Anyone recognise this car?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Anyone recognise this car?

Post by Arnie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 pm

OneTwenty wrote:Well done on the website Arnie, looks really useful. I notice my old Focus ST is listed as a salvage from Jul 2015 which is a shame!! (PF07XOO)

I'm interested from a technical viewpoint, does it link into a live salvage database or do you just update your own database everyday with salvage records and grow it that way? I have a customer that does a similar thing with classic auctions.

I'm a web designer/developer and have spent over 20 years writing my own backend systems like yours so if you need any tech help ever just DM me. :)
It is not me doing all work directly with getting it updated but currently database gets around 2k records per day from around 40 different salvage companies.

I only have exclusive use of all data and built HPI backend on top of it.

But tbh it is not hard to replicate it all for different purposes, like having ebay ads history.

Problem is it requires a lot of ANPR in many cases and really it has to make financial sense to record all that data.
2008' E82 135i

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Anyone recognise this car?

Post by Arnie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm

PS. Your focus did not end up well Image

It is cat C on HPi and matches with salvage record:

And in fact it goes all the way back to 2015 so data is good in some cases, I wish that database index was created few more years earlier.

The thing actual database doesn’t even hold images, in most cases I pull them on the fly and put in temporary cache for faster displaying.

See that link for example for single image attached to report, it expired after it was viewed on my site ealier today:

https://www.vcheck.uk/cache/20190211/11 ... 66e1ef.JPG
2008' E82 135i

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am

Wow that didn't end well!! :O

I spent £2000 fixing that ST before I sold it as well!! Just fixing the standard things that went wrong with them, ABS sensor, dodgy wishbone bushes which ruined 2 brand new tyres, oil diaphragm etc etc.

It was a fun car, but weak so no surprise it ended up there.

Good luck with the website, if I ever buy used I will be using the site reports. :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 am

God, I'm finding more of my old cars on there now, our Honda Civic we had when my son was born in 2007 - PE56 OWV

Was hoping to see that one around again!! :(
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Locoblade wrote:Still spinning a yarn suggesting it's his own personal car that was stolen and recovered when it clearly went through a salvage auction.
Unless it was stolen again after the auction after he bought it?
2008' E82 135i

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Locoblade wrote:Still spinning a yarn suggesting it's his own personal car that was stolen and recovered when it clearly went through a salvage auction.
It looks like the car was salvage few months before he bought so he may not be aware of full history. And possibly it was actually stolen during his ownership but no data to prove it.

Or he made the story about it being stolen to cover cat N in the system. Either way I created full report, with keeper changes and all plates history etc.

https://www.vcheck.uk/report/GK17NRL-H2KFGJI/

2008' E82 135i

Locoblade

Post by Locoblade » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Nice one, its done over 20k miles since it went through the salvage auction so the story might be more factual than we're giving him credit for I guess.

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Locoblade wrote:Nice one, its done over 20k miles since it went through the salvage auction so the story might be more factual than we're giving him credit for I guess.
I am not saying every seller out there is dodgy one. I am only saying more data you have, better more informed decision you can make on your new purchase;)
2008' E82 135i

Locoblade

Post by Locoblade » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Yep wasnt really referring to anything you said about him, it was me that made the original comment about spinning a line and it may still be true anyway :)

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Locoblade wrote:Yep wasnt really referring to anything you said about him, it was me that made the original comment about spinning a line and it may still be true anyway :)
Yeah I understand. That story about being stolen doesn’t add up tbh. Unless he claims it happened second time during his ownership, but if he refers to Cat N being for stolen/recovered then its a lie as salvage pics prove otherwise and it was before he bought it.
2008' E82 135i

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

Nice article on all this and reference to vcheck at auto express!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... ff-scandal
M140I SE / MG, Oyster, Orbit Grey / Manual / Heated Seats / Adaptive

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19 pm

I think it was covered in all major newspapers. Even The Times printed it;)

I hope it prompts the change!
2008' E82 135i

chinskee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by chinskee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Hello Arnie, Wanting to do a check and was wondering if there was any forum discount, thought I heard about it being mentioned before! cheers!
'63 M135i - Saphire Black
Instagram: f21Charlie
Previous Cars:
13 116i MSport, '63 116D Sport

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:21 pm

chinskee wrote:Hello Arnie, Wanting to do a check and was wondering if there was any forum discount, thought I heard about it being mentioned before! cheers!
Yea there is one: BABYBMW

10% off for members here.

I’ve just introduced apple and google pay today as well for faster payments.

Any problems let me know!
2008' E82 135i

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”