Dealer not releasing new M140i due to 'rear light' recall

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

ChrisM135i

Dealer not releasing new M140i due to 'rear light' recall

Post by ChrisM135i » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi all,

I was due to pick up my new M140i on Saturday, however much to my disappointment I got a call from the dealership a day before saying that BMW have put a hold on it. The hold includes all other 1 series as well as X2's (and maybe another model, I don't recall) due to a potential recall to do with the rear lights.

I've spoken to the general sales manager as well as the service department and they're saying they have no other info, as they have no other information from BMW.

I have seen someone in the same situation on the Facebook owners' group saying that it may be due to an issue with the brake lights. Someone else has said this has come direct from BMW Germany.

Does anyone have any further info? The last thing the dealer mentioned to me is that it could be a few days or a few weeks! :shock: Although they also said that the hold has been released on X2's.

stevesurrey
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Dealer not releasing new M140i due to 'rear light' recall

Post by stevesurrey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Similar thread at the weekend. No more info tho. https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=117342
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 pm

I was told this today, due to pick mine up tomorrow. Absolute pain in the arse, tbf they're giving me a loaner until its fixed as I said I'm not putting miles on my car I'm sending back. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:55 am

Annoying, but if they released the car with faulty brake lights people would be straight on here saying how could BMW allow cars with potentially dangerous defects go on the road. They're doing the right thing, but it's admittedly a pain in your situation.

Getting a loan car is a good call though - I'd definitely push for that as an interim if they haven't offered.
2017 M140i

SunnyJ

Post by SunnyJ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm

I collected my new M140i last Saturday from TRL at Berry Heathrow and there was no problem in releasing it to me.

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Still no updates, tried BMW twitter and they've no info either. Very frustrating, especially when the finance paperwork lands on your mat this morning!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:27 pm

SunnyJ wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm
I collected my new M140i last Saturday from TRL at Berry Heathrow and there was no problem in releasing it to me.
Hi Sunny. Can you bring your M140 back please - only joking.

The recall happened at a certain point so I think there are some cars out there without any issue, there may be some cars out there that will need
a recall notice later on, and then there are the cars that are at the port of entry that BMW have held back and will not release until the update is applied. As to what the actual work is I am afraid dealers are not informed at this stage. There are a lot of cars affected, so the updated may take some time to wash through...
"I don't work in the showroom so please always email me TRLdeals@outlook.com
Current Company Wagons - BMW G20 330i M Sport, BMW X2 M35i and M2 Competition… Current Personal Car; Alpine A110 Pure

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:29 pm

i rang my dealer as my car has been waiting for march 1st. He didnt know of any issues with 1 series yet, and will only know when they start the PDI process. So for me, i wont find out for another 2 weeks.

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm

What's the PDI process? If you don't mind me asking who's your dealer, mines been registered etc...by Stratstone but been told today they've still had no update from BMW. So I'm a bit peeved that I'm paying for a car I can't drive.

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Pineapple Chunx wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm
What's the PDI process? If you don't mind me asking who's your dealer, mines been registered etc...by Stratstone but been told today they've still had no update from BMW. So I'm a bit peeved that I'm paying for a car I can't drive.

My dealer is westerly bridgwater. PDI is the inspection all cars have when they get registered. They take the stickers off, make sure all the software is up to date, add the sat nav, take the chocks out the suspension, check this, register that, you know the full works. at the moment my car is in storage since i ordered in November and wanted it in march. Unless you have signed the paperwork which says you are now the registered keeper etc and all finance documents, unless your paying cash, then technically its still their car .. bummer.. but thats life. just roll with the punches

jinglezdj

Post by jinglezdj » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am

I spoke to my dealer yesterday (Cotswold) and asked if my car was due this recall, I collected mine on the 9th Jan this year and didn't have any issues regarding collection. Anyway turns out after they checked on the system, mine is due this recall so they have ordered the required parts and will call me to book it in once ready. They stated it was to do with a seal on the rear light unit.

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:57 am

Nice to know some detail. The lack of information is what's annoying me more than anything. Kind of tainting the process in all honesty, hopefully once it finally arrives it makes up for it.

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Guys, was told this on Friday.

"We have just had information for the release of the F48 X1 models. This information is normally similar for both models. We are expecting the information from BMW ASAP"

Also, I've lodged a complaint with BMW as I don't think they should be expecting people to be paying for a car that they can't drive, they've acknowledged they're in the wrong so we'll see what happens.

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 pm

So the x1 is having the same issues, but BMW are now releasing them?

Seen someone on Facebook take delivery of their M140i today (Rochdale BMW).

Thankfully my car is a PCP one so I shouldn’t start paying for it until I take delivery. (Or so I’m told!)

Pineapple Chunx

Post by Pineapple Chunx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 pm

I've emailed Stratstone and said it's becoming a joke now tbh. My car is sat in Leeds whilst other people are pick theirs up.

Mines also a PCP but all the paper work dropped thru the door stating my first payment is on xx of March... I know its very much first world problems but its really taken the shine off picking up a new car. Hey ho.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”