Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: New car advice

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:42 pm

Kerr wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Personally I wouldn't be assisting my 21 year old to get into such debt.

Even if he can afford the monthly payments it's much wiser to promote to him to get some money behind him and not start his life in debt.

Buying cars like this when young will just push the affordability of a house further and further away.
I hear what you're saying but as a petrol head he won't listen and his love of performance cars will not go away. As an Air Con engineer he has the ability to earn rather good money in London and he has no immediate thoughts of buying his own place. Also it's not as if I need to free up any space being in a 5 bed, 3 storey detached house with a double garage.

Williams327 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am
Has he had any rwd experience before? Car just needs to be appreciated more then high powered front or four wheel drive cars.

I owned a golf r at 25 and you can drive the thing like an absolute bellend and it just laps it up. Do the same in my M140i and it would be in a hedge :lol:

Just something for him to consider
He has said that RWD is an unknown to him as he's only ever had FWD, however, one has to learn at some point to drive RWD and as we all know RWD hot hatches are a rare beast. He is seriously considering a Golf R being 4WD. We'll see how he gets on with the M140i on Saturday.

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 pm
Kerr wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am
Personally I wouldn't be assisting my 21 year old to get into such debt.
I was going to say it's not just the monthly payments, it's the insurance and associated running costs too.

An M140i drinks petrol compared to a Fiesta ST. I'm about 10mpg down on the amount I got from my ST and insurance will be a stinger.

Each to their own though. I had a string of cheap bangers until I got myself sorted, but I'm an old(ish) fart and times have changed and the millennials want everything now regardless. Part of me envy's that if I'm honest though, I would have loved a top performing car at the time but it was so far out of reach and to be honest I probably would have ended up wrapped round a tree anyway.
He has 4 years NCB, therefore he has never claimed on his insurance from passing his test, however, he does have to check out the insurance premiums on these cars.

He's driven his ST hard from new and to be honest with the work he's had done to the ST and the lack of economy he currently gets, the economy or lack of with a M140i won't bother him.

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts and I know he has a lot to think about.

As I said earlier he has grown up around performance cars since he was born as I've had a few: E30 M3's (Evo II and a Sport Evolution), E36 M3, E46 M3, E90 M3, F87 M2, Lancia Delta Integrales, Caterham Super Light R, Impreza P1, Golf GTI's, Audi S3 and a few 1,000 cc sports bikes. So I reckon petrol is in his blood ;)
Last edited by Andy OH on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M2 LBB DCT

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Yegap wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Given the lad can afford to insure an ST with power mods I wouldn't question the ability to afford the insurance etc of a stock M140i.

I would question the fact his dad has to make a forum post for him though...

Good point, however, he doesn't do forums as he is not a keyboard warrior and does not sit at a desk all day long like me as he is either on a site or in a different place throughout the day with his job. He is doing his own research, however, he likes to ask me questions as I've had so many performance cars. I actually like him asking questions as I was not afforded that luxury when I was young.
M2 LBB DCT

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Andy OH wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:42 pm
He's driven his ST hard from new and to be honest with the work he's had done to the ST and the lack of economy he currently gets, the economy or lack of with a M140i won't bother him.
My ST was stage 2 modded. Maybe not quite the level he currently has but not far off by the sounds of it (was probably around 240bhp), and I still got an easy 40 mpg, whereas the M140i I get barely more than 30 mpg for exactly the same driving.

No worries though, it's just a consideration I wanted to point out. If that's not an issue (it isn't for me) then all gravy :)

deanw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by deanw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:44 pm

can you not throw the new Honda Type R in the mix... if was doing it again, it would be between that and a i30N think.

That being said, I do agree wit the peeps above that young people shouldn't be committing to expensive cars i.e a depreciating asset before buying a house. I only say this from experience, as money always burns a hole in my pocket and my biggest regret is not putting Money away when I was younger.. I've got the m140i and I love it but it weirdly just dawned on me how much money I'm losing on it lol.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

You're a braver man than me. My 11 yo son is a petrolhead but there's no way he will be going anywhere past 200bhp until he's 25, I just couldn't take the guilt if something happened to him due to too much power for a car that I had OK'd. :(

These things are quick even for us older dudes with plenty of experience.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:10 pm

BMcG, I think he has a very heavy right foot ;). The one saving grace is, he has the van for work so only uses his own car for pleasure.

