Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Running without TPMS fitted

Post by Quattrodave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Afternoon all,

Looking for some advice please.

I've just been offered a spare set of 436m's with both a set of bridgestones and a set of winter tyres for a crazy cheap price (£300!) but they don't come with TPMS. What's the implications of putting this spare set on with the winter tyres without TPMS?

What I'll probably do is get the winters put onto my rims so they will have TPMS and keeping the spares without for now but now I've thought about the question I'm curious as to what issues would occur!

TIA.

Samp4856
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Running without TPMS fitted

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 pm

From memory you will get the tpm warning lamp on the dash and wont be able to activate sport plus or tsc off.
M140 Shadow edition manual lots of goodies! :spotman:

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I ran all last year with winters without TPMS sensors. You get a warning on the iDrive as you start the car that you simply "OK" with the control knob and then the car flashes the little orange dash warning symbol for about 30 seconds after which it simply stays on.

I got used to it pretty quick and you soon forget about it. I'm getting new winter tyres this year though so have got some sensors to fit with them, but it's no big deal to run without.

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Aye, I got used to the light being on on my old car, doesn't actually effect it in any way :)

Pretty sure you can get the light coded out if you can't deal with it!
M135i (2014 Manual) - Custom Stainless Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, M4 Front Pads, MeisterR Coilovers, Cades Bern Wheels, Reiger Diffuser, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills, M4 Mirror Caps

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks all, not being able to turn TSC off doesn't bother me but I'm quite used to sport+ now. Having said that, it's coming up to winter so don't plan on doing much outside of comfort for a while!

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shifty_dave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm pretty sure you can activate Sport+ and turn TC off when the TPMS warning flashes up. Half the reason for disabling TC is to allow a little spin of the wheels in icy conditions without the power being cut. I ran winter wheels and tyres last year without TPMS sensors and as mentioned above you just acknowledge the warning on start up and that's it.

Just be mindful that if you need to take the car for an MOT then the warning will be a failure.
16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / Privacy Glass / Heated Seats

bayou
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bayou » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 pm

If you want to code out the TPMS to get rid of the (pretty intrusive IMO!) warning light, I successfully used the guide here last winter when I put on my non-sensor wheels: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showp ... stcount=24

Given that my TPMS pressures always seemed to be about 4psi lower than what the pressure actually was, I ended up sticking with the rolling radius flat tyre monitor throughout summer too.
M140i F21 auto EB Oyster/Fineline w/ Pro Nav, HK, Driver Comfort, Heated Front Seats, Front and Rear PDC.

Biggundun

Post by Biggundun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am

Where did you get the wheels from at that price?!
2018 M140i Shadow Edition, sapphire black, pro media, front/rear PDC, folding anti dazzle mirrors, electric heated front seats. New to this forum lark!

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by louisjack23 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 am

Everything works as normal, you just have a light on but you don't even notice after a few drives.

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 am

Biggundun wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am
Where did you get the wheels from at that price?!
Local tyre and exhaust place I use. One of their regulars came in and upgraded alloys and tyres and never got round to collecting the old 436m's with bridgestones (presumably run flats). shop finally got hold of him saying there's a potential buyer and a deal was struck :) As an extra sweetener they said they'd throw in the 225/40/18 winters they have had 4 of since last year with only around 3k miles on them.

Biggundun

Post by Biggundun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:27 am

Wow. Landed lucky there. I’m trying to source some winter tyre at a decent price. Just unsure whether to but the TPMS and spare wheels, or just swap the tyres over
2018 M140i Shadow Edition, sapphire black, pro media, front/rear PDC, folding anti dazzle mirrors, electric heated front seats. New to this forum lark!

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am

If you have a garage or somewhere appropriate to store the tyres when not in use, swapping the tyres over isn't too bad an idea, you just have to accept the fitting costs twice a year to switch to and from them.

I got separate wheels simply for the convenience of changing them when I want, and also I can have a square setup which means I can rotate the tyres and maybe get a couple of extra seasons out of them. Also when I sell the car I can sell the winters probably for close to what I paid for them.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”