill on the invoice was for £7.5, hasn't made a noise since though. :D
M135i / alpine white / coral red / auto / pro nav / adaptive / HK audio / electric heated seats / privacy glass / black panel :)

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”