Bang for your Buck

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Bang for your Buck

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm

I have fast realised during my lengthy search for what is my first 140i that there is a sea of iffy 135's and 140's developing out there in second hand land these car pound for pound are the cheapest,half decent sub 5 sec,none 2 litre block machines for the money but that comes at a price i have found the younger cash rich lads and hoodlums out there love them youtube etc proves that and they like messing with them and abusing them too in a feckless manor..

I bought mine from a main dealer pretty cheap looking at it cos it was manual plus i wanted manual anyway, but i felt far more safe than going private to be honest..
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Bang for your Buck

Post by Steven1077 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 pm

This is why I have only ever bought new, still a good price after a £9k discount
Drives F56 Mini Cooper, F21 M140i on its way
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i, F30 340i, F22 M240i

martin10chk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by martin10chk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Yo do pay dearly for new though. Second-hand? I think buying privately takes a lot of patience. I wait for the right car with the right seller (normally the first and only owner, who exhibits the right signals of taking care, keeping records and generally exhibiting maturity - not to be confused with age!). This forum is good. Especially the members with a bit of history. Buying from a dealer helps a bit but not a lot in my experience - they are just as keen to sell the ragged about abused rubbish as the good and unfortunately can be quite good at "preparing" a car in way that disguises abuse. My favourite inspection item? The brakes. A car that has done 20000 miles or so should be on its original discs and pads. I have encountered many dealer offerings where they have had (at quite a cost) swapped out these. Suggests to me its had a hard life.

iladtani

Post by iladtani » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm

martin10chk wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm
My favourite inspection item? The brakes. A car that has done 20000 miles or so should be on its original discs and pads. I have encountered many dealer offerings where they have had (at quite a cost) swapped out these. Suggests to me its had a hard life.
Completely agree with this. I bought 2 years old and waited until a really high spec car came up, Upon investigation it was on its original pads and discs at 24k miles with loads of meat left. In fact, my last car before that was a Focus ST bought at 2 years old with 44k miles and that was on original pads and discs too as it had just been doing motorway miles with all the right servicing.

It certainly pays to buy on condition. Tyres are also a good indicator of driving style.

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Mine had only done 3k and never left BMW dealership was one of the staffs car conpletely unmarked inside and out very happy with its mintness all round just like a brand new one really for a bucketl load less lolly.

Alwill
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Alwill » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm

I bought mine used from a bmw dealer and don't regret it , I might of paid slightly more than a private sale but worth it for the peace of mind . A lot of people nowadays don't look after their cars and only sell them when there is something wrong with it . When you are spending a fair bit of money on a car it's a big gamble to buy privately.
M135i LCI , mineral grey / coral interior .

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Yeah I must admit these are amazing value if you get a good deal. I got mine pre-reg (only 27 miles on it) for a good bit under 30k. Apart from being on the last 6 months plate and me being the 'second owner' it was basically a brand new car.

Must admit when I read people who say things like they don't bother with any sort of run in period and just redline it from the off, it really makes me glad to go brand new.

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

If you buy privately particularly at the 2-3 year old+ mark you do at least get to see and make a judgement on the previous owner and how they might have treated the car. Buying through a dealer you have no clue how hard a life it's has previously and many of those 3 year old cars advertised privately will end up being handed back to the dealer when they struggle to sell privately to allow them to get into another 3 year PCP cycle.
Last edited by Locoblade on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Alwill wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm
I bought mine used from a bmw dealer and don't regret it , I might of paid slightly more than a private sale but worth it for the peace of mind . A lot of people nowadays don't look after their cars and only sell them when there is something wrong with it . When you are spending a fair bit of money on a car it's a big gamble to buy privately.
Yal be surprised at some of the private p+ss takers trying to sell their cars while under finance still for idiotic prices which are way more than i paid at a main dealer...

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Alwill wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm
Yal be surprised at some of the private p+ss takers trying to sell their cars while under finance still for idiotic prices which are way more than i paid at a main dealer...

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”