SteveoE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: ISTA Noob question

Post by SteveoE81 »

Chickensakf wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:58 pm
SteveoE81 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:43 pm
Chickensakf wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 pm

It’s not that difficult, plenty diys on YouTube etc and if you stick to one series of vehicles you only need the one cable.

Only reason I have both is I used to have a e series then moved onto f series around 1 year ago.

I’d recommend any bmw owner to have it as you would be amazed at its functionality.
Thanks again. I plan to stay with this e81 so I’ll have a look on those YouTube videos.

I’ll just have to see if my current laptop has the space needed 😬
Keep a eye on eBay gumtree etc for a old laptop.

Your better with a old windows version so you pick up laptops for next to nothing think I paid £80 for mines a few years ago.

I have a Acer Aspire E5-511 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive . Running windows 8.1
That’s a good idea thanks.

Seems most cheap laptops are running windows 10 now. So I presume as long as I get one with decent ram and HDD it will work fine?

Also if I’m correct I think I need to buy a K+dcan cable?

If so it seems most of them come with a usb stick with the downloads on.

Or is there a specific brand of cable I should be looking at? 😊
E81 130i 2008
SteveoE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SteveoE81 »

Nyxeris wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 pm Looks like links are being shared here 👍
Thank you bro 😊👍🏻
E81 130i 2008
CalvinNismo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CalvinNismo »

Chickensakf and Nyxeris thanks, some good info there. I already have ISTA/D set up for my K+DCAN, I know I didn’t go for ISTA/P for a reason, but couldn’t remember exactly why, thanks!

SteveoE81, I have a BimmerGeeks cable, works perfect, people apparently have issues with certain (super cheap) cables, so just be aware of that. If you are anywhere near York and have a big USB I’m happy to drop the software onto it for you. Links for it go up and down all the time. I have ISTA/D 4.1 (which is the highest I could find for 32-bit Windows - dated sometime in 2018) and the V67 SP-DATENs. 4.2 and above require 64-bit Windows so be aware of that if your laptop isn’t.
SteveoE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SteveoE81 »

CalvinNismo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 am Chickensakf and Nyxeris thanks, some good info there. I already have ISTA/D set up for my K+DCAN, I know I didn’t go for ISTA/P for a reason, but couldn’t remember exactly why, thanks!

SteveoE81, I have a BimmerGeeks cable, works perfect, people apparently have issues with certain (super cheap) cables, so just be aware of that. If you are anywhere near York and have a big USB I’m happy to drop the software onto it for you. Links for it go up and down all the time. I have ISTA/D 4.1 (which is the highest I could find for 32-bit Windows - dated sometime in 2018) and the V67 SP-DATENs. 4.2 and above require 64-bit Windows so be aware of that if your laptop isn’t.
Thanks for the kind offer Calvin but I’m a bit of a journey away in Manchester.

Mate of mine has an old laptop I’m getting so I’ll try and download it on to that and I’ll take a look at that beemergeek cable you mentioned.

I used to think I was good with technology but this stuff has had me flummoxed 😆
E81 130i 2008
SteveoE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SteveoE81 »

Nyxeris wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 pm Looks like links are being shared here 👍
Sorry to keep banging on about this subject but there was so many to choose from I just didn’t know what to do.

Also I think there is a 5mg download on that one.

If any one is able to make a dummies guide to ISTA I would be very grateful.

I’ve managed to get myself a free laptop.

Compaq with 4gb ram and only 134gb HDD.

I only really want ista D for diagnostics tho, but I just can’t seem to get my head around this and that’s is so many different versions 🤦🏻‍♂️😣
E81 130i 2008
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

In that link, there's a folder called ISDA-D 4.17.41; you want that entire folder (16gb~), so right-click and download as a zip. If Mega caps your download, just leave the browser up in the background and leave your computer on. I'll resume when it can, most likely overnight.

I'm recommending that version simply because I've managed to get ISDA/D running, and that's the most recent version on there. I wasn't able to get ISTA+ running, and later read that was because it's incompatible. As mentioned above this might be wrong, I just don't want to recommend something I've never personally got working :)

There are videos on Youtube that will talk you through installing and using it much better than I can. The setup will probably depend on your computer to some extent. There's also a "Guides" folder in that link which has a PDF guide to ISTA, although I haven't read it!
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
SteveoE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SteveoE81 »

Nyxeris wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:52 pm In that link, there's a folder called ISDA-D 4.17.41; you want that entire folder (16gb~), so right-click and download as a zip. If Mega caps your download, just leave the browser up in the background and leave your computer on. I'll resume when it can, most likely overnight.

I'm recommending that version simply because I've managed to get ISDA/D running, and that's the most recent version on there. I wasn't able to get ISTA+ running, and later read that was because it's incompatible. As mentioned above this might be wrong, I just don't want to recommend something I've never personally got working :)

There are videos on Youtube that will talk you through installing and using it much better than I can. The setup will probably depend on your computer to some extent. There's also a "Guides" folder in that link which has a PDF guide to ISTA, although I haven't read it!
Thank you buddy, I really appreciate your help!
E81 130i 2008
CalvinNismo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CalvinNismo »

I think is where I got my copy of ISTA from SteveoE81. I didn’t like the ‘easy’ BMW tools, so I just looked for the latest version I could find elsewhere.

Bimmerfest
Chickensakf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chickensakf »

If you are totally stuck with a software version. I have it only my laptop if you post me a 128gb usb stick or sd card I can put the files on it for you. But I’m currently away working/offshore at the moment and won’t be home till start of May.
2017 BMW M140i - F20 MG
2008 RRS Project Kahn - Buckingham Blue
1992 Vauxhall Nova GSI/XE - Flame Red
CalvinNismo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

ISTA Noob question

Post by CalvinNismo »

For anyone looking, I appear to have found the motherlode. Shoutout to J0K3R5 on E90Post.

J0K3R5’s Mega Link

Edit: It’s basically the same link as what Nyxeris posted, sorry!
Last edited by CalvinNismo on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickensakf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chickensakf »

CalvinNismo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm For anyone looking, I appear to have found the motherlode. Shoutout to J0K3R5 on E90Post.

J0K3R5’s Mega Link
Nice find 👍🏻👍🏻
2017 BMW M140i - F20 MG
2008 RRS Project Kahn - Buckingham Blue
1992 Vauxhall Nova GSI/XE - Flame Red
bearded_ed
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bearded_ed »

Excellent I'll try this.
Current E82 125i M Sport :band: