All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Maybebmw
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Dervtech solved PPF tuning issue

Post by Maybebmw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Just read this on their FB page :

Full PPF / GPF / OPF delete on BMW M140i, with decat and MPerformance exhaust and our custom stage 2 (450+hp) tune!!

After a long couple of days, we've done it... As most now know, the new M140i/M240i (from July/August 2018 on) now come fitted with a particle filter, this not only mutes the sound from the exhaust, but also means that fitting a decat is impossible.. until now.. "COMPLETED IT MATE!" :-)

We've developed a full "PPF off" software calibration for these, meaning the filter itself can be removed, and a decat can be fitted. From there; we can do our usual tuning here on the dyno at DervTech Tuning - which can also include our full ZF8 speed custom gearbox software.

We also offer:

- Stage 1 (stock hardware) 440hp, no modifications required
- Stage 2 (decat, supplied by us, fitted here), 450+hp
- Stage 2+ (decat, full exhaust, intake), 460+hp
- ZF8 speed gearbox mapping
- Physical and software removal of Petrol Particle Filter (OPF)
- Rescaled performance gauges, showing the new, modified power!
- MIL off for decat
- Switchable power modes on the sport (460hp), comfort (420hp) and eco (380hp) settings
- Cold start delete (with decat)
- Pops and bangs on over run
- Stage 3 big turbo kit... coming soon!
Alpine White M140 Shadow edition (with a few goodies :lol: )

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Dervtech solved PPF tuning issue

Post by ZChris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Interesting, but is it legal?
You can't legally remove a DFP so are you allowed to remove a PPF?

Ja50nK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ja50nK » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

ZChris wrote:Interesting, but is it legal?
Nope. Just like you shouldn't remove a Cat - people still do it though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sunset Orange LCI2 M140i, Auto, 5 Door, MPE

martin10chk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by martin10chk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Ja50nK wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

So thread could be titled "Dervtech create air pollution and particulate issue" ! Not sure this is progress but there you go.

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Each to their own but I just cannot fathom why you would decat a car making it road illegal, then having to p*ss about to get it through an MOT and most of all risking being handed a big fat FOOK OFF tablet from the insurance company if you end up binning it in to a ditch. And for what? 20 bhp? And a bit of extra noise?...Especially if these cars are producing 440 bhp from a remap alone. 440 BHP!!!! I mean FFS how much power do you really need in a relatively small car? They aren't exactly underpowered or slow in the first place.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

martin10chk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by martin10chk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm

racey1979 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm
Each to their own but I just cannot fathom why you would decat a car making it road illegal, then having to p*ss about to get it through an MOT and most of all risking being handed a big fat FOOK OFF tablet from the insurance company if you end up binning it in to a ditch. And for what? 20 bhp? And a bit of extra noise?...Especially if these cars are producing 440 bhp from a remap alone. 440 BHP!!!! I mean FFS how much power do you really need in a relatively small car? They aren't exactly underpowered or slow in the first place.
+1

daztoc

Post by daztoc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Not something that i would be looking to do to a brand new, fully factory warranted vehicle.

Ry_B
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ry_B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 pm

martin10chk wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm
Ja50nK wrote:

So thread could be titled "Dervtech create air pollution and particulate issue" ! Not sure this is progress but there you go.
It’s not like there’s thousands of mX40’s out there with b48 engines and no PPF’s....
M235i in alpine white - Auto, pro nav, heated steering wheel, electric heated seats, folding mirrors, reverse cam, adaptive suspension, Harmon Kardon, sun protection glass, adaptive xenons :D

Snowman89
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Snowman89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm

racey1979 wrote:
Well that applies to EVERYTHING thats not fitted to the car when it leaves the factory.
The cars nowdays are approved as a complete unit, as it leaves the factory.
As the law states you are not allowed to swap to after market wheels, wider/smaller tires or retrofit ANYTHING that has not been approved by BMW.

So if you think a downpipe would give you a big fat "FOOK OFF" from the insurance company, so would that front lip people like to fit, or even those nice 19" aftermarket wheels or perhaps fitting aftermarket pads.

Just look at your upgraded suspension. Has that been approved by BMW and the appropriate authorities?
Why did you upgrade the suspension?
Its not like a M240 is a race car and its not like the stock suspension is poor.
The logic you are trying to use doesnt really work, since it is easily applied on any case, including your own car.
Which would make any upgrade or replacement, in any case, completly useless, no matter if it would be for performance or simply cosmetic.
Last edited by Snowman89 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Gobsmacked that a company is publicly advertising removal of the CAT or the PPF, they are blatantly breaking the law....as well as the owner......see the below laws.

