Anyone recognise this car?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Anyone recognise this car?

Post by dailydoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 am

"Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! "
1 out of 5 stars See
When I arrived at LE11 Cars for my test drive appointment there was nobody there. 10 minutes later someone came back. They gave me the keys and said they would be with me in a few minutes. At least the additional 20 minutes I was waiting before leaving gave me time to find the overspray on the sill, badly repaired (with metal strips) door mirror housing and badly repaired glove box door. I strongly suspect that this car had received a strong shunt to the side which was badly repaired, undeclared in the listing and they were asking over top price for the car. Including the walk down and back, that's an hour and a half I'll never see again.
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

ZChris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ZChris » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 am

Arnie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:56 pm

I have a meeting with a chap on Monday who has access to all councils in UK with current and historic data, for private hire vehicles. If I manage to get a deal with him I may be able to add another option which will display if car was ever a mini cab which tbh is a red light for any buyer as well as it would indicate highly used vehicle.
Yes a PHV is a red light if the car has been clocked, but otherwise a PHV should be noticeable by normal wear and tear indications such as worn seats and pedal rubbers, loose gears etc.). PHVs also have a much more stringent 'MOT' so arguably there isn't the same sort of deceit going on there.
Yes we would all like to know if our potential car purchase had been a PHV but to me it falls into the category of normal second-hand car buying care for the purchaser to be responsible for checking that the car is in a condition worth the sale price, rather than direct subterfuge you have uncovered with salvage and HPI.

I suppose what I am saying is, does adding the PHV information give any extra value given its a more subjectively useful bit of information?

If you are going to approach the big car forums they will undoubtedly be happy for you to give as much information as possible on your site, but maybe approach the big car magazine and review sites as well as big second-hand sellers such as Autotrader and the like and ask them what their opinion is ( I know you have done this already but be persistent). A face to face meeting will always be better than letter or email so push for that? They might be able to recommend what to do to grow in a way that suits them, and so a way in which you could offer them a paid service. It is hard to believe that they would not be interested. I suspect they would want proof that the salvage side is as complete and up to date as possible and some sort of advertising kickback, sorry, I mean referral fee :P .

Bottom line is, to make a high level of money is going to be hard but it could be a very good earner in the end. Your unique selling point is the data you have already amassed. Maybe consider Dragons Den ? :wink:

I hope you don't mind me giving my unasked for 2p worth. All of this is meant with the utmost respect to the work you have done and continue to do.

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 pm

I will do my best to be persistent defo!

It is not my current full time job and I pretty much built vcheck.uk over nights, as got little baby now and second on the way already due in few months.

When I started working on the site I never thought about the stuff I uncovered here.

Hmm Dragon’s Den? Not ready to give them %% of my 1.5 year of work for their support silly offers;) I am not desperate, I will let it grow naturally for now;)

Thanks for all the support, I will try to get my sponsor section up her on Baby Bmw today aswell.
2008' E82 135i

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 pm

ZChris wrote:
Arnie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:56 pm

I have a meeting with a chap on Monday who has access to all councils in UK with current and historic data, for private hire vehicles. If I manage to get a deal with him I may be able to add another option which will display if car was ever a mini cab which tbh is a red light for any buyer as well as it would indicate highly used vehicle.
Yes a PHV is a red light if the car has been clocked, but otherwise a PHV should be noticeable by normal wear and tear indications such as worn seats and pedal rubbers, loose gears etc.). PHVs also have a much more stringent 'MOT' so arguably there isn't the same sort of deceit going on there.
Yes we would all like to know if our potential car purchase had been a PHV but to me it falls into the category of normal second-hand car buying care for the purchaser to be responsible for checking that the car is in a condition worth the sale price, rather than direct subterfuge you have uncovered with salvage and HPI.

I suppose what I am saying is, does adding the PHV information give any extra value given its a more subjectively useful bit.
PHV is useful but like you explained it is not as big red light as salvage records showing clearly damaged cars.

I am aware this fella had a talks with HPI and they made an offer to him for his company and data but he refused on basis it was not enough.

Tbh PHV can be spotted on MOT records as they are required to do them every 6 months. I saw few PHV cars and it amazes me when most of them covered almost equal amount of miles (3k per six months). Coincidence or just clocking every six months to keep mileage low?

In terms of my reports with full check I provide additional mileage records which often come from companies like BVRLA and indicate straight away it was a rental vehicle at some stage.

There is a lot of data out there, it’s a matter of getting it all together and joining the dots.
2008' E82 135i

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm

If the BMW originally mentioned has gone thru salvage as stolen recovered surely that means the insurance wrote it off and paid out the owner is it not then a CAT car?

