First service and 'lost' active sound design

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

First service and 'lost' active sound design

Post by stag74 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Just collected from first service, (March '17 build) and being a manual with the current 'over rev' issue asked that no software be updated.
I double checked with them after the service, and they said no software had been updated.
Driving home and was conscious whether they had, or not.
Regarding the iDrive all the coding carried out by wibbles was still in place.
As soon as out of town in unrestricted country roads checked the gear change software.
Rev matched as before, including when skipping gears, and no over rev issue either, however something not quite right, too quiet!
My car has lost its 'growl', and I can actual hear the engine, the real engine, with no fake noises, it's weird to be honest!
Flicking between eco, comfort, sport makes no difference to the cabin noise at all, the fake noise has definitely gone!
Although I had rev matching before, I feel that it is more 'accurate' and 'positive'...?
So whatever the service guy said regarding no software update...I don't believe him!
Not actually sure if I want the fake noise back?...
M140i 3 Door Manual

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: First service and 'lost' active sound design

Post by ninja_geezer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm

stag74 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Just collected from first service, (March '17 build) and being a manual with the current 'over rev' issue asked that no software be updated.
I double checked with them after the service, and they said no software had been updated.
As soon as out of town in unrestricted country roads checked the gear change software.
Rev matched as before, including when skipping gears, and no over rev issue either, however something not quite right, too quiet!
My car has lost its 'growl', and I can actual hear the engine, the real engine, with no fake noises, it's weird to be honest!
Flicking between eco, comfort, sport makes no difference to the cabin noise at all, the fake noise has definitely gone!
Although I had rev matching before, I feel that it is more 'accurate' and 'positive'...?
So whatever the service guy said regarding no software update...I don't believe him!
i would call the service manager and ask exactly what they have done to the car ...
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stag74 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 am

ninja_geezer wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm
stag74 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm
i would call the service manager and ask exactly what they have done to the car ...
Will ring them today.
Had a play this morning while quiet on the local roads and the rev matching is definitely more 'aggressive' and I've definitely lost the fake engine noise, or it has been turned down, and no difference between the different driving modes regarding engine noise either.
M140i 3 Door Manual

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 pm

any updates?
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stag74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am

ninja_geezer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 pm
any updates?
I updated regarding the manual gearbox here:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110066&sid=5f7693e ... &start=105

But they phoned me back and stated no software was changed, which I still can not believe with the loss or reduced volume of fake noise.
To be honest since I have got her back it has been simply fantastic, the whole drive is so much better, without the fake noise (or turned down) too.
The engine blips on downshift are so much better.
Should really try and film a video and upload to YouTube.
M140i 3 Door Manual

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 am

stag74 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am
ninja_geezer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 pm
any updates?
I updated regarding the manual gearbox here:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110066&sid=5f7693e ... &start=105

But they phoned me back and stated no software was changed, which I still can not believe with the loss or reduced volume of fake noise.
To be honest since I have got her back it has been simply fantastic, the whole drive is so much better, without the fake noise (or turned down) too.
The engine blips on downshift are so much better.
Should really try and film a video and upload to YouTube.
sounds good :)

dailydoggy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dailydoggy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am

Ya can change the engine noise wiv bimmercode cant you?why not get the app and dongle n change it how ya like when ya like its not expensive
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am

If you’ve lost ASD it’s possible that it can be restored by unplugging the connection to the comms box in the boot and then reconnecting it, give it a few mins though unplugged.

When I fiddled with ASD in my m135i doing the above restores it every time I broke it using BimmerCode

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 am

wenklaw wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am
If you’ve lost ASD it’s possible that it can be restored by unplugging the connection to the comms box in the boot and then reconnecting it, give it a few mins though unplugged.

When I fiddled with ASD in my m135i doing the above restores it every time I broke it using BimmerCode
maybe a daft question what does the comms box look like ,m240i ,i can see the battery and there is a red oblong box type item on the far right as you look at it .

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:29 pm

ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 am
wenklaw wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am

maybe a daft question what does the comms box look like ,m240i ,i can see the battery and there is a red oblong box type item on the far right as you look at it .
Sorry mate mine was an m135i and i cant actually picture it now other than it being in the boot, it looks like a little server with cables and connections to it, the connection in question is a long rectangular one which you need to unclip a latch to unplug it. Sorry mate it was a good 18 months to 2 years back now.

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:33 pm

viewtopic.php?t=95373

That may help, the unit on the m135i is over the wheel arch

Woots
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Woots » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Dealer hadn’t heard of active sound before...so she looked in the handbook and no mention of it there either
She thought I was talking crap, the 68’s have active sound don’t they? Not that I can tell if I can actually hear it...

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”