Strange noises coming from behind the dash

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Strange noises coming from behind the dash

Post by zabba1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 pm

On 3 occasions now I've heard some strange noises coming from behind the dash. In all cases, the car has been switched off after a drive while I've then waited in the car. It seems to happen about 5 mins after it's been switched off.

The first time I honestly thought it was a mouse, the sort of noise I'd expect one to make if it was crawling around the ventilation system. It only lasts about 10-15 seconds. But then it's done the same twice again and same tineframe, so don't think it is a mouse! Any ideas? Do the vents or Aircon do something after it's been sat for a few minutes?

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Strange noises coming from behind the dash

Post by GeoffCollins » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm

zabba1 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 pm
On 3 occasions now I've heard some strange noises coming from behind the dash. In all cases, the car has been switched off after a drive while I've then waited in the car. It seems to happen about 5 mins after it's been switched off.

The first time I honestly thought it was a mouse, the sort of noise I'd expect one to make if it was crawling around the ventilation system. It only lasts about 10-15 seconds. But then it's done the same twice again and same tineframe, so don't think it is a mouse! Any ideas? Do the vents or Aircon do something after it's been sat for a few minutes?
My M135i 2014 makes a mechanical noise after its been sitting there for a few minutes after being switched off, can't remember what it is, but it's normal,

But it doesn't sound like a mouse, so maybe you are talking about something else, it's very difficult to diagnose sounds over the internet :lol:

Also quite useful to put model and year of car so we know what your talking about!
M135i (2014 Manual) - Custom Stainless Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, M4 Front Pads, MeisterR Coilovers, Cades Bern Wheels, Reiger Diffuser, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills, M4 Mirror Caps

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Sorry it's a 2017 m240i. It's not a particularly mechanical sound.

Inpher

Post by Inpher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I have noises from behind the dash as well (around the centre air vents) which occur every time the car is switched off and stands for about 5 minutes.

It doesn't sound like a mouse to me - it's a mechanical sound. A series of whirring and clunking noises which stop after a while.

I also get an electrical "powering up" sound from the rear if I unlock the car after not driving it for a few days. I assume this is the car waking up from a low power state.

2015 M235i

DBMatt

Post by DBMatt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I get the noises in my M135i from round the centre vents. Think it’s just things shutting down.

Don’t think the 12V power actually turns off for 5 or so minutes after turning the engine off. Screen and speedo stay live for a while etc. Must be just something to do with that.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Inpher wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm
I have noises from behind the dash as well (around the centre air vents) which occur every time the car is switched off and stands for about 5 minutes.

It doesn't sound like a mouse to me - it's a mechanical sound. A series of whirring and clunking noises which stop after a while.
Thanks, to be honest sounds pretty similar, so that puts my mind at rest. Some whirring and clunking, but almost like something is moving around. Anyway, sounds like it's normal. Cheers

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shifty_dave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

I think this is just the ventilation system closing everything up to the outside environment.
16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / Privacy Glass / Heated Seats

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”