M140 Value

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by stag74 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 pm

moulin12 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm
stag74 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 pm
Class2ldn wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:23 pm
My 2017 March build was valued at 21k trade in about 6 months back just to provide a comparison
I bought my 2017 March build 6 months ago for £23.5K from BMW with only 3.5K miles.
So expecting £22 to 23K selling private, older car, mileage, i'd say no chance! Sorry.
That seems like a good deal, though you have't said anything about spec.

Whilst options might not get you that much in terms of trade in, they do count in private sales. So, for example, I would be much more attracted to a highly spec'd 66 plate on 15K as opposed to a 17 plate poverty spec very low mileage one.

If WBAC is coming back as 18-20 on a 3 door 66 plate, then a highly spec'd 66 plate 5 door could get 22K on a private sale.
Yes I admit mine is poverty spec regarding options, but the basic spec is hardly poverty spec either!
I look at it this way:
Pro nav. I drive my car not to sit in it watching a dvd.
Harmon whatever. I listen to Radio 5 Live most of the time.
Adaptive. Questionable either too soft or too hard.
Electric seats. Only me drives it.
Folding mirrors. It's not a massive wide 4x4
Parking sensors. It's a 1 series not a limo.
Etc.
The only option I wish mine had would be heated seats.
I'm old enough when electric windows, central locking, leather, air conditioning, sat nav, and LED/HID lights were not even options or very expensive ones, and they are all standard on the M140i.
So for me, a lot of the options now are unnecessary fluff that are not missed.
:)
M140i 3 Door Manual

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by moulin12 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:54 pm

stag74 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 pm
moulin12 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm
stag74 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 pm

I bought my 2017 March build 6 months ago for £23.5K from BMW with only 3.5K miles.
So expecting £22 to 23K selling private, older car, mileage, i'd say no chance! Sorry.
That seems like a good deal, though you have't said anything about spec.

Whilst options might not get you that much in terms of trade in, they do count in private sales. So, for example, I would be much more attracted to a highly spec'd 66 plate on 15K as opposed to a 17 plate poverty spec very low mileage one.

If WBAC is coming back as 18-20 on a 3 door 66 plate, then a highly spec'd 66 plate 5 door could get 22K on a private sale.
Yes I admit mine is poverty spec regarding options, but the basic spec is hardly poverty spec either!
I look at it this way:
Pro nav. I drive my car not to sit in it watching a dvd.
Harmon whatever. I listen to Radio 5 Live most of the time.
Adaptive. Questionable either too soft or too hard.
Electric seats. Only me drives it.
Folding mirrors. It's not a massive wide 4x4
Parking sensors. It's a 1 series not a limo.
Etc.
The only option I wish mine had would be heated seats.
I'm old enough when electric windows, central locking, leather, air conditioning, sat nav, and LED/HID lights were not even options or very expensive ones, and they are all standard on the M140i.
So for me, a lot of the options now are unnecessary fluff that are not missed.
:)
Which is fine: and there's many enough out there that would only want a basic spec. Others, on the other hand, very much enjoy their fluffery, and will pay for it. A basic spec car is around 28.5K new, whereas the OP's car would be around 33K. A two grand uplift for private sale is achievable, and the mileage not high enough to worry about.
F22 M240i 8AT

martin10chk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by martin10chk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Kerr wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 pm
It's unfair what BMW, The dealers and the finance company do regarding options.

BMW leave the options people want off the standard spec leaving the buyer to pay thousands.

The finance company tell you they are worth next to nothing at the end and barely touch the GFMV.

The dealer tells you upon trade in your options are worthless.

On dealers forecourt the car with all the nice options is a few grand more expensive than the ones without.

It's a bit of a stitch up.
I agree. Options are a way of dealers / manufacturers trying to leverage some more money out of car buyers. Manufacturers dangle toys in front of purchasers to tempt them to spend more, and then dealers dis those same toys for the seller and big them up to the buyer. We're just suckers!

mikeyw85
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by mikeyw85 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Just reviving this topic because it's something I've been looking at today...

I noticed the M140i/M135i don't seem to have returned residuals as good as a Golf R or S3, two cars that i'd catagorise as similar alternatives. To the point where it looks like after 2 years, an R or S3 may break even on a typical PCP deal, where as an M-lite would be about £3k down.

Can anyone explain this? I know cars don't all have to depreciate at the same rate, but i'd have actually guessed that some of the main features of an M-lite would mean it was becoming an increasingly rare thing that may help it hold on to value. But it seems the opposite is true.

Flash6289
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by Flash6289 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 pm

mikeyw85 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm
Just reviving this topic because it's something I've been looking at today...

I noticed the M140i/M135i don't seem to have returned residuals as good as a Golf R or S3, two cars that i'd catagorise as similar alternatives. To the point where it looks like after 2 years, an R or S3 may break even on a typical PCP deal, where as an M-lite would be about £3k down.

Can anyone explain this? I know cars don't all have to depreciate at the same rate, but i'd have actually guessed that some of the main features of an M-lite would mean it was becoming an increasingly rare thing that may help it hold on to value. But it seems the opposite is true.
The sheer number of M-lites on cheap PCP deals.
Current: M135i LCI, 3 door, Valencia Orange, Black leather, Manual
Previous: 116i SE

mikeyw85
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by mikeyw85 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:10 am

Flash6289 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 pm
mikeyw85 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm
Just reviving this topic because it's something I've been looking at today...

I noticed the M140i/M135i don't seem to have returned residuals as good as a Golf R or S3, two cars that i'd catagorise as similar alternatives. To the point where it looks like after 2 years, an R or S3 may break even on a typical PCP deal, where as an M-lite would be about £3k down.

