M140i xDrive or RWD

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RestUnknown
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am

M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by RestUnknown » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi all

I'm planning on buying an M140i but am not sure about which model.

I'm currently testdriving an M140i xDrive and although I average an astonishing 9l/100km (31.4 mpg), which is flooring the pedal at places where I can, but also long stretches of highway to go to work.

But I don't know if I need the xDrive version. Flooring the pedal from standstill gives no wheel slip whatsoever, which will of course happen with the RWD version. But is it really that bad? Also when travelling at lets say 10km/h and then flooring it, will it still occur?
Another argument is that it doesn't really snow that often where I live, so for environment reasons I definitely don't need it.

Also another question is the difference in fuel economy between them both. On the site it says a difference in about 0,5l/100km, is this true?

I do 100km (60 miles) on work days, so fuel economy is something that does matter to me. But since I also do that amount of distance, it needs to be fun.

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by NISFAN » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:15 pm

That’s a can of worms debate. Many are attracted to the effortless 0-60 of the xDrive in any weather, whilst others want a pure rear wheel drive drivers car. Only you can decide which you prefer.

The xDrive will cost more at the pumps, whilst you don’t buy a car like this any worry about fuel economy, the shortened range on what is already short would annoy the crap out of me.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

martin10chk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by martin10chk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Ha - Get ready for heated debate / argument. Its all just a matter of opinion / preference. Mine - I prefer the feel of RWD and am very happy with the traction that offers with the correct tyres (winter tyres in winter!).

ALEX
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by ALEX » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Pros for RWD
The RWD is more wild, and alive, and the xDrive is more "safe", and some would say boring.
The RWD is faster except for 0-100km/h, most noticeable in the 50-200km/h, due to drivetrain loss on the xDrive.
The RWD is lighter, and also better fuel economy.

Pros for xDrive
Faster from a stand still.
You will have fun all year around, dont have to worry in the rain or snow etc.
Safer?

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by jimBabyBMW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:10 pm

The fuel tank is the size of a thimble, so any lots in economy will just exacerbate the issue. Always seem to be filling it up. Not exactly an issue for me, I dont do many miles, but the range is appalling.

User avatar
Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by Mad_Mac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm

To me it would be simple. If I would live in the country with many snowy days I would go with x drive as even my wife’s corsa is quicker in the snow than my Bmw ;)
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

RestUnknown
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by RestUnknown » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 pm

You guys don't make it easy. Gonna think it through :-).

Btw something else I notice. This car has the stock exhaust, but you really have to listen very carefully to hear the 'pops' and it's kind of disappointing that it's so quiet when you're driving it. Should I opt for the MPE?

Tib1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm
Location: Finland

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by Tib1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 pm

If I lived on southern europe I’d take rwd. But on northern europe there is often wet, snowy, icy oconditions, I’d take xdrive. Actually rear biased xdrive in powerful car doesn’t kill the joy of driving - it acts more like rwd than fwd but you always get power down to road which makes it very enjoyable to drive on surfaces with less traction. And easy to accelerate hard from standstill. Fuel economy in xdrive/rwd does not differ very much in real world.
F21 LCI M135i xDrive

ALEX
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by ALEX » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 am

RestUnknown wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 pm
You guys don't make it easy. Gonna think it through :-).

Btw something else I notice. This car has the stock exhaust, but you really have to listen very carefully to hear the 'pops' and it's kind of disappointing that it's so quiet when you're driving it. Should I opt for the MPE?
I like the MPE, but you could try to stay stock and put a decat downpipe on (far less money than MPE), and gain both in performance and sound, together with a JB4 CEL-delete or ECU-tune ;)

Or just MPE and front silencer delete on the midpipe, sounds amazing. No CEL, or big performance gains but sounds amazing.

Willel
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by Willel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 am

You can always put in stronger sway bars and an lsd on your xdrive to make it more rear biased and "fun", even closer to best of both worlds! Difference over RWD in price becomes a thing of course...
AW 3dr m140i xdrive, from Belgium

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:50 am

Beyond a certain power/torque you’ll need AWD to get the power down, though what I have read it will more a limitation of the damping/suspension which will limit your answer to the eternal question “can you put your power down?” I thought x drive had an lsd on the rear axle for torque vectoring?
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by NISFAN » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Tib1 wrote:If I lived on southern europe I’d take rwd. But on northern europe there is often wet, snowy, icy oconditions, I’d take xdrive. Actually rear biased xdrive in powerful car doesn’t kill the joy of driving - it acts more like rwd than fwd but you always get power down to road which makes it very enjoyable to drive on surfaces with less traction. And easy to accelerate hard from standstill. Fuel economy in xdrive/rwd does not differ very much in real world.
I’ve driven xDrive cars, even with traction fully off they are boring to drive. Yes you can get the back end to slide out, but you have to really provoke it to do that. With traction on, the car is as exciting as watching paint dry, you wouldn’t know it was rear wheel biased. There is no slip at all, and it makes a powerful car feel like a 60hp Ford Ka.

Your fuel economy statement is totally wrong. Expect to use 7-10% more fuel on an xDrive. It weighs 75kg more than sDrive and has additional drivetrain losses. Neither of those things are good for fuel economy.

With xDrive you also need to be careful about tyres. They need to be matched otherwise you can have transfer case issues. These issues are well documented by xDrive users in all models.

xDrive has its uses, but it is no free lunch and definitely has compromises attached.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

User avatar
johnboyblue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by johnboyblue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Simple choice if you can afford the x drive get it if you can't get the rwd
220d Active Tourer Luxury Xdrive and loads of goodies.
M135i Estoril Blue, 5 Door, Auto,(wish it had xdrive)
BMW 328i F30 Luxury Mineral Grey, Manual.

Tib1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm
Location: Finland

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by Tib1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm
Tib1 wrote:If I lived on southern europe I’d take rwd. But on northern europe there is often wet, snowy, icy oconditions, I’d take xdrive. Actually rear biased xdrive in powerful car doesn’t kill the joy of driving - it acts more like rwd than fwd but you always get power down to road which makes it very enjoyable to drive on surfaces with less traction. And easy to accelerate hard from standstill. Fuel economy in xdrive/rwd does not differ very much in real world.
I’ve driven xDrive cars, even with traction fully off they are boring to drive. Yes you can get the back end to slide out, but you have to really provoke it to do that. With traction on, the car is as exciting as watching paint dry, you wouldn’t know it was rear wheel biased. There is no slip at all, and it makes a powerful car feel like a 60hp Ford Ka.

Your fuel economy statement is totally wrong. Expect to use 7-10% more fuel on an xDrive. It weighs 75kg more than sDrive and has additional drivetrain losses. Neither of those things are good for fuel economy.

With xDrive you also need to be careful about tyres. They need to be matched otherwise you can have transfer case issues. These issues are well documented by xDrive users in all models.

xDrive has its uses, but it is no free lunch and definitely has compromises attached.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You haven’t driven both rwd and xdrive mlite I guess? Sdrive isn’t that special in terms of handling/driveability. In normal driving consumption difference is not more than 5% if even that (who even cares when buying 3 litre petrol engine?).
In weather conditions when there is snow/ice on roads 4-5 months/year, you really prefer 4wd.
Last edited by Tib1 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F21 LCI M135i xDrive

User avatar
Creepy Coupe
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3319
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 am

Re: M140i xDrive or RWD

Post by Creepy Coupe » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Drive them both a couple of times and go with the one you feel best driving.
M240i
Previous.M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E93 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”