M140 new software update horrible drive

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

GVR76

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by GVR76 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

look at VW... sure there have been one or two bits in the media about some small emission scandal... I personally know people who hate their VW diesel after the "fix" and also know someone personally who has had a full refund on the car he owned because he wouldn't accept it

Yes an update that could benefit BMW from any (emission) scandal looming that they can prepare the cars no to suit them.
Yes any post-update Volkswagen has had a drop in BHP - increased fuel use - drop in Torque - Change in gears (read about it!)
So Yes BMW can ruin your car in an update to benefit them.

without any official clarification from BMW, it is becoming more conspiracy as they have confirmed: "the car will have changed!"

I don't feel I should lose a single of the cars original characteristics I paid 67k for to get a non requested or wanted update.

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I sort of agree with the above, if the software update is proving to change how the car drives and its not as good as when you originally purchased then surely you have a case? if the software takes away enjoyment from the vehicle and BMW are forcing it upon you then that isn't really right. Sure it might iron out some issues (they should be doing that anyway) but if they have reduced power , watered it down, or made it different to the car you originally purchased then perhaps the owners do have a valid point.

On balance all of this still isn't confirmed but I am seeing a lot of people say its changed the car but its still not clear as to what it is, that's my biggest issue, BMW release updates and don't feel we have a right to know what they are changing on OUR cars, nearly every other type of software update to any other product will openly tell you what has changed or improved, I don't like being in the unknown about what has been changed on MY car.

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

GVR76 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm
look at VW... sure there have been one or two bits in the media about some small emission scandal... I personally know people who hate their VW diesel after the "fix" and also know someone personally who has had a full refund on the car he owned because he wouldn't accept it

Yes an update that could benefit BMW from any (emission) scandal looming that they can prepare the cars no to suit them.
Yes any post-update Volkswagen has had a drop in BHP - increased fuel use - drop in Torque - Change in gears (read about it!)

without any official clarification from BMW, it is becoming more conspiracy as they have confirmed: "the car will have changed!"

I don't feel I should lose a single of the cars original characteristics I paid 67k for to get a non requested or wanted update.
£67k? How is the gold plated bodywork working for you :P

GVR76

Post by GVR76 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Quattrodave wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm
GVR76 wrote:

£67k? How is the gold plated bodywork working for you :P
Euro's.... :( you do get a jar of vaseline to go with it :shock:

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm

GVR76 wrote:

BMW are smart enough to know that won't work. There will ALWAYS be cars that won't get updated by them. Plus you can (warranty terms and conditions aside) request that no updates be performed when it goes to your local dealer. So no matter what they do, legacy software will be out there telling the tails of any "scandals".

Either way it doesn't matter what I say, clearly your tin foil hat will always remain on. :roll:

I had mine updated. It drives much better than it did before. I believe like someone else said, that your problem lies elsewhere.

Did you by chance have a courtesy car or use of another car while yours was originally in having it's software updated?
M140i: Man., 3 door, EB, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive LED w/ HB assist, Priv. Glass, Heated Seats, Driver Comfort pack, Media Pro, Folding mirrors

Please help the Mods by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

GVR76

Post by GVR76 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Lambster wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm
GVR76 wrote:

BMW are smart enough to know that won't work. There will ALWAYS be cars that won't get updated by them. Plus you can (warranty terms and conditions aside) request that no updates be performed when it goes to your local dealer. So no matter what they do, legacy software will be out there telling the tails of any "scandals".

Either way it doesn't matter what I say, clearly your tin foil hat will always remain on. :roll:

I had mine updated. It drives much better than it did before. I believe like someone else said, that your problem lies elsewhere.

Did you by chance have a courtesy car or use of another car while yours was originally in having it's software updated?
Sorry didn’t think a forum was a place for mine is better than yours.

But the update which in my opinion means it is being taken seriously

The facts
the garage has confirmed the car does not drive as before. Nor sound the same. Nor as punchy etc etc etc see previous 20 pages
The garage has had the car in 5 times for a period of nearly 6 working weeks to find the issue. And is going back next week
The garage is going to replace the full adaptive suspension as “the software” (current version) is in relation to it be broken
The garage has shipped in a identical m140i on a trailer from BMW HQ, pre update to have a like for like comparison and run the cars for testing.
I am the first and only official registered complaints with BMW in holland who is taking this up to HQ. not a single official case has been reported through the official channels in Europe.

If more people would take it further to BMW HQ there might working on a solution instead of forums with dozens of similar cases in holland English and German forums.

So will keep my tin foil hat on for a while till BMW come with a report and I have a second m140 on my drive to run test and have an exact comparison to then decide if I am crazy or not.

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 pm

You may not be crazy but there is a chance that something went wrong that they are struggling to fix. As discussed many of us and even as you say you are the first reported case in Europe (I wonder if maybe the world!) so it’s obviously a rare case. We are only trying to help as I’m sure BMW are by lending you another M140i
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:42 am

GVR76 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm
Lambster wrote:
GVR76 wrote:

The facts
the garage has confirmed the car does not drive as before. Nor sound the same. Nor as punchy etc etc etc see previous 20 pages
The garage has had the car in 5 times for a period of nearly 6 working weeks to find the issue. And is going back next week
The garage is going to replace the full adaptive suspension as “the software” (current version) is in relation to it be broken
The garage has shipped in a identical m140i on a trailer from BMW HQ, pre update to have a like for like comparison and run the cars for testing.
I am the first and only official registered complaints with BMW in holland who is taking this up to HQ. not a single official case has been reported through the official channels in Europe.

