Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Does a track day destroy the car?

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Locoblade wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:33 pm
Samp4856 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Yup full circuit buddy, its around 190hp and 170lbft id love a bike but i couldnt trust myself on one!
I wouldn't trust myself on a quick bike either hence building the next best thing, a car powered by a bike engine! 😂
Would like to have a go in a BEC to see what they're like. I had an old Tiger Cat kit car with an old Sierra 2.0L lump in it. Straight line acceleration wasn't amazing but cornered amazingly well. With a decent bike engine I'd expect it to really go some. Does the gearbox hold up ok though - I'd expect even though light for a car, it's still nearly 3 times the weight intended for the engine.

I've done Cadwell on my bike (FZ1) and that was a good buzz. Didn't set any lap records as it was my first bike track day and first time at Cadwell so was getting to know the track, but really enjoyed it and wheelying over the mountain (accidentally) caused quite a brown trouser moment :)

Johncshon

Post by Johncshon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

I did Brands Hatch recently and was great fun. I left Bluespark off most of the time and put it on for last 40 minutes. Initially it was awesome with Bluespark but it went into limp mode after 20 minutes. Scary moment as I thought we blew something, switch off engine and back on after 2 minutes, drivetrain error gone. Now Bluespark no more.

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Would like to have a go in a BEC to see what they're like. I had an old Tiger Cat kit car with an old Sierra 2.0L lump in it. Straight line acceleration wasn't amazing but cornered amazingly well. With a decent bike engine I'd expect it to really go some. Does the gearbox hold up ok though - I'd expect even though light for a car, it's still nearly 3 times the weight intended for the engine.

I've done Cadwell on my bike (FZ1) and that was a good buzz. Didn't set any lap records as it was my first bike track day and first time at Cadwell so was getting to know the track, but really enjoyed it and wheelying over the mountain (accidentally) caused quite a brown trouser moment :)
Sorry only just seen this, gearboxes can be a weak point although certain engines are stronger then others and I've been away from the "scene" for best part of 10 years so there may well be other favoured engines now that don't have any weaknesses. Clutches were the weakest point on the late 90s RRX Fireblade engines I used originally although only 20 minutes to change so not the end of the world. I then changed to a 2003 R1 lump which had a stronger clutch and gearbox as well as another ~30bhp. I did wreck an R1 gearbox at Spa Francorchamps (the first morning of a 2 day trackday so I wasn't best pleased!) but I discovered that was caused by a loose linkage not engaging gears properly rather than anything intrinsically weak with the box itself, and other than that one issue the R1 was pretty reliable.

Gummi

Post by Gummi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:07 am

Slightly off topi, but only slightly!
What's the score with warranty, is this voided by doing a track day?
I feel its left a little vague in the t&c's

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:22 am

Gummi wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:07 am
Slightly off topi, but only slightly!
What's the score with warranty, is this voided by doing a track day?
I feel its left a little vague in the t&c's
Competitive Motorsport will void the warranty, but a 'run what you brung' track day isn't considered competitive.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Matt Scarbro
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:47 am

NISFAN wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Yeah but 30 minute stints are only a handful of laps in an MX5.....they are dog slow. And don’t forget they can only be driven by morons that won’t let anyone else pass. Image🤬

ImageImageImage
Let us know if you’re ever at Cadwell Nisfan :wink: :lol:

Samp4856
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:19 am

Matt Scarbro wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:47 am
NISFAN wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Yeah but 30 minute stints are only a handful of laps in an MX5.....they are dog slow. And don’t forget they can only be driven by morons that won’t let anyone else pass. Image🤬

ImageImageImage
Let us know if you’re ever at Cadwell Nisfan :wink: :lol:
I want in on this matt, although after our last day at cadwell the NC needs some loving 😂
M140 Shadow edition manual lots of goodies! :spotman:

ugly_bloke
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ugly_bloke » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Just a bit of feedback on the track day.... SOOOO glad I did it. The M140i really comes to life on a track and punches way above it's weight. Performance, grip and braking were all very impressive. I took advice from here to do warm up and warm down laps.

No problems with engine/fluid temps and nothing broke. Brakes did smell a little towards the end and I thought I'd melted the tyres as they felt like chewing gum. It took a week or so for them do go back to normal and I still have 5mm of tread left.

Its not cheap by the time you add fuel and insurance but I would highly recommend doing a track day, even if its just the once.
LHP_9134 - Copy.jpg
LHP_9134 - Copy.jpg (184.19 KiB) Viewed 57 times
LHP_9677 - Copy.jpg
LHP_9677 - Copy.jpg (214.08 KiB) Viewed 57 times
Current: M140i, AW, Auto, Shadow, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Heated seats, ApplePlay, HK etc
Previous: F20 120d M Sport, Auto, Silver, Comfort Packs, Xenons, Pro Media, Folding Mirrors, Heated Leather, Brushed Alu, Enhanced BT.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”