Late to the party

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

SteadyRed

Late to the party

Post by SteadyRed » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:56 pm

After originally test driving an M140i over a year ago, today we finally signed on the dotted line.

Unfortunately in late 2016 the Mrs was made redundant, so we decided not to commit to the M140i whilst she was out of work, not much has changed with the Mrs only having a couple of contract jobs between then & now.

Anyway here we are late 2018, about a month ago I had a day off work so visited the local BMW dealer and arranged another test drive, surprised the Mrs on a Saturday morning when we drove to the BMW Dealer.

After an hour in the car (without a sales person) we decided to go for it, speccd the car exactly as we wanted, well within the £40k RFL limit.

5dr
Arctic White
Adaptive suspension
Pro Media
Electric folding/dipping mirrors
Through load with net (we have retired greyhounds the net will prevent ingress into the front seats!) Will be talking to boot liner people about a larger custom liner to go right upto the net.
Electric heated seats (must have with leather seats)
Electric adjustable seats (manual seats took an age to correctly adjust and if we are going to both be using the car this seems like a sensible option.
PDC front & rear (Mrs wanted these), having now parked an M140i in a tight space a the dealer site, I understand why.
grey windscreen shade band (hopefully reduce glare)
high beam assist (convenience)

The only issue was who was going to have this as their car! On the test drive Mrs amazed me with how confident she was with the M140i compared to our Subaru Impreza WRX STi which is a very similarly sized car and we have had for 8 years. I think the auto box helped alot as she could concentrate on placing the car on the road without thinking about which gear to be in to get out of a bend etc.

She drove the BMW like she had driven if for years, on narrow lanes etc.

We have not driven a car with adaptive suspension, nearest demo car we could find was 70 miles away, so we took a risk on that option, we shall see.

Role on delivery day.

I will miss the Subaru it has never missed a beat, in poor weather, it cannot be beaten, either for fun or reliably getting you from A to B. With winter tyres it will go anywhere. I was tempted to keep it and let the Mrs have the M140i, but the £500+ RFL is getting stupid.
current: Subaru Impreza WRX STi hatch
Soon: BMW M140i 5dr

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Late to the party

Post by racey1979 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Late....but not too late....as your new car still has six cylinders :spotman:

Enjoy !!!!! :wink:
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

scov1984
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by scov1984 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am

Nice spec. Must be close to £40k list? Did you get a good discount?
Arrived!: M140i Shadow Edition, 5dr Auto
Gone: Audi A5 2.0T Revo stage 1

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:04 am

It is close to the 40k, but we did get a very decent discount. We keep our cars longer than most so we wanted the car to fit our needs.

Blades1977
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Blades1977 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome, good purchase obviously and you'll struggle knowing what to buy next. Hopefully be a few years yet though 😀
F20 M140i SE auto, black leather and alpine white

F20 M135i, manual, red leather and alpine white

garysan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by garysan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:17 am

Adaptive well worth it. Supremely comfortable ride at low to moderate speeds. I would never be without it now.
Current: 2016 M135i Alpine White, ProNav, Adaptive Suspension, Motech Eibach, TPI Spacers, F22 U/C Brace
Previous: 2013 E70 X5 40d Carbon Black, ProNav | 2011 E92 335d | 2004 CLK55 AMG | 2003 VW Passat V6 TDI

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 pm

@Blades1977, thanks for the welcome. What will be available in future? Will we be driving 3 cylinder 1Litre cars, in a world where battery electric has taken over? We have to enjoy RWD, 6 cylinder luxury whilst we can.

@garysan when we spoke to dealers about adaptive, not one of the 5 we spoke to suggested adaptive suspension is a worth while option, the way they spoke they would have put adaptive right at the bottom of their option list. Glad we listened to owners on the forum & ticked that box.

Now the wait begins.

D

Blades1977
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Blades1977 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:37 pm

SteadyRed wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 pm
@Blades1977, thanks for the welcome. What will be available in future? Will we be driving 3 cylinder 1Litre cars, in a world where battery electric has taken over? We have to enjoy RWD, 6 cylinder luxury whilst we can.

@garysan when we spoke to dealers about adaptive, not one of the 5 we spoke to suggested adaptive suspension is a worth while option, the way they spoke they would have put adaptive right at the bottom of their option list. Glad we listened to owners on the forum & ticked that box.

Now the wait begins.

D
Too true - some battery powered car which we'll find out has damaged the environment due to unethical mining methods for the lithium.

Let's enjoy these cars we have!

Any plans for a road trip?

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 pm

We hope to get a week in North West Scotland, but all depends upon when we get the new car.

D

Blades1977
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Blades1977 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:27 pm

SteadyRed wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 pm
We hope to get a week in North West Scotland, but all depends upon when we get the new car.

D
👍👍

Rossva
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rossva » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 am

Welcome aboard dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Received an email today from our dealer to say that our build would be delayed by approx. three weeks, we are now looking at November! Not impressed considering we had a build slot which was amended to our spec.

Anyone else been notified of factory delays?

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Have you got a factory order number so you can track it through the process via BMW Genius? It may just be genuine delays but if you've not got a trackable order number it's possible you could be being played by an unscrupulous dealer whos bumped your order down to a new build slot in order to speed up the delivery of another order which will now use the build slot you had a few weeks earlier. This is the order number that comes directly off the BMW system when the dealer specs the build slot and you'll need to ask them specifically for it, its not the order number you might have on paperwork from the dealer etc
Last edited by Locoblade on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 pm

@locoblade thanks for that I have requested the "factory order number" from our dealer, we have an horrible feeling that the build slot that they used to get our order has evaporated after the dealer secured our order.

How do we contact "BMW Genius" I can see nothing on BMW.co.uk, other than reference to BMW Genius at a local dealer

Thanks in advance.

Was looking forward to an October break in Scotland, not looking likely now.

Monkeyjm22
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Monkeyjm22 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 am

SteadyRed wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 pm
@locoblade thanks for that I have requested the "factory order number" from our dealer, we have an horrible feeling that the build slot that they used to get our order has evaporated after the dealer secured our order.

How do we contact "BMW Genius" I can see nothing on BMW.co.uk, other than reference to BMW Genius at a local dealer

Thanks in advance.

Was looking forward to an October break in Scotland, not looking likely now.
contacting BMW Genius is done via the pop up chat window on their website. Click on 'Build your BMW' (often at bottom of home screen) and the pop up chat should appear in the bottom right hand corner.

They tend to be very responsive, however it isn't compatible on a mobile device so has to be carried out on a desktop.

I hope that isn't the case regarding your Order slot!
Coming Soon: M140 MG, 5DR, 8ZF With some extras :mrgreen:

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”