Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Dervtech solved PPF tuning issue

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Snowman89 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm
racey1979 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm
Each to their own but I just cannot fathom why you would decat a car making it road illegal, then having to p*ss about to get it through an MOT and most of all risking being handed a big fat FOOK OFF tablet from the insurance company if you end up binning it in to a ditch. And for what? 20 bhp? And a bit of extra noise?...Especially if these cars are producing 440 bhp from a remap alone. 440 BHP!!!! I mean FFS how much power do you really need in a relatively small car? They aren't exactly underpowered or slow in the first place.
Well that applies to EVERYTHING thats not fitted to the car when it leaves the factory.
The cars nowdays are approved as a complete unit, as it leaves the factory.
As the law states you are not allowed to swap to after market wheels, wider/smaller tires or retrofit ANYTHING that has not been approved by BMW.

So if you think a downpipe would give you a big fat "FOOK OFF" from the insurance company, so would that front lip people like to fit, or even those nice 19" aftermarket wheels or perhaps fitting aftermarket pads.

Just look at your upgraded suspension. Has that been approved by BMW and the appropriate authorities?
Why did you upgrade the suspension?
Its not like a M240 is a race car and its not like the stock suspension is poor.
The logic you are trying to use doesnt really work, since it is easily applied on any case, including your own car.
Which would make any upgrade or replacement, in any case, completly useless, no matter if it would be for performance or simply cosmetic.
Ya talking flannel mate all those mod things you mention as some kind of justification do not make a car road illegal merely insurance/warranty questionable..Removing factory fitted emissions equipment is road illegal,VOSA illegal, insurance completely voided...Further more in the event of an accident or crash scenario where there is injury or a fatality and your car is found to have such road illegal mods your are in a whole world of pain with potential public and private prosecutions...
Last edited by dailydoggy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:08 pm

There isn't full harmonisation across EU states so there are different laws and testing regulations. An obvious example of this is different speed limits, and we drive on the left hand side of the road in the UK but sit on the right!! We also have no mandatory winter tyre requirements, etc, etc, etc....
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

Snowman89
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Snowman89 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Snowman89 wrote:
racey1979 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm
Each to their own but I just cannot fathom why you would decat a car making it road illegal, then having to p*ss about to get it through an MOT and most of all risking being handed a big fat FOOK OFF tablet from the insurance company if you end up binning it in to a ditch. And for what? 20 bhp? And a bit of extra noise?...Especially if these cars are producing 440 bhp from a remap alone. 440 BHP!!!! I mean FFS how much power do you really need in a relatively small car? They aren't exactly underpowered or slow in the first place.
Well that applies to EVERYTHING thats not fitted to the car when it leaves the factory.
As the law states you are not allowed to swap to after market wheels, wider/smaller tires or retrofit ANYTHING that has not been approved by BMW.

So if you think a downpipe would give you a big fat "FOOK OFF" from the insurance company, so would that front lip people like to fit, or even those nice 19" aftermarket wheels or perhaps fitting aftermarket pads.

Just look at your upgraded suspension. Has that been approved by BMW and the appropriate authorities?
Its not like a M240 is a race car and its not like the stock suspension is poor.
The logic you are trying to use doesnt really work, since it is easily applied on any case, including your own car.
Which would make any upgrade or replacement, in any case, completly useless, no matter if it would be for performance or simply cosmetic.
Ya talking flannel mate all those mod things you mention as some kind of justification do not make a car road illegal merely insurance questionable..Removing factory fitted emissions equipment is road illegal,VOSA illegal, insurance completely voided...Further more in the event of an accident or crash scenario where there is injury or a fatality and your car is found to have such road illegal mods your are in a whole world of pain with potential public and private prosecutions...
The best part is that its actually the other way around.
Insurance companies have no problems insuring cars with upgraded parts, suspension, brakes, aero or performance.
However according to the approval/harmonisation you would not be allowed to change anything which would, in theory, make the car illegal and cause MOT failiures and/or tickets from the police if they would inspect the car.
However as i mentioned earlier this is one of the things that are not very well looked after since everyone does it.
But just because they dont see it on a visual inspection, doesnt mean that it is not illegal..

Im trying to provide you with facts and you are providing me with your personal opinions.

Feel free to search through this site and let me know if you find conflicting information.
https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/va ... kannanden/

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Snowman89 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm
dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Snowman89 wrote:

Ya talking flannel mate all those mod things you mention as some kind of justification do not make a car road illegal merely insurance questionable..Removing factory fitted emissions equipment is road illegal,VOSA illegal, insurance completely voided...Further more in the event of an accident or crash scenario where there is injury or a fatality and your car is found to have such road illegal mods your are in a whole world of pain with potential public and private prosecutions...
The best part is that its actually the other way around.
Insurance companies have no problems insuring cars with upgraded parts, suspension, brakes, aero or performance.
However according to the approval/harmonisation you would not be allowed to change anything which would, in theory, make the car illegal and cause MOT failiures and/or tickets from the police if they would inspect the car.
However as i mentioned earlier this is one of the things that are not very well looked after since everyone does it.
But just because they dont see it on a visual inspection, doesnt mean that it is not illegal..

Im trying to provide you with facts and you are providing me with your personal opinions.

