Went for MPS4

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

i531m
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Went for MPS4

Post by i531m » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Think im going ps4 next time as there a little cheaper than the supersports might got 245/35/18 square on a 8x18 rim

MrArthur
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MrArthur » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I bought Yokohama ad08r tires, 235/245
Alpine White BMW M140i 5-door, MPE with carbon tips and front oval muffler delete, PiperCross filter, BlueSpark, Dragy GPS, ZF 8-speed, adaptive, HK, and mutch mutch more, witout moonroof

BigSwede
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BigSwede » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Quick question - has anyone had a mix of MPSS on the front axle and PS4 on the rear? I guess the tears wear out first so it would be inevitable to end up with this config I less the fronts as pretty low anyway, warranting a change of all four at the same time anyway. Got a few miles left in mine yet before I’ll need to change the tyres on the car that it came from as new. Thanks.
I've got half worn MPSS on the front and 2k old PS4 on the rear. Shoulders on the MPSS are getting low but they are still doing a good job. I'm tempted to put front and rear MPSS on for the summer when I've ripped through the PS4's.

dances
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dances » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Well it looks like from the general consensus I made the right choice on PS4. Got to wait until next Sunday for fitting though. Looking forward to 'really' testing them 8)
F21 M135i manual AW
Gone (but loved it): Metallic Black 2011 E82 120D M Sport Full Leather

Sinbord1981

Post by Sinbord1981 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 pm

BigSwede wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm
I've got half worn MPSS on the front and 2k old PS4 on the rear. Shoulders on the MPSS are getting low but they are still doing a good job. I'm tempted to put front and rear MPSS on for the summer when I've ripped through the PS4's.
Did you notice any difference in the handling with a mixed setup? I guess better drive in poorer conditions with the PS4 at the back but the need for a bit more care going in to turns with the MPSS on the front.

BigSwede
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BigSwede » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 pm
BigSwede wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm
Did you notice any difference in the handling with a mixed setup? I guess better drive in poorer conditions with the PS4 at the back but the need for a bit more care going in to turns with the MPSS on the front.
The mixed set up is fine. I push the car pretty hard on country roads and I always find with this like other BMW's I've had that when you just start to feel a hint of understeer the rear of the car comes into play. I'd deffo go for the higher load rating on the fronts next time to prolong the outer edges.

The PS4's on the rear certainly offer a bit more grip in very cold and damp conditions so a little improved traction is always welcome at the time of year. I'd also say that the MPSS feel more stable on the m/way than the PS4.

I may even try a more extreme summer/track biased tyre when all 4 are due for change.

Hawaii-Five-O
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Hawaii-Five-O » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Having driven the M140 through two winters now, I feel strongly that the MPSS tyres simply aren't suited to our changeable cooler climes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the MPSS. For example last summer during the prolonged hot spell the MPSS came into their own. Utterly magnificent. You could rinse every ounce out of the engine and the warm, sticky MPSS gripped and gave complete confidence. Roll on six months and in cold, damp, wet conditions they are not very suitable at all - and I'm getting really fed up with them. You just can't get the power down which frustrates. That is my opinion. When I change I'll be moving to MPS4 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

OP: Keep letting us know how they are performing :thumbs:
F20 M140i ZF8 EB // Drexler MP LSD // Underbody Brace

Peter45133

Post by Peter45133 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 am

Having just changed from MPSS to MPS4 I would say there is definitely more wet and cold weather grip. Having had them for about a week, I haven’t seen the traction light on once yet. There was still about 3mm of tread on the old tyres, but the final straw for me was when the back end ‘snatched’ at 70mph under steady acceleration. The road was dry but temperature about 1deg. The new tyres even managed to drive an ungritted B road during a blizzard without any drama. They are also a bit quieter than the MPSS, and there is none of the tramlining noise when undertaking parking manoeuvres. On the negative side, there seems a very slight loss of steering feel ( not that there was much anyway), and the straight line stability isn’t quite as good. Both very slight though and you soon become used to it.

Spoof
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Spoof » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 am

I think the PS4 are far superior to the MPSS.

I'm back on super sports at the moment and thoroughly regretting reverting. Even in the dry there isnt a perceivable difference in grip to me, but in the wet, damp and cold a car shod with PS4 would leave one on MPSS struggling for grip.
The PS4 reduces tramlining for me, the rear end squirm and road noise. I also use a higher load index PS4 on the front, so steering turn in actually feels marginally improved.

I can't wait for these PSS to be toast so I can get back on the PS4.

Class2ldn
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Class2ldn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 am

What load rating is advised for the ps4?
Need to change mine soon
Mineral Grey M140, Auto, Coral, Heated seats/wheel, Sun protection, Pro nav, HK, Comfort package, Lumbar, Front/Rear sensors, Speed limit display.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am

92 all round.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shifty_dave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Sinbord1981 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Quick question - has anyone had a mix of MPSS on the front axle and PS4 on the rear? I guess the tears wear out first so it would be inevitable to end up with this config I less the fronts as pretty low anyway, warranting a change of all four at the same time anyway. Got a few miles left in mine yet before I’ll need to change the tyres on the car that it came from as new. Thanks.
I've got this mix at the moment and there are a couple of key things I've noticed:

1) The 225 width MPSS on the front has similar size drainage channels as the 245 MPS4 on the rear, so the balance in the wet is reasonably consistent (though I'd expect MPS4 at the front to be even better). The 245 width MPSS has really narrow channels and always struggled in the wet.

2) The difference in compound is noticeable in low temperatures, i.e. around freezing. Over the winter I've felt confident with the rears and have been able to put power down easily, or if there has been a loss of traction it's been easily manageable. The MPSS on the front has had a tendency to push on into understeer a bit, even on dry roads.
16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / **SPAM** Glass / Heated Seats

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm

The PS4 are awesome tyres. :)

I'd like to tell you that parenting gets easier but that would be untrue!! ;)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

MLite

Post by MLite » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Not easy on the same car but has anybody been able assess these tyres back to back with similar tread depth? Surely even an average new tyre is going to grip reasonably well, especially in the wet where depth is a huge factor, compared to a worn MPSS. You get the slightly soft response from a full height set of tread blocks but that quickly becomes a distant memory once you have a few miles on. Really difficult to get an objective view..
M140, bluespark and jb+ (still not decided which to keep)

dances
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dances » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:47 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:24 pm
The PS4 are awesome tyres. :)

I'd like to tell you that parenting gets easier but that would be untrue!! ;)
Cheers (on both points 8) )

For the benefit of some of the questions raised i have ordered the 92 Y rating all round which was the highest they seemed to offer
F21 M135i manual AW
Gone (but loved it): Metallic Black 2011 E82 120D M Sport Full Leather

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”