JB+ Known issues?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Elliot92
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by Elliot92 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Samp4856 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 pm
weirdly from experience the manual seems to like the jb+ a bit more than the auto, my auto m140 seemed really peaky and occasionally did an odd gear change with the jb+ fitted, the manual on the other hand im running at a higher setting of 2/2:30pm and seems much smoother,

if it helps its only run on shell v-power and has the afe intake, bcs midpipe and mpe back box.
Sounds good to me :D I was wondering how the ZF8 would adapt to the extra boost and its calibration. Any reason why you changed from auto to manual in a 140?
66' M240i Manual Black Sapphire
Previous: 53' E46 318i Black

5678
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by 5678 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Dazz4C wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 pm
No hidden tuner code or CEL at all?
Yes.

I ran one on my M135i lci for 18 months, it does throw various codes. I only had the car in the garage once in that time and took it off the week before, cleared everything and then used it for the week. I know that's not EVERY trace of it, but I felt happier that way.

Overall it was great, just felt like the normal car but turned up a bit more.
'18 F87 M2 LCI
'15 X5 30d
'04 Clio 182

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm
Location: South West Wales

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by Goon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Samp4856 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 pm
Elliot92 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 pm
Thanks all - think il go with it. It in terms of gains, around 370 to 380 HP?
On some dynos its more like 390-400,

I use mine in the 2:30 position and have to say its pretty much perfect
Oh yes indeed, the dentist position..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Samp4856
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:04 am

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Elliot92 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Samp4856 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 pm
weirdly from experience the manual seems to like the jb+ a bit more than the auto, my auto m140 seemed really peaky and occasionally did an odd gear change with the jb+ fitted, the manual on the other hand im running at a higher setting of 2/2:30pm and seems much smoother,

if it helps its only run on shell v-power and has the afe intake, bcs midpipe and mpe back box.
Sounds good to me :D I was wondering how the ZF8 would adapt to the extra boost and its calibration. Any reason why you changed from auto to manual in a 140?
Tbh i went from an auto 140 to a dct m2 to a manual 140 😂
M140 Shadow edition manual lots of goodies! :spotman:

Mr Mustard
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by Mr Mustard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am

5678 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Dazz4C wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 pm
No hidden tuner code or CEL at all?
Yes.

I ran one on my M135i lci for 18 months, it does throw various codes. I only had the car in the garage once in that time and took it off the week before, cleared everything and then used it for the week. I know that's not EVERY trace of it, but I felt happier that way.
So not a good idea to fit a tuning box if you want to keep your warranty in tact.
340i auto
Old flames: M235i 335D, E46 M3 smg, Alpina B3, 330ci, Audi A3 3.2 quattro, bike engined and V8 kit cars, Z650

User avatar
Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am

Mr Mustard wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am
So not a good idea to fit a tuning box if you want to keep your warranty in tact.
Depends. I think you'd have to be unlucky for it to actually affect anything.

I had a drivetrain error come up (misfire on cylinder 1), took my bluespark off and then took it in to the dealer to get checked. They couldn't find any issue but changed the spark plug on cylinder 1 and said to keep an eye on it and if it occurs again they'd move on to the injector (the 2 common faults for this).

Haven't had an issue since and they never questioned the warranty aspect.

I think only if something serious happened and they decided to delve deep into the ECU that they might come to you with a query. Not sure if it's ever happened though, but I guess you have to go into these things with your eye's open that there is a very minor possibility, but it's still a good option for someone wanting to 'tune' without going the full map and not be too much of a risk to warranty.

5678
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by 5678 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Mr Mustard wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 am
5678 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Dazz4C wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 pm
No hidden tuner code or CEL at all?
Yes.

I ran one on my M135i lci for 18 months, it does throw various codes. I only had the car in the garage once in that time and took it off the week before, cleared everything and then used it for the week. I know that's not EVERY trace of it, but I felt happier that way.
So not a good idea to fit a tuning box if you want to keep your warranty in tact.
Up to you. There's a risk to it. But it's low as risks go IMO.
'18 F87 M2 LCI
'15 X5 30d
'04 Clio 182

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 am

Re: JB+ Known issues?

Post by barneym140i » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 pm

its definitely a low risk but *if* something did go wrong like a gearbox or engine issue can you afford the bill? If its a risk you can take and know the potential costs in a worst case scenario and are happy with it then go for it, I am really really tempted myself but on a PCP car which isn't mine and has years of warranty remaining its not a risk I am willing to take.

Also worth checking with your insurance for additional costs

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”