Can anyone explain this? I know cars don't all have to depreciate at the same rate, but i'd have actually guessed that some of the main features of an M-lite would mean it was becoming an increasingly rare thing that may help it hold on to value. But it seems the opposite is true.
The sheer number of M-lites on cheap PCP deals.
That could explain it, but there are a heck of a lot of Golf R's.

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: M140 Value

Post by markm240i » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 am

mikeyw85 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm
Just reviving this topic because it's something I've been looking at today...

I noticed the M140i/M135i don't seem to have returned residuals as good as a Golf R or S3, two cars that i'd catagorise as similar alternatives. To the point where it looks like after 2 years, an R or S3 may break even on a typical PCP deal, where as an M-lite would be about £3k down.

Can anyone explain this? I know cars don't all have to depreciate at the same rate, but i'd have actually guessed that some of the main features of an M-lite would mean it was becoming an increasingly rare thing that may help it hold on to value. But it seems the opposite is true.
Big dealer and BMW contributions and rubbish residuals. Latest 2018 Q4 PCP deal as of today...
Attachments
Q4.PNG
Q4.PNG (10 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Current - M140i Auto, LSD, MPE

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by stag74 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:31 am

List OTR prices are just so untrue when they can then discount them so heavily, consistently.
It penilises the taxation, for road tax and those having them as company cars, with the artificially high P11d values.
I'm surprised nothing is done about it, however it benefits the tax man, so I can see why nothing is done about it.
M140i 3 Door Manual

Maybebmw
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 am

Re: M140 Value

Post by Maybebmw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 am

The fact you can buy a BRAND NEW M140 for under 30k (after discounts / contributions) is a well kept secret. Many buyers in the market for a hot hatch will look at a list price of 40k and discount it right away, it's only when you look into it you realise what a steal it is.

Big discounts will have an impact on used prices however along with so many getting handed back on PCP schemes.

Either way, buying new or used there is no doubt it's a seriously proper car at almost bargain prices!
Alpine White M140 Shadow edition (with a few goodies :lol: )

User avatar
kalv
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by kalv » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 am

5-door M140i is a perfect car for a family.. i got 3 kids and they all fit fine.. even my German Shepherd comes along!

When it comes to the M-Lite/Golf R/S3 residuals.. most drivers of the Golf/Audi can only drive in a straight line - people these days like the safer option of 4WD and having a poxy tin-pot 2.0L because there always worried about MPG/Tax.

M-lite drivers just get in and drive - the smile factors offsets the residuals.

m88jey
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

Re: M140 Value

Post by m88jey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Have decided to keep the car.

I must admit it is a practical car especially being 5 door with the through load option but can see it getting less practical as little man grows (and if we have any more kids). It is getting a bit tight with the pram. We have the isofix behind the passenger seat and this reduces legroom in the front quite considerably.

Have come from a very low spec 2013 f30 330d which didn't even have folding rear seats so I spec'd this car knowing all the toys I missed out on previously. As my wife also uses the car, elec seats & parking sensors were a no brainer. I don't use pro nav to full potential but bigger screen is nice.

I want to start scratching the "big car / SUV" itch but it can wait.

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by moulin12 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 pm

markm240i wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 am
mikeyw85 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm
Just reviving this topic because it's something I've been looking at today...

I noticed the M140i/M135i don't seem to have returned residuals as good as a Golf R or S3, two cars that i'd catagorise as similar alternatives. To the point where it looks like after 2 years, an R or S3 may break even on a typical PCP deal, where as an M-lite would be about £3k down.

Can anyone explain this? I know cars don't all have to depreciate at the same rate, but i'd have actually guessed that some of the main features of an M-lite would mean it was becoming an increasingly rare thing that may help it hold on to value. But it seems the opposite is true.
Big dealer and BMW contributions and rubbish residuals. Latest 2018 Q4 PCP deal as of today...
Hence (to make the point), residuals need to be related to discount price.

They're certainly starting to ramp up the end of model prices. Should be some serious pre-reg steals around next year.
F22 M240i 8AT

User avatar
kalv
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: M140 Value

Post by kalv » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 am

m88jey wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm
Have decided to keep the car.

I must admit it is a practical car especially being 5 door with the through load option but can see it getting less practical as little man grows (and if we have any more kids). It is getting a bit tight with the pram. We have the isofix behind the passenger seat and this reduces legroom in the front quite considerably.

Have come from a very low spec 2013 f30 330d which didn't even have folding rear seats so I spec'd this car knowing all the toys I missed out on previously. As my wife also uses the car, elec seats & parking sensors were a no brainer. I don't use pro nav to full potential but bigger screen is nice.

I want to start scratching the "big car / SUV" itch but it can wait.
I got a lanky 13yr old, chunky 10yr old and a nutter 2yr old in the world largest isofix seat - we all fit fine. Yes the stroller takes up the boot, but I got a roof box if we need more space when we take my GSD along. I been downsizing - comfy 330d GT (awesome), then a Mini Countryman (terrible) and now the M140i.

Just saying... car's fine.

m88jey
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

Re: M140 Value

Post by m88jey » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 am

kalv wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:29 am

I got a lanky 13yr old, chunky 10yr old and a nutter 2yr old in the world largest isofix seat - we all fit fine. Yes the stroller takes up the boot, but I got a roof box if we need more space when we take my GSD along. I been downsizing - comfy 330d GT (awesome), then a Mini Countryman (terrible) and now the M140i.

Just saying... car's fine.
And that’s testament to how good this car actually is and why it ticks the box for a lot of people. Great all rounder.

Neilf
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am

Re: M140 Value

Post by Neilf » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 am

Got offered 23 trade in about 2 mths ago m140i .17 plate

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”