M135i vs M140i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

M135i vs M140i

Post by NISFAN »

No, not that M135i




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

User avatar
JB33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by JB33 »

For me, there little that would make me jump from a straight 6, especially this wonderful B58.

New hatches these days are feel very similar to me.
A45
Golf R
Leon
Focus ST
Now the M135

There’s nothing special anymore. Just 4 pot bangers that all make terrible noise. If I were to move it would likely be for a gen 2 Cayman, 370Z Nismo or M4
2017 BMW M140| saphire black on oyster
2016 Toyota GT86 | red
2008 Nissan 350z HR | black
2009 BMW e89 Z4 30i | black on coral
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo | WR blue
2004 Peugeot 206 GTI 180 | blue

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by Ezzra »

A man bun? :lol:
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 58033
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by marco_polo »

A modified M135ix vs a standard M140i?! What kind of biased test is that? Meh.

They should have at least reversed their experiment with a standard M135ix and a remapped M-Lite. That's a far more likely meeting on the roads currently.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

nastypoker
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by nastypoker »

Not sure who is more wrong.

BMW for naming the new car (F40) the M135i or people comparing it to the F2X M140i when they are totally different platforms aimed at different people.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 TS+LCA's - BBS CH-R's with 245f & 255r - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Powerflex sub bushes - Upgraded intercooler - MHD stage 1 + XHP stage 3 - Ceramic'd

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by 50pence »

nastypoker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am
Not sure who is more wrong.

BMW for naming the new car (F40) the M135i or people comparing it to the F2X M140i when they are totally different platforms aimed at different people.
Comparisons are relevant. Yes it's a different concept though the M135iX is the replacement for the M135i/M140i, and the M140i is only called that to differentiate it from the M135i.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

Benis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by Benis »

Interesting video. They had an M140i X-drive which we don't get here. The 0-200 slightly favoured the 135 (tuned) so it stands to reason the stock RWD 140 would spank it on a dry road.

User avatar
SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by SamM140 »

50pence wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:54 am
nastypoker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am
Not sure who is more wrong.

BMW for naming the new car (F40) the M135i or people comparing it to the F2X M140i when they are totally different platforms aimed at different people.
Comparisons are relevant. Yes it's a different concept though the M135iX is the replacement for the M135i/M140i, and the M140i is only called that to differentiate it from the M135i.

--
Exactly, I agree the comparisons are valid because the F40 replaces the F20. They’re aimed at the same buyer too; those that want to fastest 1 Series BMW make.

This time BMW have ditched their USP and followed the competition. I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.

The reason that I don’t think the stat about ole 1 series drivers caring / knowing which wheels are driven is a key is because given that they sell more 320d/520d’s from the ranges above. These are the go to company car for many / the new sales rep wagon of choice. Do you really think these guys care about which wheels are driven? I doubt it. It’s more about badge, cost etc. Which is why I think it was a cost cutting move especially with BMW talking about not replacing various low volume models (e.g. Z4).
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Image

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

nastypoker
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by nastypoker »

SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
Exactly, I agree the comparisons are valid because the F40 replaces the F20. They’re aimed at the same buyer too; those that want to fastest 1 Series BMW make.

This time BMW have ditched their USP and followed the competition. I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.

The reason that I don’t think the stat about ole 1 series drivers caring / knowing which wheels are driven is a key is because given that they sell more 320d/520d’s from the ranges above. These are the go to company car for many / the new sales rep wagon of choice. Do you really think these guys care about which wheels are driven? I doubt it. It’s more about badge, cost etc. Which is why I think it was a cost cutting move especially with BMW talking about not replacing various low volume models (e.g. Z4).
I certainly don't own an m135i because it is the fastest 1 series. I couldn't care less about it being a 1 series. What I want is a fast RWD car with a big engine. The badge makes little difference. I would be surprised in many F2x owners jumped in to an F40 UNLESS they really didn't appreciate the F2x for what it was.

I 100% agree this is a money based decision as most people will be fine driving a MINI with a BMW badge but the F2x was a bit special with its drive-train configuration.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 TS+LCA's - BBS CH-R's with 245f & 255r - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Powerflex sub bushes - Upgraded intercooler - MHD stage 1 + XHP stage 3 - Ceramic'd

User avatar
SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by SamM140 »

nastypoker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:39 am
SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
Exactly, I agree the comparisons are valid because the F40 replaces the F20. They’re aimed at the same buyer too; those that want to fastest 1 Series BMW make.

This time BMW have ditched their USP and followed the competition. I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.

