Local Tyre Fitter Error

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

elliot174

Local Tyre Fitter Error

Post by elliot174 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a M240i and within days I had a unrepairable puncture (nail in side wall).

Couple weeks later (this weekend) I took all my alloys off to give them a deep clean and a protection using Gyeon Rim. I have since noticed for whatever reason the tyre fitter used at least 10 balancing weights rather than the 3 or 4 BMW ones. The BM ones are chunkier whereas it looks like the tyre fitter only had small weight ones so that looks a mess! Is that my ocd?

Then to totally bugger it up the tyre place has put a MSP4 on instead of the current MPSS!

Should I be going back or is the effect minimal and it’s myself been OCD.

Cheers in advance!

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Local Tyre Fitter Error

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 pm

The weights are a non-issue, if they fitted 10 it's because they needed to fit 10. You can pay to have it re-balanced by BMW if you want, check which weights they have in stock or you could end up worse off.

The wrong tyre is pretty poor, does it say PS4 on the receipt? Or MPSS?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

elliot174

Post by elliot174 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm

I know they obviously fitted 10 for a reason but surely they could of fitted 2 or 3 heavier ones rather than plaster my wheel in small ones! Just seemed odd!

Wasn’t given any paperwork as it’s all on account through business. I’d agree I can’t really expect them to change the tyre as this is partially my fault for not checking.

The main question is would this cause any issues having separate tyres? Reading all the comments around the two they seem to be slightly better / worse than each other in the different season

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 pm

It's not ideal, as they'll behave slightly differently as you say. I prefer to have the same tyre on all 4 wheels for predictability.

Depends how you drive though, they shouldn't spit you into a hedge if you're pootling around normally.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

elliot174

Post by elliot174 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Means the puncture happened within days I can’t comment on whether there has been a difference in how the rear reacts with the different tyres.

I agree on I can’t blame the tyres if I end up in a hedge haha!

I think I’m going to see the tyre fitters and see if there’ll either do a 50/50 deal on a MPSS or maybe I’ll buy one then keep the MPS4 until I need a change over on fronts or backs and hopefully change in pairs or a full 4.

shadowman140

Post by shadowman140 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:15 pm

You definitely at least need to have the same tyres on the same axle...not having can effect your insurance in the event of a prang...it's not as though the mpss or mps4 work the same in wet/greasy/conditions and could could cause you an issue.

Tim_C
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tim_C » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

There's no legal requirement to have matching brands on each axle. It's only the size that's a legal necessity.

It's less than ideal having mismatched tread patterns/rubber compounds but given both are high performance tyres and the same brand the difference will be marginal. Presumably the speed and weight ratings of he MPS4 are on a par with the original 92Y MPSS?

Caveat - some AWD systems can go haywire if tyres of differing brands or even amounts of wear are used.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”