Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
fraser6505
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by fraser6505 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm

So after having the occasional exhaust rattle, the rattle became permanent and I immediately booked the car in with BMW. After reading numerous posts I went there armed with evidence of the issue and was not going to accept that it is a 'characteristic' of the car. After dropping the car off I received a call a few hours later informing me that the 'fixing bow' had snapped and needed to be replaced and they could replace it in the afternoon.

Today I picked up the car from the dealers and the only work carried out was to replace one fixing bow... however they then informed me that they applied a software update which had to be done in this case.

Driving the car home tonight I have noticed that the rattle has gone completely but the exhaust is noticeably quieter and there are less burbles/pops/bangs. I also feel that the throttle response has changed and the steering feels heavier.

Is this all in my head or can anyone shed some light on this?
2017 M140i

User avatar
ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by ninja_geezer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm

fraser6505 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm
So after having the occasional exhaust rattle, the rattle became permanent and I immediately booked the car in with BMW. After reading numerous posts I went there armed with evidence of the issue and was not going to accept that it is a 'characteristic' of the car. After dropping the car off I received a call a few hours later informing me that the 'fixing bow' had snapped and needed to be replaced and they could replace it in the afternoon.

Today I picked up the car from the dealers and the only work carried out was to replace one fixing bow... however they then informed me that they applied a software update which had to be done in this case.

Driving the car home tonight I have noticed that the rattle has gone completely but the exhaust is noticeably quieter and there are less burbles/pops/bangs. I also feel that the throttle response has changed and the steering feels heavier.

Is this all in my head or can anyone shed some light on this?
is it a manual by any chance?
see this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxB1NOCpR24
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

Mattb0102
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by Mattb0102 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 pm

I had mine in on Monday 17th to have the rattling exhaust looked at. They did confirm there was a rattle so applied a software update. I'm told that this cures most of the exhaust rattle problems and it hasn't done it since but then I'm sceptical. However I've decided to bite the bullet and spend out on an MPE being fitted this coming Monday at another dealership so I'm now guaranteed the exhaust rattle will be gone...just at my expense.

As for the software update affecting the characteristics of the car I can't say I've noticed any difference. Everything feels the same and the pops and bangs are still there. Mine is an auto.

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm
Location: South West Wales

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by Goon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am

ninja_geezer wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm
fraser6505 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm
So after having the occasional exhaust rattle, the rattle became permanent and I immediately booked the car in with BMW. After reading numerous posts I went there armed with evidence of the issue and was not going to accept that it is a 'characteristic' of the car. After dropping the car off I received a call a few hours later informing me that the 'fixing bow' had snapped and needed to be replaced and they could replace it in the afternoon.

Today I picked up the car from the dealers and the only work carried out was to replace one fixing bow... however they then informed me that they applied a software update which had to be done in this case.

Driving the car home tonight I have noticed that the rattle has gone completely but the exhaust is noticeably quieter and there are less burbles/pops/bangs. I also feel that the throttle response has changed and the steering feels heavier.

Is this all in my head or can anyone shed some light on this?
is it a manual by any chance?
see this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxB1NOCpR24
So they have deleted the auto blipping function, why would they do that, I thought it was a good feature. If they did it to my car I would certainly complain and insist they restored it.

User avatar
ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by ninja_geezer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:42 am

So they have deleted the auto blipping function, why would they do that, I thought it was a good feature. If they did it to my car I would certainly complain and insist they restored it.
[/quote]

not sure have you had a look at the link on youtube to see if the guy has put any updates recently?
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

fraser6505
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by fraser6505 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 am

Mine is an Auto. Pops and bangs are there but noticeably less than before. I would have pushed for the MPE if they didn't offer a fix. Surprisingly the service advisor claimed I was the first person to have this problem.
2017 M140i

User avatar
ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Exhaust rattle fixed! But what's this software update?

Post by ninja_geezer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:27 pm

fraser6505 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 am
Mine is an Auto. Pops and bangs are there but noticeably less than before. I would have pushed for the MPE if they didn't offer a fix. Surprisingly the service advisor claimed I was the first person to have this problem.
sounds very strange have you spoke to them ?
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”