Dean, he has considered the new Honda Type R and we're seeing one on Saturday.
M2 LBB DCT

jonaldo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jonaldo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:19 pm

This is a car forum right? Are people really questioning a fellow members parenting skills? Come on folks! :?
Current - 2018 (Sept build) M140i Shadow. Auto. Melbourne Red, heated black with blue stitching, adaptive suspension, pipercross + wing mirrors, rear diffuser and canards wrapped with black gloss.

Gone - 2015 M135i Estoril Blue + MPE exhaust

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:25 pm

jonaldo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:19 pm
This is a car forum right? Are people really questioning a fellow members parenting skills? Come on folks! :?
Think you're reading a bit too much into it there. It's car advice for his son and part of that could encompass what people feel is an appropriate car for a certain age group. It's just an opinion and I can't see any offence taken or given.

The responses have been good natured and well countered. No need to take exception on someone elses behalf when they themselves haven't had any issue. Lets get back to car advice :)

jonaldo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jonaldo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28 pm

My point exactly re car advice. People were questioning whether he should let his son buy this car before buying a house! Just found that a bit strange that's all, not taken exception to it.
Current - 2018 (Sept build) M140i Shadow. Auto. Melbourne Red, heated black with blue stitching, adaptive suspension, pipercross + wing mirrors, rear diffuser and canards wrapped with black gloss.

Gone - 2015 M135i Estoril Blue + MPE exhaust

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Chaps, no offence taken and some great advice and responses from all who've replied. I know for a fact if my son couldn't handle a powerful car I'd be very much discouraging him from buying one.
M2 LBB DCT

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I've driven the R, S3 and Hyundai out of that list.

Golf R and S3 are just absolutely fantastic cars but not the sort of car I would itch to get in and drive. Great all year round sure, But not necessarily exciting and the noise doesn't help. The BMW just feels like you need to drive it a bit more, Demands concentration and rewards you with a great sound.

i30n: I had a Focus ST at the time and wasn't particularly impressed by the Hyundai, Didn't feel like too much of an upgrade. It does sound good but I have real question marks over the potential depreciation and long term reliability and i'm not sold on its looks and it feels a bit cheap inside.

I have a 2016 M135i rather than an M140i but I was drawn to how civilized, comfy it could be whilst having a really strong performance. In my opinion it feels a little more grown up than the other cars you have mentioned.. Could be a plus or a minus to your son however..

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:00 pm

It does seem really strange to me that people in their low twenties in age even consider getting performance/ expensive cars until they are much more set up in life.

I had a very very boring car history until I bought my first flat and only then bought a 14 plate m135i second hand.

Whatever he does please don't consider a type r. i don't care how good they are, it can't compensate for how bad they look.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon, Electric Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 pm

iladtani wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pm
Golf R and S3 are just absolutely fantastic cars but not the sort of car I would itch to get in and drive.
My brother has a Golf R, and although I only experienced it as a passenger, I found it a bit sterile if that makes sense.

Great car I dare say, but just felt weirdly 'sensible' to me when inside.

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 pm
iladtani wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 pm
Golf R and S3 are just absolutely fantastic cars but not the sort of car I would itch to get in and drive.
My brother has a Golf R, and although I only experienced it as a passenger, I found it a bit sterile if that makes sense.

Great car I dare say, but just felt weirdly 'sensible' to me when inside.
The Golf R is a very capable car and I once test drove one back to back with a RS3 and to be honest the Golf R was in my opinion the better of the two cars, however, it was a bit dull, but it can cover ground remarkably quickly as did the RS3 but the Golf just pipped it for me.

Looks like it’s going to be an interesting few weeks ahead test driving some interesting cars.
M2 LBB DCT

Andy OH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andy OH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Peter9588 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:00 pm
It does seem really strange to me that people in their low twenties in age even consider getting performance/ expensive cars until they are much more set up in life.

I had a very very boring car history until I bought my first flat and only then bought a 14 plate m135i second hand.

Whatever he does please don't consider a type r. i don't care how good they are, it can't compensate for how bad they look.
I suppose it all depends on your circumstances. He is in no rush to move out and he and his brother have free reign of the top floor of the house.

I say enjoy yourself while you can, there’s plenty of time for mortgages and after that you’re a long time dead.
M2 LBB DCT

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”