pressed aluminium number plates

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

un1eash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: pressed aluminium number plates

Post by un1eash » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am

I use the black double sided foam tape with the green backing. Most motor factors stock it as do halfords.

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

un1eash wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am
I use the black double sided foam tape with the green backing. Most motor factors stock it as do halfords.
Many thanks will pop to Halfords today. did you still directly to the black plastic on the front with it ok ?
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am

ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am
There is always one i suppose and its you.....if you can't contribute anything towards the thread i posted then dont bother posting. .if you don't like pressed plates that's up to you we all have choices ,i posted the thread to ask questions about different methods of adhesion to the black plastic on the front as its not a smooth surface not for people like your self to come in and comment on irrelevant stuff regarding the legality of the plates .(they are 100% legal)
i suggest you go and read up on some of the largest numberplate suppliers websites to see if they are legal or not
.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I contributed to your thread ~ as well as informing you that metal plates are illegal (in case you didn't know) I also gave you 2 very good ways of securing them should you wish to still go ahead and put metal plates on your vehicle.
Maybe you missed that though while you were getting all hot under the collar. :makefun:

Some info here which is basically what I told you with in my first post from a number plate supplier with over 30 years of experience in the industry: https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/blog/ ... lates.html

Fill your boots though and do what you like it's your car after all. :wavey:
2012 Alpine White F20 M135i

520d
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

pressed aluminium number plates

Post by 520d » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I stuck my front plate direct to the black plastic plinth. Make sure you clean it well first and on a day like today (10 deg here) I used a hair dryer to warm everything up first and once in place.
I’ve actually just put my front plate on the M2 today.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageImage

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:42 pm

GMballistic wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am
ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am
There is always one i suppose and its you.....if you can't contribute anything towards the thread i posted then dont bother posting. .if you don't like pressed plates that's up to you we all have choices ,i posted the thread to ask questions about different methods of adhesion to the black plastic on the front as its not a smooth surface not for people like your self to come in and comment on irrelevant stuff regarding the legality of the plates .(they are 100% legal)
i suggest you go and read up on some of the largest numberplate suppliers websites to see if they are legal or not
.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I contributed to your thread ~ as well as informing you that metal plates are illegal (in case you didn't know) I also gave you 2 very good ways of securing them should you wish to still go ahead and put metal plates on your vehicle.
Maybe you missed that though while you were getting all hot under the collar. :makefun:

Some info here which is basically what I told you with in my first post from a number plate supplier with over 30 years of experience in the industry: https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/blog/ ... lates.html

Fill your boots though and do what you like it's your car after all. :wavey:
have a read on the DVLA website they make the rules nobody else ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:44 pm

520d wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm
I stuck my front plate direct to the black plastic plinth. Make sure you clean it well first and on a day like today (10 deg here) I used a hair dryer to warm everything up first and once in place.
I’ve actually just put my front plate on the M2 today.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageImage
looks great thanks for the info..regardless of what Mr GBballistic says.. :D

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:09 pm

The double sided tape works well.

Whether you like it or not the legality is questionable. Why? The manufacturer can only assert they pass the display regulations.

Certainly they are capable of passing (and may well do so).

Ultimate if pc49 gets his bum in his handbag and doesnt like them it is off to court. If your assertion is right you win.

Couple of intetesting threads on pepipoo on the exact subject.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:37 pm

ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 am
SteveM wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 am
Passing an MOT for eight does not in any way prove that they are legal.

Metal plates can be made to be retroreflective, and as such, meet that specific part of the legislation. But as they cannot self-flex back to their original state, they fail that specific part of the legislation.

Are they legal? - No.
Will they pass an MOT? - It appears so.
Will you get a tug? - Unlikely.
Will they do anything to improve the look of your car? - Personal opinion.
Just had a good read on the DVLA website steve and I can't find the part about the self-flexing, I wonder if they have changed it?
I have been assured these are 100% road legal in the UK. the company is a DVLA numberplate approved supplier as well. I even went on the DVLA website and they are named as an official registered supplier.
it says this:

Registered number plate supplier

Rest assured, all our number plates are MOT Compliant and fully legal. :?
For clarity, I have no issue with the type of plate you wish to put on your car. Providing they are legible and have the correct font I honestly don’t see it as a problem.

I’ve found a link to the actual British Standard document (normally only purchasable from the BSI website) which lists all of the technical requirements. Have a read of page 4, and look at the diagram on page 6. I very much doubt that an aluminium plate will return to 25mm of its original state once tested.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/bs_au_145d.pdf
M240 auto.

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Whilst we’re on the subject, the British Standard au 145d was superseded by au 145e earlier this year :D

The rules are now stricter on types of material used to try to help with longevity and clarity of plates.
M240 auto.

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm

ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:42 pm
have a read on the DVLA website they make the rules nobody else ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have and one thing that the DVLA do stipulate is;
Your number plate must be made from a reflective material
This means not retroactively made reflective by treatment. Aluminium, which traditionally makes up pressed number plates, does not meet this standard.

As I said though do what you like I'm finished with discussing this with you.

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:16 pm

GMballistic wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:45 pm
ninja_geezer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:42 pm
I have and one thing that the DVLA do stipulate is;
Your number plate must be made from a reflective material
This means not retroactively made reflective by treatment. Aluminium, which traditionally makes up pressed number plates, does not meet this standard.

As I said though do what you like I'm finished with discussing this with you.
Nor is acrylic a reflective material. The sticky backing is though. The British standard does not state whether the reflective material from which the plate is made should be stuck on the front or back. It does state that the white/yellow (background) must have a minimum coefficient retroreflectiveness and that the black numbers must have a maximum coefficient retroreflectiveness.
M240 auto.

520d
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 520d » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:19 pm

ninja_geezer wrote:
looks great thanks for the info..regardless of what Mr GBballistic says.. :D
I’m sure he’s just trying to be helpful, however it’s sometimes how you say things that makes a difference.
On a side note my last Merc came brand new from the dealers with metal plates, not pressed but still metal that behaved similar to pressed plates if bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 pm

520d wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:19 pm
I’m sure he’s just trying to be helpful, however it’s sometimes how you say things that makes a difference.
Thank you 520d I was and you're right.

It's the one problem with writing things online or via text messages, ...we're missing the face to face aspect which gives us body language ques etc letting us understand people better. :thumbs:

Bumble
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bumble » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm

But would the plates be illegal or just not to current standards ?

I myself would use a few small dots of clear silicone sealant along side with the adhesive pads. Super strong, permanent but removable if needed to be.

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Bumble wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm
But would the plates be illegal or just not to current standards ?

I myself would use a few small dots of clear silicone sealant along side with the adhesive pads. Super strong, permanent but removable if needed to be.
Current standards came into force in 2001. There are slightly different rules for cars manufactured prior to 1973 and for those manufactured between 1973 and 2001. Anything produced after 2001 must meet the 2001 standard.

Like I said earlier, the risk of failing an MOT or getting a tug are minimal.
M240 auto.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”