Gear needed for changing wheels

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

RestUnknown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Gear needed for changing wheels

Post by RestUnknown » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm

[youtube][/youtube]In the past I always went to a local garage to switch between winter/summer tires. But I’m looking to do it myself, mainly because of the weather.

What is the best price/quality stuff I can buy? Hydraulic jack? Manual or pneumatic torque wrench? Things I need to pay attention too?
As for people who do it themselves, the brand and specific type of tool is much appreciated as there are so many options out there.

Thanks!
Last edited by RestUnknown on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Gear needed for changing tires

Post by Kerr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm

You mean changing the entire wheel and not actually changing tyres?

RestUnknown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RestUnknown » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Aah yes of course, was not clear. I have two sets of wheels, so changing between them.

martin10chk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by martin10chk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 pm

I guess you mean changing wheels rather than tyres -- i.e. you have a set of winter wheels. You are best off with a good trolley jack with the right jacking puck to fit the BMW jacking points. Then some wheel chocks for safety. Any wheel nut wrench will do the job - nothing fancy. To do a proper job a torque wrench is good for getting the wheel nuts to correct torque.

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Gear needed for changing wheels

Post by McTrucky » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 pm

You'll get a half decent low profile trolley jack for about £30 upwards. You do need a low profile one, unless you make some 3 inch ramps out of wood planks to get the car up high enough to fit a regular trolley jack in. Then you need a puck as mentioned above. Cost about a fiver if you want to look like a pro, or make one yourself from wood.
Get a decent socket and brace. A cheap "spider" will have rounded nuts, skinned knuckles and a lot of swearing. A torque wrench is essential. Amazon has a suitable Draper for about £25. Don't use the torque wrench as a breaker bar, so you might want to think about one of them (another £10 on Amazon). You will also need a socket and a short extension. Get these the same size as the breaker bar and the torque wrench (0.5 inch). Total cost about £70 and will last forever..
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 pm

I use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-JACK-LIF ... %2FY3W0%3D and a breaker bar takes an hour to swap the four corners.
Current 2019 F22 M240i Sunset Orange black leather,Pro Nav, adaptive LEDs, Hk, Sunroof.
Gone 2015 F22 Melbourne Red 220D loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tom314 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 am

You'll probably find getting them off the first time might be difficult due to corrosion on the spigot ring (bit that sticks out into the centre of the wheel), I cleaned it off and put a smear of copper grease on it but don't put any on they mating face been the wheel and hub. (Some people will say it's fine but it's the friction on these two surfaces which are meant to stop the wheels moving on the hub and the bolts are there to pull the faces together)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

My advice is to invest in an alloy wheel socket, which have a soft plastic shroud around the outside to help prevent paint damage. Not too expensive, something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Wheel- ... 2720315181
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

I just added heat shrink to a new socked. As for new wheels being hard to remove when I took my summers off (car delivered 15 Nov took them off after the car was run in Mid Dec) there was a small bead of white/Yellowish grease on the spigot wheels came off a treat.
Current 2019 F22 M240i Sunset Orange black leather,Pro Nav, adaptive LEDs, Hk, Sunroof.
Gone 2015 F22 Melbourne Red 220D loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

As others I use a 2 tonne trolley jack, a piece of wood cut to size and a 1/2" socket set. What I would say though is to use a decent extension socket if possible. You lose a bit of torque but eliminates the risk of scratching alloys and/or bodywork. Sadly I learnt this when removing the rear wheel from my wifes car, when one of the bolts finally gave the end of the wrench was a little too close and scratched the wheel arch :(

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shifty_dave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am

One piece of advice - undo the locking wheel nut/bolt before the others. As they're all undone one by one it increases the force applied outward onto the last one, and given that the metal on locking wheel nuts tends to be a bit softer it can be easy to mash it up.
16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / **SPAM** Glass / Heated Seats

JonyTarvis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JonyTarvis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 pm

RestUnknown wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm
I’m looking to do it myself
Just a few months ago I purchased all the gear you are talking about for the exact same reason as you, I can now swap my winters & summers whenever I damn please. As well as carrying out the occasional re-torque which is always good practice. Not relying on some garage to fit you in a time slot what suits them and not you, or back-heeling the job to some apprentice to do just before his lunch break so he'll be rushing it. Do it yourself, then you know it's done right.

I spent endless hours trawling the internet (I was on sick leave and had nothing better to do), I'd honestly look no further than the two products below:

Torque wrench:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFTSG6

Low profile trolley jack:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... le-trolle/

*note: this low profile trolley jack from machine mart is the real party piece; it's low profile so forget the wooden planks previously mentioned, it comes with a breaker bar, and 4 different socket sizes 17, 19, 21 and 23mm.

So for a combined total of £69.02 you are good to go my friend.
Present: F32 430d / Past: E86 3.0si, E82 120d

TVC15
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:10 pm

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2- ... olley-jack

I bought one of these, cheap and good quality.
F21 Estoril Blue M135i Auto

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 pm

If you have a cordless drill get a 1/2 inch socket adaptor. I slacken all the bolts then undo them / do them up with the driver following up with the torque wrench. The BMW jack's take a 17mm socket too so can wind up / down with drill :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

RestUnknown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RestUnknown » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks all for the advice!

One more question as I was reading the manual for the car and I have never done this in my life, not even watched while a mechanic changed my wheels...

You have to apply the recommended 140 Nm only when the wheel is on the ground again? So just lock the nuts with a manual force, lower the wheel on the ground and then use the torque wrench?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”