M135i/140i concerns

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RowanRK6

Re: M135i/140i concerns

Post by RowanRK6 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:18 pm

I can't add much that hasn't already been said but I have driven a silly amount of different cars so I'll chip in anyway.

For clarity, I'm not a racing driver by any means but I do drive quicker than I should on twisty and undulating roads up here in Scotland.

First and foremost I'm a biker so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

My only experience of the 140i is from 3 different test drives. 1 about 6 months ago when I last thought about buying a sensible daily and another 2 from recent weeks.

I've driven the Golf R a few times and as has been said, it was too clinical so didn't have much character and just generally left me wondering what all the fuss was about. Yes it holds well, yes it's safe, yes it farts on the upshift but really, that's not what I look for in a car.

The S3 was a similar experience. People rave about them, and their fancy interiors but honestly I thought the inside looked like a chavs handbag and the "sports" seats were pish. Handling was brilliant but again, it wasn't a fun car to drive unless you were absolutely booting it everywhere which isn't ideal for a road car.

RS3 felt a bit more 'special' but in my opinion not special enough for the price. Felt quick but still wasn't making me grin from ear to ear unless I was driving well beyond sensible road limits. Again the "sports" seats were pants and didn't at all hold me in place.

What else can we compare the 140i to? I personally don't think it really has any competition to be honest. It's RWD and has a 6cyl up front. Can't think of anything else in this price bracket that provides that recipe for fun...

My alternative when shopping for the M140i was a 981 Cayman or Cayman S but they're a chunk more money and I've been there before so wanted something more practical this time around that I could take passengers in if required.

So what did I think of the 140? Well, I felt immediately at home having stepped out of my previous daily which was an F31 335d. Everything was in the right place and the driving position was spot on. The engine sounded nice enough upon startup, certainly allot better than my 335d but immediately I was thinking about exhausts to let it breathe a little better. The non adaptive suspension seemed pretty rough around town but started to make sense at sensible backroad speeds. As soon as I upped the pace it all fell apart again as it just couldn't seem to deal with the bumpy roads. Little bit unsettling but honestly awesome fun. Especially as I had the Mrs in the car rattling around in her seat. Again, for the money, I don't think the ride is bad, I just think they've tried to make it do too many things and as a result, it's overly compromised on all fronts. I only got a chance to drive an adaptive car for half an hour so can't comment much on that front but it certainly felt better around town. Can't say I noticed any difference on the backroads to be honest. Was just as unsettled.

BUT, nice engine, nice enough note, nice pull, great driving position, acceptable handling, fantastic driving position... What more can you ask for?

As has been said, reviews don't tell you what YOU will think of a particular car. They only tell you what the person driving thinks. Cars are pretty personal things so I tend to ignore all but a few reviewers.

Chris Harris is probably one of the only ones that I routinely check to see if he's driven whatever I'm looking at but I'm sure 99% of people here already watch his stuff.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Trojantrow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 am

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments. And peice of mind.. a 135i/140i is still on the agenda and I'm sure I will love it...

After all. It's going to be a massive improvement over a tired 120d e87 I currently own.

All i can say is. If people think the 140i falls apart over bumpy roads. TRY MINE!! Cos that's bad. I'm sure the composure is far superior

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RowanRK6

Post by RowanRK6 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am

Trojantrow wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments. And peice of mind.. a 135i/140i is still on the agenda and I'm sure I will love it...

After all. It's going to be a massive improvement over a tired 120d e87 I currently own.

All i can say is. If people think the 140i falls apart over bumpy roads. TRY MINE!! Cos that's bad. I'm sure the composure is far superior

You're absolutely right. Perspective is super important.

I'm probably being a bit unfair as my last fun car was a well spec'd 911 but as I said, for the price I think the 140 handles really well.

Certainly don't know of anything in the same bracket that beats it at its own game...

Happy car hunting!

GingerOtter
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GingerOtter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 am

As above a stock, passive suspension 40i is fine. There are many options to improve the suspension all of which will improve it over stock.

In the wet it’s fine as long as your sensible. I’ve not had any major issues.

I tested a Golf R (boring) RS3 and AMG45. I was set before testing on either the RS3 or AMG45. I was disappointed with both - AMG45 gear box is poor and build quality isn’t as good as it looks. RS3 was very very good, superb build and noise but the drive not engaging.

Also with some desired options both £50k+ cars and I wasn’t sold enough.

Then took out an M140i. Loved it immediately - gear box and engine are great and for me the understated go anywhere looks and everyday practically is perfect. And it’s amazing value. Yes the RS3 rides a little better but your paying for it.

It still makes me smile when everything is right and you give some beans. Never say I’ve been bored driving her and it’s been the perfect stop gap hopefully until the new M3 comes out.
66 M140i, Auto, F20, Sapphire Black, ACS Sports Suspension, Focal audio upgrade

17 LR Discovery HSE Lux

Previous
RR Evoque Dyn Lux
Z4 35is M DCT (2X)
Seat Ibiza FR

BillyO

Post by BillyO » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 pm

I’ve come out of 2 Golf R’s, a MK 6 then 7. They’re amazing cars! Planted, loads of grip, confidence inspiring, tuneable, fantastic overall and especially on the street, drive the same in wet or dry and it will put a grin on your face. My PB at my local track with the 7 was 1:10:8 with semi slicks, stg 1 tune, rear sway bar & Racingline BBK.

Now I’m in an M140i... different beast all together! More grip than expected but a change in drive style is a must in the wet... but it’s also more fun and rather than a grin.... it’ll put a big fat smile on your face... well, it will if you like to get the tail out here and there. It makes it so easy with Sports+!
It doesn’t feel sloppy compared to the R but it doesn’t feel as planted. I think it’s great... I also thought the R would be decently faster on track! Nope! With only semi slicks and a poor choice of upgraded front pads & rotors on the 140, I managed a 1:11:3 on its first outing at the track! So only half a second slower than the R. I’m sure I’ll beat the R’s time without further mods.

So no, R’s with their AWD aren’t faster around a track... we’ll unless it’s wet, then it’ll be way faster!!
Attachments
E79B6DDC-A1CA-4C30-97D4-37E5032B2DEA.jpeg
E79B6DDC-A1CA-4C30-97D4-37E5032B2DEA.jpeg (122.84 KiB) Viewed 141 times

RowanRK6

Post by RowanRK6 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 am

BillyO wrote:I’ve come out of 2 Golf R’s, a MK 6 then 7. They’re amazing cars! Planted, loads of grip, confidence inspiring, tuneable, fantastic overall and especially on the street, drive the same in wet or dry and it will put a grin on your face. My PB at my local track with the 7 was 1:10:8 with semi slicks, stg 1 tune, rear sway bar & Racingline BBK.

Now I’m in an M140i... different beast all together! More grip than expected but a change in drive style is a must in the wet... but it’s also more fun and rather than a grin.... it’ll put a big fat smile on your face... well, it will if you like to get the tail out here and there. It makes it so easy with Sports+!
It doesn’t feel sloppy compared to the R but it doesn’t feel as planted. I think it’s great... I also thought the R would be decently faster on track! Nope! With only semi slicks and a poor choice of upgraded front pads & rotors on the 140, I managed a 1:11:3 on its first outing at the track! So only half a second slower than the R. I’m sure I’ll beat the R’s time without further mods.

So no, R’s with their AWD aren’t faster around a track... we’ll unless it’s wet, then it’ll be way faster!!
That's an awesome pic!

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:59 am

RowanRK6 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 am
That's an awesome pic!
Should see the accompanying video ;)
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - F80 LCA + SuperPro TS castor bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am

BillyO wrote:I’ve come out of 2 Golf R’s, a MK 6 then 7. They’re amazing cars! Planted, loads of grip, confidence inspiring, tuneable, fantastic overall and especially on the street, drive the same in wet or dry and it will put a grin on your face. My PB at my local track with the 7 was 1:10:8 with semi slicks, stg 1 tune, rear sway bar & Racingline BBK.

Amazing how people feel an AWD is automatically faster in the wet. They suffer the same lateral grip deficit in the wet as they do in the dry. Only traction is less affected on an AWD which is a relatively small factor on a fast flowing ‘twisty’ or track. The GR will still be understeering like a pig, even worse so in the wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Trojantrow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am

There are so many people on the net saying how boring the other cars in its class are. They can't all be wrong.

And the big point is. Find any of the others for 15k...you need to pay 10k more for a decent one of the others.

You cant slate a car for the suspension not being quite as good when it's that much less money.

Just spend 15000 on the car. Then add some shocks and dampers. (Jury is still out on which ones) m4 parts and geometry setup And you have a relatively cheap weapon.

Got concern of the harshness in the b8 being spoken about after some miles..

Maybe just eibach springs are the way forward.

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Trojantrow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 am

Thank you for the good write up...i do think that's where there is some confusion though.

How far behind the GR would you have been if the track wasn't silky smooth and had some bumps in it like a bumpy b road.

There's no questioning the m140i track performance..its the general fast bumpy road driving we all do day in day out that may give the other cars a real edge... that's the part I would want and HOPE I could fix with a few tweaks.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am

They are superb to own and drive.

I have the coupe so slightly different, but in general while they can be a bit softer and slightly unsettled on bumpy roads you soon learn to get used to how they handle and you just have to trust that while sometimes a bit skittish you can rely on them to handle properly.

I personally don't get too bothered with any skittish behaviour, for 99% of the country road driving you can do in the UK they are fine and no problem keeping up with other stuff.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Trojantrow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 am

I honestly think everyone must blow it out of proportion and it's not that bad..

I think it's cos mine has done 90k miles and is an e87 with suposed nackered bushes and struts. Or at least not at their best..

The symptoms mine has are like what they say about the the Mlite. But no doubt 300% worse.lol.

Going to go and drive one I think...

RowanRK6

Post by RowanRK6 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 am

Trojantrow wrote:I honestly think everyone must blow it out of proportion and it's not that bad..

I think it's cos mine has done 90k miles and is an e87 with suposed nackered bushes and struts. Or at least not at their best..

The symptoms mine has are like what they say about the the Mlite. But no doubt 300% worse.lol.

Going to go and drive one I think...

Driving it yourself on the roads near you is the only way to know.

B roads in the Highlands of Scotland where I like to go for a play are probably very different to B roads near London or Manchester so one person's opinion can be meaningless to another who lives elsewhere.

Perspective is also super important, if you're coming out of a knacked old runabout then it's going to feel spectacular. No two ways about it!

Fingers crossed you love the car.

martin10chk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by martin10chk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 am

Exactly as written really well above. You cannot assess a car by reading reviews. Drive it. I did and (personal opinion) thought it was the best car I had ever driven (had tried Golf R, have a Golf Gti and have owned a number of BMWs). So I bought one.

oily76

Post by oily76 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Trojantrow wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm
I was hoping for a response like that. They make out as if the brakes are not good enough and the others are miles better.

That just can't be true...and the main thing (the engine) gets brushed over as if it's meaningless.

They make mountains out of mole hills.

If you can keep up with 9/10 in dry then it can't be that bad. I know wet is different but we all know what they are like in wet...but they made out it's diabolical...it can't be surely.

Brakes are extremely powerful (doubt any of its competitors have shorter stopping distances) but are a bit spongy. Feels weird at first having stepped out of something else but only takes a few drives to forget.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”