Ambient Lighting.

Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Ambient Lighting.

Post by Octavius »

I’m finding the ambient lighting a tad too dim. A bit like me to be honest.
Has anyone successfully coded the FEM to increase the brightness ?

Octavius

Re: Ambient Lighting.

Post by Octavius »

Ok. Got this sorted today.
Originally the brightness of the ambient lighting was controlled by settings in the idrive and the cluster display combined. This is what was irritating me because to get the ambient at a decent level the cluster had to be turned up and that made the dials too bright.
I’ve now coded them so they can be controlled independently. The ambient is now only through the idrive so I can have it set to full brightness without the cluster control.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Also coded the idrive to shut down when the drivers door is opened.

M3AN
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by M3AN »

Respectfully, this thread is a bit of a waste of space without details and instructions.

I'm sure people could benefit from your insight, if you provided any.
Daily: E87 LCI 130iA Motorsport + LSD, Coilovers, Stainless 'Y Pipe' Exhaust & Backbox, NRW Shifters, 280hp Tune | Weekends: M3

*-jester-*
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by *-jester-* »

M3AN wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 am
Respectfully, this thread is a bit of a waste of space without details and instructions.

I'm sure people could benefit from your insight, if you provided any.
It's really simple to do with the Bimmercode App and suitable ODB2 Adapter, I made a quick video demo...

...However, I think that Octavius used the Carly App although I understand that it is just as easy to do using Carly too, I'm sure he will confirm.

nastypoker
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nastypoker »

What is meant by ambient lighting?

All I know is I have a wheel that adjusts the dials and centre controls brightness.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 TS+LCA's - BBS CH-R's with 245f & 255r - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Powerflex sub bushes - Upgraded intercooler - MHD stage 1 + XHP stage 3 - Ceramic'd

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

I did use the Carly app.
I will post some screen shots up of the screen showing the changes that need made but to be honest if you have the App it’s quite easy.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

nastypoker wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:47 am

All I know is I have a wheel that adjusts the dials and centre controls brightness.
I have ambient lighting in the door trims and around the air con controls. The wheel adjusts all the lighting so if the dials are dim so is the ambient. You can code the car so the wheel only controls the speedo cluster area and you can independently code the brightness of the rest of the ambient lighting.

nastypoker
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nastypoker »

Octavius wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:52 am
nastypoker wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:47 am

I have ambient lighting in the door trims and around the air con controls. The wheel adjusts all the lighting so if the dials are dim so is the ambient. You can code the car so the wheel only controls the speedo cluster area and you can independently code the brightness of the rest of the ambient lighting.
Is this an option or do all F2X cars have this ambient lighting? I have bimmercode so may play around with this but I am struggling to think which lights will actually be affected.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 TS+LCA's - BBS CH-R's with 245f & 255r - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Powerflex sub bushes - Upgraded intercooler - MHD stage 1 + XHP stage 3 - Ceramic'd

*-jester-*
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by *-jester-* »

You should have little orange 'Ambient Lights' in the roof module that illuminates the center console (& gear lever) at night, mine also has them on the door inner opening levers (not sure if it's an option) but they are not very bright, even when set to the max.

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Mines a 2018 F30 M sport. The ambient lighting in the door trims could be part of the trim level.

Return to “Coding/Software”