Feel free to search through this site and let me know if you find conflicting information.
https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/va ... kannanden/
Your talking about stuff that is not technically road illegal and aligning it with mods or removing factory emissions equipment that is grossly road illegal to the point in 3 years time or age it would be instantly slapped with a serious illegal defect, none drive away failure in the UK...
Last edited by dailydoggy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 pm

But we are talking about UK laws here mate seeing as the outfit in question offering such services to remove the CAT and/or PPF is based in the U.K. Dailydoggy stated in his comment that removing factory emission control systems was illegal, an MOT failure and will void your insurance if discovered. Those are all FACTS, not an opinion.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 pm

These guys sadly seem solely interested in money and not your cars well being or your own well being or legal road status...

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:02 pm

As mentioned before if people want to do it it's their business but I cannot see the point of such a high risk/low reward mod in an already very quick car. Even more so when you can increase power well beyond 400bhp without removing any emissions equipment...it just doesn't compute :?
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 pm

All well and good winding these engines up but to me it comes at a price like more dangerous spikes in temp and you are relying on a stock cooling system to handle it which i find rather troublesome...

that constant abuse from temp from fuel pressure increase,from over boost yes the closed deck block will take it but will what is around it preserve it though?.It is a multi platform engine but when it is tweaked and used elswhere i am pretty sure it has additional equipment to support it usually cooling etc wise...

Spin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Spin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:56 am

nickb wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 pm
Ry_B wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 pm
martin10chk wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm

So thread could be titled "Dervtech create air pollution and particulate issue" ! Not sure this is progress but there you go.
It’s not like there’s thousands of mX40’s out there with b48 engines and no PPF’s....
Probably quite a few B58 engines yes but only a minority go to the extent of tuning. I did about 10 years ago and haven’t since other than cosmetics and an M Performance exhaust on my last car.

I think the point is that now days most people don’t want to modify their cars because a) scared it will break (been there VW wanted £9k) b) insurance issues c) we care about the environment now because we are sensible.

We can’t win whatever we do. I applaud the people who make an effort to try to improve anything and seeing the tuners work hard to achieve goals can only be a good thing.

I am tempted to get bits done but agree with some other members, as standard the car is quick enough, I also find it quite comfortable, I have enjoyed 6 years in M Performance baby beemers and now planning to keep this one

I agree with Nick in that the tuners should be applauded for investing time and money so that people have a choice. My history involved lots of remaps and upgrades but have to say I'm really happy with both the performance and styling on offer from my shadow edition. I do still get tempted occasionally by a map etc but I can honestly say I've never felt the car was slow in any situation. I'm a big fan of choice and think there should be a separate section for our greener members, its not as if our 3 litre petrol guzzlers are even remotely environmentally friendly so lets not kid ourselves that the odd decat will kill all the local kids.

Now old buses on the other hand.......
10 Audi S3 - 4*
12 M135i - Estoril F20 Man 4*
63 F21 125d Auto 4*
15 F21 135i Auto
16 RS3
66 Golf R
17 M140 Man
17 M140 auto shadow

MX5 mk1 & CLK430 Convertible for sunny days

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Spin wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:56 am
nickb wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 pm
Ry_B wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 pm

It’s not like there’s thousands of mX40’s out there with b48 engines and no PPF’s....
Probably quite a few B58 engines yes but only a minority go to the extent of tuning. I did about 10 years ago and haven’t since other than cosmetics and an M Performance exhaust on my last car.

I think the point is that now days most people don’t want to modify their cars because a) scared it will break (been there VW wanted £9k) b) insurance issues c) we care about the environment now because we are sensible.

We can’t win whatever we do. I applaud the people who make an effort to try to improve anything and seeing the tuners work hard to achieve goals can only be a good thing.

I am tempted to get bits done but agree with some other members, as standard the car is quick enough, I also find it quite comfortable, I have enjoyed 6 years in M Performance baby beemers and now planning to keep this one

I agree with Nick in that the tuners should be applauded for investing time and money so that people have a choice. My history involved lots of remaps and upgrades but have to say I'm really happy with both the performance and styling on offer from my shadow edition. I do still get tempted occasionally by a map etc but I can honestly say I've never felt the car was slow in any situation. I'm a big fan of choice and think there should be a separate section for our greener members, its not as if our 3 litre petrol guzzlers are even remotely environmentally friendly so lets not kid ourselves that the odd decat will kill all the local kids.

Now old buses on the other hand.......
YUp most ppl who applaud these ppl and and iffy illegal mods are full of something considering the sanctimonious nature and would be too sh+t scared to tell their insurance about such road illegal mods though cos they would cancel it instantly Such brave qualities!

I wonder when a typical monkey drives into Dervtech road legal and then drives out hours later totally road illegal minus a big chunk of money who is doing the hearty laughing?

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I would never do a cat removal because of the hassle come MOT time.

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Any factory fitted emissions equipment removal is not insurable at all on a public road so you are driving a 30k plus car road illegal with Void insurance it is rank stupidity! You are either lying to get insurance or lying during your policy and when you click or sign your policy you are confirming your car is road legal in the small print the i did not know angle/ excuse does not work you clicked or signed end of.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”