If more people would take it further to BMW HQ there might working on a solution instead of forums with dozens of similar cases in holland English and German forums.

So will keep my tin foil hat on for a while till BMW come with a report and I have a second m140 on my drive to run test and have an exact comparison to then decide if I am crazy or not.
I don’t question the issues with your car at any point. I’m questioning your “BMW did this on purpose for their benefit” attitude. It makes no sense at all.

Your issues with the car is likely;
1. Placebo - but if the garage confirmed it drives differently then likely not.
2. An issue with the software flashing process
3. A mechanical or other fault that just happened to show up around the same time.

What I can guarantee is that it’s not BMW trying to “fix” some potential emissions scandal nor any kind of conspiracy.
M140i: Man., 3 door, EB, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive LED w/ HB assist, Priv. Glass, Heated Seats, Driver Comfort pack, Media Pro, Folding mirrors

GVR76

Post by GVR76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 am

Lambster wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:42 am
GVR76 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm
Lambster wrote:

The facts

I don’t question the issues with your car at any point. I’m questioning your “BMW did this on purpose for their benefit” attitude. It makes no sense at all.

Your issues with the car is likely;
1. Placebo - but if the garage confirmed it drives differently then likely not.
2. An issue with the software flashing process
3. A mechanical or other fault that just happened to show up around the same time.

What I can guarantee is that it’s not BMW trying to “fix” some potential emissions scandal nor any kind of conspiracy.
Interesting, I will ask them to consider a re-flash (which they have done once or possibly twice already as lost all my settings two times) but now do supervised to keep an eye if any errors occur during the proces.

as the car was/is stock it be interesting if a mechanical issue could be linked to the update...

could the hardware of a pre-ppf respond differently to the post-ppf with the update... ? as post ppf drivers seem to have little to now complaints on the different forums... tbh I find most people are 2017 or early 2018 production...

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 am

Mine was a late 2017 build, no issues.
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:22 am

GVR76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 am
Interesting, I will ask them to consider a re-flash (which they have done once or possibly twice already as lost all my settings two times) but now do supervised to keep an eye if any errors occur during the proces.

as the car was/is stock it be interesting if a mechanical issue could be linked to the update...

could the hardware of a pre-ppf respond differently to the post-ppf with the update... ? as post ppf drivers seem to have little to now complaints on the different forums... tbh I find most people are 2017 or early 2018 production...
If there were errors then I'm sure they would have picked it up the first time round. They may be able to get some additional logging while flashing though so worth a shot.
It's kinda like installing Windows on a PC. Most the time it's fine, but sometimes for no apparent reason it will :censored: itself. Other times it can expose problematic hardware such as a dodgy sector on a hard drive. Although I don't do vehicle flashing and software, the concept is generally the same when flashing or updating software/firmware.

I think a lot of the complaints are from a previous version of the update where BMW did change a load of stuff and people didn't like it but I was under the impression that a newer version was released and is generally fine. However, no matter how solid your software is they'll always be that edge case bug that rears its head for no obvious reason.

Just keep on with pushing them for investigations and a solution until you're happy again, but don't go the conspiracy route as like I said it makes no sense and will likely have BMW rolling their eyes and being even more dismissive than they generally are already. We can understand your anger at the situation though.

ClaretFozzy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ClaretFozzy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am

I wouldn’t trust BMW as far as I could throw throw them with regard to fudging updates to suit their agenda. It’s not as if they don’t have form for it previously - N54 throttle response lag, anyone? Even Apple with their iPhone battery ‘fix’.

A few years ago Scania rolled out a software update on their ECUs to stop the engine malfunction warning coming on when the variable geometry turbos were knackered. Funnily enough when the trucks were out of warranty the warnings came back on.

They’re all at it.
2016 F21 /// M135i - Estoril Blue, Coral Red, 8AT, Chrome Line, Driver Comfort Pack, Sun Protection Glass, Heated Seats, Harman Kardon

2016 F22 /// M235i - Mineral White, Coral Red, 8AT, Shadow Line, Sun Protection Glass, Heated Seats

racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by racey1979 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am

Really hope you get this sorted...must be so frustrating. Mine is booked in Monday for the update and I have raised concerns so the service manager is going to go through what is being updated, will report back the results. Reading various FB groups most reports on the update are positive though. I will also take the opportunity to ask how they Hell they managed to melt my girlfriends passenger side mat on her 335d when it went in for a safety recall recently....but that's another story :roll:
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

StuM140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by StuM140i » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:24 pm

My March 2018 m140i is in today. Not too concerned and will report back. Also fixing my tpms as that’s give up.

On the plus they gave me this 340i with 10 miles on to play with. A lot less raw than the m140i and a tad dull

GVR76

Post by GVR76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm

StuM140i wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:24 pm
My March 2018 m140i is in today. Not too concerned and will report back. Also fixing my tpms as that’s give up.

On the plus they gave me this 340i with 10 miles on to play with. A lot less raw than the m140i and a tad dull

Lets hope not what your car Will come back like.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”