M140i SE exhaust tip question

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
TheHoofmeister
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by TheHoofmeister » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi all,

My car has just reached 1500 miles and every day I’ve owned this car has been a pleasure. I know they have their ‘special features’ as I like to refer to them but I think this is what gives it personality.

My car is looked after, some would say too much, but I was devastated to find when washing it recently the black exhaust tips have white dots that have appeared in the finish.

After reading up I find this is a known issues. Now I can’t say I’m impressed about this but I guess that’s where BMW saved money making these cars.

My question is on the BMW shop, my car vin shows M Performance tailpipe trims are available in chrome or carbon. Now the carbon ones are £500 which is quite frankly mad, but the chrome ones are more reasonable. Does anyone have these fitted, and if so how shiny are they (don’t really want shiny chrome)? Also is there a risk of these going the same way as the OE ones??

Also, not really interested in any aftermarket ones before anyone suggests some.

Hope someone can advise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davws
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 am

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by Davws » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 pm

I have these on my M240i. The car is 6 months old so not yet old enough to affect the finish, but yes they are shiny and that's without paying them any special attention when cleaning. They are nicely engraved with M performance and on my very (very) black car provide a welcome highlight. But if you dont want shiny then probably not for you.

TheHoofmeister
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by TheHoofmeister » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Davws wrote:I have these on my M240i. The car is 6 months old so not yet old enough to affect the finish, but yes they are shiny and that's without paying them any special attention when cleaning. They are nicely engraved with M performance and on my very (very) black car provide a welcome highlight. But if you dont want shiny then probably not for you.
Umm okay, appreciate the response. Would appreciate any pics you can provide of them. In fairness they would probably stand out much more on a black car than my SO car so interested to see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by markm240i » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:58 pm

TheHoofmeister wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm
Hi all,

My car has just reached 1500 miles and every day I’ve owned this car has been a pleasure. I know they have their ‘special features’ as I like to refer to them but I think this is what gives it personality.

My car is looked after, some would say too much, but I was devastated to find when washing it recently the black exhaust tips have white dots that have appeared in the finish.

After reading up I find this is a known issues. Now I can’t say I’m impressed about this but I guess that’s where BMW saved money making these cars.

My question is on the BMW shop, my car vin shows M Performance tailpipe trims are available in chrome or carbon. Now the carbon ones are £500 which is quite frankly mad, but the chrome ones are more reasonable. Does anyone have these fitted, and if so how shiny are they (don’t really want shiny chrome)? Also is there a risk of these going the same way as the OE ones??

Also, not really interested in any aftermarket ones before anyone suggests some.

Hope someone can advise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the M Performance chrome and carbon tips were only for the MPE exhaust, but might be mistaken. Either way ask forum sponsor Cotswold BMW and if you supply your vehicles VIN or registration they will give you better prices and answer any questions about any OEM options available.

viewforum.php?f=49

Or just go back to BMW and make a warranty claim for the standard ones, but they all seem to corrode with winter salt.
Current - F21 M140i Auto, MPerf LSD, MPE, B12 Pro kit

Davws
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 am

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by Davws » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:04 pm

I tried to upload some pics for you but no success I'm afraid, not too savvy on this 'puter stuff. There are plenty of pics online however. My car is not an M Performance Edition but it does have a number of elements: splitter, diffuser, carbon fibre spoiler, and side blades. I initially thought it had the M Performance exhaust but it is quite quiet and there is no M Performance logo on the back box so I assume they are tips. There are no obvious clamps or clips attaching the tips so it's all very neat. However to repeat, after giving them a wipe over this morning, the are chrome and shiny. Hope this helps.

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm
Location: South West Wales

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by Goon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Have them powder coated and a good few coats then baked on.

Aldo1261
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by Aldo1261 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm

If you check out the latest post on the forum sponsors section for Cotswold, it mentions 435i tips coming in chrome or alluminium...which fit m135i/m235i, sure they would fit m140i/m240i and aluminium ones aren’t shiny... so might sort you out.
Surely worth enquiring??

i531m
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by i531m » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm

I had mine replaced under warranty

TheHoofmeister
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by TheHoofmeister » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 am

Aldo1261 wrote:If you check out the latest post on the forum sponsors section for Cotswold, it mentions 435i tips coming in chrome or alluminium...which fit m135i/m235i, sure they would fit m140i/m240i and aluminium ones aren’t shiny... so might sort you out.
Surely worth enquiring??
Thanks. Will take a look at these too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Philiper
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: M140i SE exhaust tip question

Post by Philiper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 pm

I am on my 3rd set of tips, changed under warranty!
Current: F21 M135i LCI Mineral Grey and few options, E86 Z4
Previous: F30 320i XDrive, E85 2.5i, E21 323i

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”