The reason that I don’t think the stat about ole 1 series drivers caring / knowing which wheels are driven is a key is because given that they sell more 320d/520d’s from the ranges above. These are the go to company car for many / the new sales rep wagon of choice. Do you really think these guys care about which wheels are driven? I doubt it. It’s more about badge, cost etc. Which is why I think it was a cost cutting move especially with BMW talking about not replacing various low volume models (e.g. Z4).
I certainly don't own an m135i because it is the fastest 1 series. I couldn't care less about it being a 1 series. What I want is a fast RWD car with a big engine. The badge makes little difference. I would be surprised in many F2x owners jumped in to an F40 UNLESS they really didn't appreciate the F2x for what it was.

I 100% agree this is a money based decision as most people will be fine driving a MINI with a BMW badge but the F2x was a bit special with its drive-train configuration.
I’m the same; the engine in particular is the big draw for me. I’m a sucker for a BMW six and it’s more practical than a saloon (which I’ve previously had). I don’t care about badges either (I had a vRS for four years which loads of mates ripped the p*ss out of).

I’m also a sucker for other hatches with big engines even if they weren’t the last word in dynamics (R32, GTA, 130).
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Image

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 58033
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by marco_polo »

SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.
If the new one was cheaper than the old one, I'd actually cut it some slack. Or even if they were the same price price for that matter.

However, mine cost £25k after I'd added HK, Adaptive dampers, Metallic paint, Heated leather, full PDC, etc. The F40 costs £10k extra, so I don't see how they've improved costs.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

nastypoker
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by nastypoker »

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am
SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.
If the new one was cheaper than the old one, I'd actually cut it some slack. Or even if they were the same price price for that matter.

However, mine cost £25k after I'd added HK, Adaptive dampers, Metallic paint, Heated leather, full PDC, etc. The F40 costs £10k extra, so I don't see how they've improved costs.
Silly Marco! Not saving YOU money but saving the shareholders money.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 TS+LCA's - BBS CH-R's with 245f & 255r - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Powerflex sub bushes - Upgraded intercooler - MHD stage 1 + XHP stage 3 - Ceramic'd

Pubbie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by Pubbie »

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 am
A modified M135ix vs a standard M140i?! What kind of biased test is that? Meh.

They should have at least reversed their experiment with a standard M135ix and a remapped M-Lite. That's a far more likely meeting on the roads currently.
Is it? With most of the M-lites on the road being leased, what percentage of M140s trolling the streets for max acceleration opportunities are chipped?

Also for those feeling a bit sore, do remember his point at the beginning that a tuned M140i would "eat [the other one] alive".

User avatar
SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by SamM140 »

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am
SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.
If the new one was cheaper than the old one, I'd actually cut it some slack. Or even if they were the same price price for that matter.

However, mine cost £25k after I'd added HK, Adaptive dampers, Metallic paint, Heated leather, full PDC, etc. The F40 costs £10k extra, so I don't see how they've improved costs.
It’s for their benefit, not ours! :lol:

But take your point re the costs...even new the old M135i was an absolute bargain new. The new one isn’t.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Image

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

User avatar
Chapscrap
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Re: M135i vs M140i

Post by Chapscrap »

nastypoker wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:39 am
SamM140 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 am
Exactly, I agree the comparisons are valid because the F40 replaces the F20. They’re aimed at the same buyer too; those that want to fastest 1 Series BMW make.

This time BMW have ditched their USP and followed the competition. I think this has less to do about the stat that most 1 series buyers didn’t know / care which wheels were driven and more because of the ability to save money and improve economies of scales by platform sharing with MINI.

The reason that I don’t think the stat about ole 1 series drivers caring / knowing which wheels are driven is a key is because given that they sell more 320d/520d’s from the ranges above. These are the go to company car for many / the new sales rep wagon of choice. Do you really think these guys care about which wheels are driven? I doubt it. It’s more about badge, cost etc. Which is why I think it was a cost cutting move especially with BMW talking about not replacing various low volume models (e.g. Z4).
I certainly don't own an m135i because it is the fastest 1 series. I couldn't care less about it being a 1 series. What I want is a fast RWD car with a big engine. The badge makes little difference. I would be surprised in many F2x owners jumped in to an F40 UNLESS they really didn't appreciate the F2x for what it was.

I 100% agree this is a money based decision as most people will be fine driving a MINI with a BMW badge but the F2x was a bit special with its drive-train configuration.
This.
+ 95% of M135/140 f20/21 drivers seem not to care about much, and buy into the badge, the rep, the Facepage b@llocks, etc etc.
The other 5% (most on this forum) get the 3 litre straight six turbocharged rear wheel drive small car thing, despite its sometimes obvious shortcomings (sorry, just come back from a 150 mile journey fighting storm Dennis).
There’s not going to be another car like we currently have the pleasure of (Denis excepted) driving and owning, at this price point.
Make the best of it chaps, (and chapesses) , and prepare for the joys of leasing an overweight electric monstrosity, unless you’re seriously wealthy. But at least it will be well connected, have lots of screens, and be kind to the environment (sic)
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.😉

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”