M140 new software update horrible drive

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by shifty_dave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am

Does anyone know if a software update is likely to be applied to the gearbox on the Mx35i, and not just the Mx40i?
16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / **SPAM** Glass / Heated Seats

SmudgeM140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by SmudgeM140i » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Mine was updated on Friday with a 30k service too. Not sure how much of what I've noticed is down to the service.

Seems better in lower gears. Have noticed the delay in pulling away, which could be a pain, has gone (for now). Torque feels stronger in first and second, too.

Also noticed what seems like a change in the HK. I think they've turned down the middle speaker as the sound feels far less crowded now. I also think the fake sound has been turned down. There's also a new BMW app appeared, which currently holds no data. Overall though, I'm one of the happy ones.

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by markm240i » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 pm

My car was updated from F020-17-11-540 to F020-18-11-531 on Thursday due to having a scratched instrument binacle replaced under warranty.

After all the pros/cons debated here I went the long way home and gave it an Italian tune up. I do think the manual shitfs in sport mode are smoother but I don't mind that as I always felt the jerky shift a little contrived rather than a noticeably faster shift. The only other thing I noticed when adding my mobile again with the engine running was it seemed to idle a little lower, almost to the point it felt like it wasn't far off stalling. I couldn't really add much about pops/bangs as I wasn't deliberately trying to provoke them with lifting off or playing with the throttle for effect.

Tine will tell, but so far so good....
Current - F21 M140i Auto, MPerf LSD, MPE, B12 Pro kit

Thetroublemaker
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Thetroublemaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 pm

SmudgeM140i wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm
Mine was updated on Friday with a 30k service too. Not sure how much of what I've noticed is down to the service.

Seems better in lower gears. Have noticed the delay in pulling away, which could be a pain, has gone (for now). Torque feels stronger in first and second, too.

Also noticed what seems like a change in the HK. I think they've turned down the middle speaker as the sound feels far less crowded now. I also think the fake sound has been turned down. There's also a new BMW app appeared, which currently holds no data. Overall though, I'm one of the happy ones.
I too noticed the change in the HK audio :)

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Manc M135i » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 pm

I called my dealer a few weeks back to enquire if mine was listed as needing an update... I was told it wasn’t.

I’m Nov 2017 delivery, are they just working their way through them in blocks or are some of us just not going to have it?

User avatar
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by racey1979 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 am

Does anyone know if this update will delete Apple Carplay if it has been put on by a 3rd party and not from factory ??? Tia
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

User avatar
GVR76
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by GVR76 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm

racey1979 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 am
Does anyone know if this update will delete Apple Carplay if it has been put on by a 3rd party and not from factory ??? Tia
If I am not mistaken you loose all settings ...

I used Carly to switch of the fake stupid noise and some other bits and had to re-program every time it has been update

Sinbord1981
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Sinbord1981 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Yes you will loose any codings. I reverted mine back apart from one setting before it went in but that was cleared out by the software update when it did go in to BMW for the recall recently.

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Manc M135i » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Manc M135i wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 pm
I called my dealer a few weeks back to enquire if mine was listed as needing an update... I was told it wasn’t.

I’m Nov 2017 delivery, are they just working their way through them in blocks or are some of us just not going to have it?

Anyone?

User avatar
GVR76
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by GVR76 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Manc M135i wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm
Manc M135i wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 pm
I called my dealer a few weeks back to enquire if mine was listed as needing an update... I was told it wasn’t.

I’m Nov 2017 delivery, are they just working their way through them in blocks or are some of us just not going to have it?

Anyone?
sorry... not sure... mine was done for an adaptive suspension issue which made the suspension issue worse... (now being replaced)

User avatar
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by racey1979 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Just dropped mine off for the update, sat down with the service manager and I might as well have talked to the table top. I asked for some details about the update and was given a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders.....”it’s a DME update, no idea what it’s for”.... wish I’d have walked out now. Every time I go to the dealer I leave with a bitter taste in my mouth. It’s also in due to the rear passenger side HK speaker distorting......I’d bet a score that the response is going to be “we can’t find anything wrong with it”.....if it is then I’m going to cause a scene.
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

Ali_Z4C
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:57 pm
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Ali_Z4C » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

racey1979 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 am
Does anyone know if this update will delete Apple Carplay if it has been put on by a 3rd party and not from factory ??? Tia
You need to remove it before you get the update otherwise I have been told it can balls up your OEM Satnav. Depend who you got to install it and if they gave you the necessary files to remove. @Wibbles from BR Diagnostics and Retrofits (see Sponsors section) will be able to advise.....

User avatar
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by racey1979 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Well I have had a decent drive today after the software update and apart from my nav not working, which Wibbles is helping me with (thank you) the car drives exactly like it did before. I honestly cannot tell any noticeable difference, still goes like a stabbed rat, still pops/bangs and the AT8 gearbox behaviour seems pretty much the same.
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

Doxster
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by Doxster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

Not sure if I've had 'the' update but mine went in for the dreaded Teflon tape fix for squeaking seals (100% fix btw - sounded like an old wooden boat before, I digress....) and I was informed by the service assistant that a DME update was required.

Said assistant had no ruddy clue what the update did or what was involved, neither did three of her colleagues. Wonderful main dealer service. I protested but was told it was a safety issue.

I rolled and let them do it and thankfully it did nothing detrimental to the drive at all. In fact I think the pop and burbles on the overrun are actually marginally louder! (2018, MPE, non PPF)

The only downside is my phone connectivity has been affected - Bluetooth calls etc work fine but apps like Spotify and Audible no longer populate the menus or stream. Have tried updates, reloading of apps etc - all to no avail.

BMWs solution is please bring it back to us sir - which is a massive ball ache. Anyone else had similar issues?

User avatar
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: M140 new software update horrible drive

Post by racey1979 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 am

Doxster wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am
Not sure if I've had 'the' update but mine went in for the dreaded Teflon tape fix for squeaking seals (100% fix btw - sounded like an old wooden boat before, I digress....) and I was informed by the service assistant that a DME update was required.

Said assistant had no ruddy clue what the update did or what was involved, neither did three of her colleagues. Wonderful main dealer service. I protested but was told it was a safety issue.

I rolled and let them do it and thankfully it did nothing detrimental to the drive at all. In fact I think the pop and burbles on the overrun are actually marginally louder! (2018, MPE, non PPF)

The only downside is my phone connectivity has been affected - Bluetooth calls etc work fine but apps like Spotify and Audible no longer populate the menus or stream. Have tried updates, reloading of apps etc - all to no avail.

BMWs solution is please bring it back to us sir - which is a massive ball ache. Anyone else had similar issues?
I had the same response from the service manager when I asked about what the update was for.....just a blank stare and dismissive shrug of the shoulders....it was clear he was irritated by the fact I was asking him questions. “It’s a DME update, that’s all”.....yeah, but it’s not being updated for the sheer fun of it, there’s a reason. “ I’ve no idea mate”......I just hate going to the dealers now, I don’t expect a red carpet and a lap dance while I wait....just good honest service and to leave without sky high blood pressure and the feeling that I’ve just been fed a load of bullshit.....which is seemingly every time.

“The car won’t start, there’s a huge puddle of oil underneath and there’s smoke bellowing from under the bonnet”.......”Yeah we’ve had a look and BMW have sent a bulletin about it ......and they say it’s just a characteristic, so unfortunately it is what it is”

A bit OTT perhaps but that pretty much sums up every visit to the dealer I have had.
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”