And these selfish owners are only going to ruin motoring for the rest of us. We all know governments react with a knee jerk. It won’t be long before any modification will be made illegal.

The law
Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 pm
Gobsmacked that a company is publicly advertising removal of the CAT or the PPF, they are blatantly breaking the law....as well as the owner......see the below laws.

And these selfish owners are only going to ruin motoring for the rest of us. We all know governments react with a knee jerk. It won’t be long before any modification will be made illegal.

I agree 100%, but no doubt there is something in the small print about being for track use only, etc, etc...

It always staggers me to see people casually posting about de-cats as if there is nothing wrong with it. Apart form the legality of it, it's selfish and anti-social. I wonder if they tell their neighbours and community they've decided to poison their children even more than necessary.
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Snowman89 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm
racey1979 wrote:
Well that applies to EVERYTHING thats not fitted to the car when it leaves the factory.
The cars nowdays are approved as a complete unit, as it leaves the factory.
As the law states you are not allowed to swap to after market wheels, wider/smaller tires or retrofit ANYTHING that has not been approved by BMW.

So if you think a downpipe would give you a big fat "FOOK OFF" from the insurance company, so would that front lip people like to fit, or even those nice 19" aftermarket wheels or perhaps fitting aftermarket pads.

Just look at your upgraded suspension. Has that been approved by BMW and the appropriate authorities?
Why did you upgrade the suspension?
Its not like a M240 is a race car and its not like the stock suspension is poor.
The logic you are trying to use doesnt really work, since it is easily applied on any case, including your own car.
Which would make any upgrade or replacement, in any case, completly useless, no matter if it would be for performance or simply cosmetic.
What on Earth are you going on about ? You are seriously comparing a perfectly legal front spoiler and minor cosmetic modifications to a completely illegal decat/ppf removal? Seriously????? :? Every single modification I have made is listed on my insurance documents and they are all completely legal. The only one that isn't BMW approved is the Birds suspension installed by Birds auto who are very well known BMW chassis tuner and have been around for donkeys years....I had it fitted because the stock suspension IS pretty poor actually and just which "appropriate authorities" are you talking about here? Its a LEGAL modification, end of. "As the law states you are not allowed to swap to after market wheels" ??? Eh??? :? Since when? Exactly? Decats, removal of DPF's, PPF's are all illegal, it doesn't matter how the F you dress it up...if people want to do it its no skin off my nose...I just don't see the point. If you honestly believe that if you wrap it around a tree and it gets towed away by the insurance company for assessment...then upon discovery of a road illegal decat pipe that everything will still be all rosy and a nice big cheque will be on it's way...then you incredibly naive. If the insurance company can wriggle out of paying out £20k £30k or even £40k which m lites can easily reach, then they will.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Ry_B wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 pm
martin10chk wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm
Ja50nK wrote:

It’s not like there’s thousands of mX40’s out there with b48 engines and no PPF’s....
Probably quite a few B58 engines yes but only a minority go to the extent of tuning. I did about 10 years ago and haven’t since other than cosmetics and an M Performance exhaust on my last car.

I think the point is that now days most people don’t want to modify their cars because a) scared it will break (been there VW wanted £9k) b) insurance issues c) we care about the environment now because we are sensible.

We can’t win whatever we do. I applaud the people who make an effort to try to improve anything and seeing the tuners work hard to achieve goals can only be a good thing.

I am tempted to get bits done but agree with some other members, as standard the car is quick enough, I also find it quite comfortable, I have enjoyed 6 years in M Performance baby beemers and now planning to keep this one
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Snowman- which is the "law" that states you are not allowed to use aftermarket wheels, please enlighten us.

Snowman89
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Snowman89 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Goon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:53 pm
Snowman- which is the "law" that states you are not allowed to use aftermarket wheels, please enlighten us.
In Sweden most cars are approved according to something called "helfordonsgodkännande" which means that a car manufacturer gets the exact car approved.
I though it was similar to this in the UK since this is not something specific for Sweden, since it was introduced by EU and the same rules should apply for UK.
Like it or not, that is how it is.
For example you are only allowed to use wheel/tire combinations that the car could have been delivered with, anything outside voids the approval and would be considered illegal.
Sure i dont know of anyone who has been fined for it, but it is still considered illegal in the same way as fitting a decatted downpipe or any other modifications to the car that voids the approval.

Another example is if a modification would change the weight of the vehicle, that would also void the approval.

Feel free to google "helfordonsgodkänd" or "helfordonsgodkännande" and use google translate.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”