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pm

HPI checks only show if the car is a write off I believe, you can smash hellout of them and get it repaired and HPI is none the wiser.

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:43 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 pm
If the BMW originally mentioned has gone thru salvage as stolen recovered surely that means the insurance wrote it off and paid out the owner is it not then a CAT car?
It it cat X as you may read in some places but as it is not write off this is not coming up as red marker on HPI. On my site wont say it was write-off either but will be marked on salvage history.

See yourself HPI vs VCHECK:

https://www.instantcarcheck.co.uk/repor ... 91/FC16DZV
https://www.vcheck.uk/report/FC16DZV-MR4U21J/

On some cars even without pictures I can get info if it was stolen/recovered but data is patchy and for this particular example MIAFTR is clean of any history.
2008' E82 135i

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Are they not being dishonest and breaking any laws as a car dealer business by not revealing about it's chequered history?

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm
Are they not being dishonest and breaking any laws as a car dealer business by not revealing about it's chequered history?
To be honest if they relay on HPI, as of most car dealers do, then they are telling the truth if anyone asks for any history. Unless they bought it themselves (which could be the case as mileage did not increase much since auction) then yes defo hiding stuff and breaking the law in my opinin.

Have you seen below cars I posted in other thread? They are all HPI clear....

2008' E82 135i

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Arnie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm
dailydoggy wrote:
To be honest if they relay on HPI, as of most car dealers do, then they are telling the truth if anyone asks for any history. Unless they bought it themselves (which could be the case as mileage did not increase much since auction) then yes defo hiding stuff and breaking the law in my opinin.

Yup seen that it is frightening...

I am going to be diplomatic about this as best i can but when i was searching for an M140i a few months ago practically every CAT repaired or iffy car i came across was being sold by the same types of individuals, all with foreign names,
The companieshouse records of the owners of this dealership in this OP's thread well i am saying nothing else about that ...

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Arnie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm
dailydoggy wrote:

Yup seen that it is frightening...

I am going to be diplomatic about this as best i can but when i was searching for an M140i a few months ago practically every CAT repaired or iffy car i came across was being sold by the same types of individuals, all with foreign names,
The companieshouse records of the owners of this dealership in this OP's thread well i am saying nothing else about that ...
Hehe not saying anything but I may have started a fight with my own peopleImage

I came across few “bruvs” from central parts of UK who were not that honest either so it doesn’t limit foreign nationals.

And the biggest dealers I found some interesting examples is Evans Halshaw so far.

I have checked BMW used approved and out of 21k on BMW UK website currently only 2 came up on my DB as stolen recovered but with no damage so hats off to them.
2008' E82 135i

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 pm

That is is still shocking for a main dealer i would not be pleased if i found out...

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:10 pm

dailydoggy wrote:That is is still shocking for a main dealer i would not be pleased if i found out...
Same story they relay on HPI but they are more than welcome to switch to my company;)

The only one which I got 0 results so far was cargiant. Last time I checked none of their cars were on salvage auctions.
2008' E82 135i

Arnie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Arnie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 am

OK small update on BMW approved. BMW UK currently has 4 cars on sale from my DB:

I am not going top post images yet or name and shame them but will give you brief warning to check on my site before you buy anything from main dear anytime soon...

2 x 2 series Stolen/Recovered (One is m240i with small scratch on the side) - those are not the big worry
1 Series - Water/Flood sold as Unrecorded Salvage
5 Series - Damaged up front and was labelled cat S on salvage auction but marker disappeared and it's HPI clear, plenty of airbags deployed

I will be reaching tomorrow to BMW for their comment.

Fun times :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2008' E82 135i

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am

Arnie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 am
OK small update on BMW approved. BMW UK currently has 4 cars on sale from my DB:

I am not going top post images yet or name and shame them but will give you brief warning to check on my site before you buy anything from main dear anytime soon...

2 x 2 series Stolen/Recovered (One is m240i with small scratch on the side) - those are not the big worry
1 Series - Water/Flood sold as Unrecorded Salvage
5 Series - Damaged up front and was labelled cat S on salvage auction but marker disappeared and it's HPI clear, plenty of airbags deployed

I will be reaching tomorrow to BMW for their comment.

Fun times :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This is just amazing/terrifying in equal proportions. I am sure you have gold there Arnie. I have spotted a number of suspicious approved used in the past - mileage very low but only in the last year. Now suggests something like stolen/recovered. Now that's fine if everyone knows about it and makes their choices accordingly. But it is NOT fine for dealers - especially premium priced ones - to fail to reveal or actively conceal the information.
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”