Sluggish/jerky/hesitant acceleration in gear

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Joneseluke

Sluggish/jerky/hesitant acceleration in gear

Post by Joneseluke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Anyone had an issue when accelerating hard in gear and car feels sluggish and hesitant?

Happened today when changing down 6th to 4th and flooring it to overtake, acceleration is jerky then seems slow.

Always drive in sport plus so rules out traction control however it does feel like when TC cuts in when driving in comfort or sport

M140i with only 10k miles and no mods

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Sluggish/jerky/hesitant acceleration in gear

Post by Jahjaman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 pm

High ambient temperatures, high humidity, high intake temperatures from heat soak?
Was the car sitting in traffic basking in its own heat just prior to the manoeuvre?

These engines love the cold and are very, very sensitive to air intake temps.

We've dyno'd a number of 140's and understand that as intake air temps increase, power decreases significantly.

Also, you're right in that TC is limited in Sport+, but both TC and Stability Control are still active and will rein in the engine power if it thinks it's going to lose control. It could be that it thought you were going to kill yourself so limited power?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - F80 LCA + SuperPro TS castor bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”