M240i Selling/Changing Advice

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

gazw

M240i Selling/Changing Advice

Post by gazw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 pm

I am possibly looking to sell/change my M240i and am considering the best option to get maximum money for the car,

I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation and experience with selling such a new car private, to dealer etc!

June 2018 registered M240i Coupe, approx 4000 miles in as new condition.

Specification;

Sport Automatic Transmission, 719M Black Alloys, Black Dakota Leather, Metallic Paint (Sunset Orange), Harmon Kardon, Pro Media/Nav, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, PDC Front and Rear, Cruise Control , Aluminium/Gloss Black Interior Trim

M Performance Kit, front/rear diffuser, side skirts and foils, rear carbon spoiler, gloss black grilles, carbon mirror caps fitted at dealer,

Thanks in advance!

Rossco240

Re: M240i Selling/Changing Advice

Post by Rossco240 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 pm

I’m in exactly the same position as you. Decided over the last few days that I want to change due to it not being practical enough for me. Bought in November and it was registered in July 2018.

I see myself having to keep it for a while though as I’ll lose so much money that it doesn’t bare thinking about !

Called my local dealer today to see if they could give me a rough price on it in exchange for an m40 x3 but they want to test drive it in case somethings wrong with it , it’s done 3k miles and is like new ! Think they just want to get me in the showroom before giving me the bad news that they won’t give me buggar all in part ex !

Paid 35.5k for it , can’t see anyone buying it privately off me for anywhere near that :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tricky401
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Tricky401 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 am

Whenever chopping in this quickly you will always get your pants pulled right down

Best option is to try tootle or sell to a dealer but don’t expect to come out without a big hole in your wallet

Have either of you phoned up for a settlement figure and tried wbac for very worst case
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 am

There is no 'best option to get the maximum' for a car so new. A dealer will offer way below what you paid and a private sale will be difficult to achieve and you would still need to put it up for sale way below £35k you paid. Evans Halshaw, WBAC will give you a ballpark figure as to what to expect from a dealer trade. What are similar cars up for sale private on Auto trader, Pistonheads etc because between the trade value and private sales is where you would need to pitch your car to sell private. Don't expect anymore in real terms from BMW than Evans Halshaw as the magic salesman abacus will come out and make things look rosy!!!

And before someone says WBAC etc have ruined the part x market, I agree to a point but it is what it is and we are where we are and its only worth what someone will pay for it. The situation as it stands wont change.

You need to just bite the bullet and take the hit or keep hold of it, your pants will be coming down I am afraid either way.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:23 am

In both cases above, are they forced sales? i.e. you have to sell the car due to financial or family issues, or are you both just looking to change?

If just looking to change I think I would be hanging on to them a bit longer.

Rossco - what are you practicality issues?
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Creepy Coupe

Post by Creepy Coupe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am

I can recommend Tootle. I used it last October to sell a Mini. Had a couple of traders bidding against each other. ended up with £1000 more than I was asking.
M240i
Previous.M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E93 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 am

You're gonna need plenty of lube for your arse as previous comments suggest. I would use the Autotrader and What Car valuation services to get ball park figures. My son just sold his Audi A1 to Evans Halshaw. Best price and they didn't chip him for the alloys that needed a refurb :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

ccsb58
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ccsb58 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am

I bought a new Fiesta ST 2 years ago and sold it back to Ford after 7 months, obviously a big difference in value but shop around you might be surprised.

Looks lovely though I must say.

Rossco240

Post by Rossco240 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 pm

OneTwenty wrote:In both cases above, are they forced sales? i.e. you have to sell the car due to financial or family issues, or are you both just looking to change?

If just looking to change I think I would be hanging on to them a bit longer.

Rossco - what are you practicality issues?

It’s not a forced sale for me. I don’t dislike the car , I walked into the showroom and fell in love with it and had to have it and didn’t really stop to think about the practicality. I have a biggish dog who is fine in the front but it means anyone else coming out with us has to squeeze in the back. My job is buying and selling used items so the space in it isn’t great for that and I’ve also taken up golf since getting it and sticking a golf bag in the boot always means putting down the seats.

Ideally I want to go for the x3 m40 as that would solve all problems but as everyone has said ( and I already knew ) I’m going to get rinsed on the part ex value. Other option , which I think I’m going to have to take is to get a small van :(

If anyone is in the market for a mint m240i performance edition and want to save a few grand from the dealers ( cheapest in the country is currently £35k ) give me a shout !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pebbles8
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by pebbles8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Your car looks bloody stunning 😁😁

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Buy a cheap estate " hack" car for the dog and lugging things about, used market is full of older a4,volvo, merc c class etc. For the hit on the fabulous car value it makes sense.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

I agree with Goon. You are potentially going to lose a heck of a lot more than buying and running a van or an estate for the dog/moving duties if you sell the 240.

You need to find something like my E91, we've had it from 1,500 miles/almost new and it's done 88k miles with FBMWSH and is spot on for lugging/MTB duties and it's only worth £4k apparently. You could buy similar and keep the 240 and still be better off IMO.

And from my experience of 2.5 years in my 240 they get better and better - I love mine to bits and enjoy it more every day.

I get the practicality thing though, I use mine with wife and 2 kids, plus I'm into my bikes and MTB so it can be a pain sometimes but then I have the E91 plus I'm buying a T5 van soon as a camper base.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”