Looking for an M135i..

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

edh135

Looking for an M135i..

Post by edh135 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

..if anyone is thinking of selling

I'm after a fairly specific car though - manual, adaptive suspension, without tints, and not red leather..

I've driven a manual/msport suspension and an auto/adaptive so far & I think manual/adaptive will be the best combination for me.

It's replacing an E90 325D that got written off earlier this year - will be mainly for the boring motorway stuff, but we don't need a 3 series sized car any more, and I do like a nice 6 cylinder motor. One option might be to buy a car without adaptive & fit the Birds suspension kit?

I've got a 996 C2 & a 944 track car, so have the "fun car" bit pretty well covered already.

TIA

Ed

MyMlight
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Looking for an M135i..

Post by MyMlight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 pm

If I was doing a lot of boring motorway stuff I’d go for an auto. Higher gearing makes motorways a bit more relaxed and a better mpg to boot...
Having said that I do 25-30k a year in my auto but occasionally get the itch for a proper manual. Tut, just can’t please some people!

Edit: So this reply is of no use at all, apologies!

2016 M135i Auto

edh135

Re: Looking for an M135i..

Post by edh135 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 am

I'll only be doing ~10k pa in this car, so fuel economy isn't a primary issue. (If I was concerned about fuel economy I wouldn't be buying a 3.0 6cyl turbo.. :) )

schaeffs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by schaeffs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:08 am

edh135 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 am
I'll only be doing ~10k pa in this car, so fuel economy isn't a primary issue. (If I was concerned about fuel economy I wouldn't be buying a 3.0 6cyl turbo.. :) )
Another vote for an Auto - IMO it suits the car very well - especially if you are doing lots of "commuter" activities in it. And before you say it - I have another manual car for the fun stuff!

edh135

Post by edh135 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Well not so much commuting but the occasional long journey - I work from home a fair bit (or in central London, by train). Anyway it took me 30 seconds in a manual car to decide, after driving the auto the day before..

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm

i test drove an auto when i was looking for my M140i i soon decided i really did not like the detached feel from the gear shift process you effectively have to take what the car decides it going to do gear wise or in some cases refuses to give you and not what you would like to do, so no thrashy old school hooliganism or well you know what i mean all those manual bad habits you learn over the years..

it was very easy to confuse the auto i found with furious twitchy n bendy roads driving like it was struggling to make it's mind up what gear to select or go for...
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm
i test drove an auto when i was looking for my M140i i soon decided i really did not like the detached feel from the gear shift process you effectively have to take what the car decides it going to do gear wise or in some cases refuses to give you and not what you would like to do, so no thrashy old school hooliganism or well you know what i mean all those manual bad habits you learn over the years..

it was very easy to confuse the auto i found with furious twitchy n bendy roads driving like it was struggling to make it's mind up what gear to select or go for...
Didn't you try it in manual/sport mode? Auto for tedious driving, manual mode for proper driving. It does take time to get used to the paddle shift, but you can still use the "stick" to change gears if that's what you prefer.
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 pm

markm240i wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 pm
dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Didn't you try it in manual/sport mode? Auto for tedious driving, manual mode for proper driving. It does take time to get used to the paddle shift, but you can still use the "stick" to change gears if that's what you prefer.
i had it for an afternoon..

Constantly changing the mode to suite different types of road in the same days drive got on my t+ts it was far easier to me personally to change my feet shuffling style on the pedals and left hand on the stick and felt more natural adapting instantly via my own hand and footwork then lunging for a bloody switch all the time which i found too distracting...

Each to their own but like the OP i soon realised i did not like it at all it may suite the play station and F1 generation but not myself..plus the notorious whining box fault put me off them aswell, none of that grief with a manual..

P

Ba1d Assassin

Post by Ba1d Assassin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Owed an M135i manual and had to sell it due to the really offset clutch, not good for my back at all, you have to sit with the pelvis turned or knee really bent to the right. The adaptive suspension is a must and transforms the feel.

I moved to a M140i auto and find the ZF so smooth and quick that I don't use the manual much. Using the paddles is fun and gives you that added sense of control if u want. The manuals ratios could be stretched a bit though to help at higher speeds as mentioned above, love the chilled 8th gear in the auto. I don't miss the manual at all the ZF is a beautiful bit if kit.

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:42 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Each to their own but like the OP i soon realised i did not like it at all it may suite the play station and F1 generation but not myself..plus the notorious whining box fault put me off them aswell, none of that grief with a manual..

P
I'm certainly not play station generation. I'm a fan of both types TBH and have owned far more manual cars than auto, but it does take more than an afternoon to adjust and appreciate the plus points of a modern multi feature auto. I tried my first Auto in 2006 and vowed never again as it was a typical slow witted Merc slushbox of the time. Wind the clock forward 12 years and the difference is massive with the best of the dual clutch and torque converters. The best manuals of today don't feel any better or on a par with an S2000 I had 15 years ago.

As you say, each to their own.

Apologies to the OP - somewhat off topic :-)
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:01 am

I can vouch for Birds suspension OP, it’s expensive and there will be those who say there cheaper alternatives that give good results, just going on my own experience. Its not quite as comfortable as adaptive set in comfort mode but it certainly isn’t uncomfortable, it takes a pretty terrible road to unsettle it. It completely outshines adaptive in sport mode when pressing on however. The manual vs auto debate is pointless too, you buy what you prefer. If I was buying mine as a weekend car/toy I would have chosen manual without hesitation. The fact that 90% of the time it’s the daily driver is why I picked auto. It took me a good couple of weeks to get used to it’s behaviours (it also adjusts to yours) but now I have it’s an amazing auto....light years ahead of even the last generation, the zf6. Me personally, if you are using it primarily on a motorway I’d pick auto for it’s higher gearing, but that’s me.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

MEddy78

Post by MEddy78 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Ba1d Assassin wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 pm
Owed an M135i manual and had to sell it due to the really offset clutch, not good for my back at all, you have to sit with the pelvis turned or knee really bent to the right. The adaptive suspension is a must and transforms the feel.
I can't say I've noticed the pedal offset on the wife's M135i manual. My daily drive is a F31 auto and prefer the adaptive suspension the M135i has.

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Its all about having somewhere rest ya foot straight when cruising no offset means no footrest i know which i prefer givin how much time ya actually spend changing gear to start wiv

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”