Adding S430 to F20 for retro fitting power fold mirrors

Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Adding S430 to F20 for retro fitting power fold mirrors

Post by Mrbarry »

I have a pair of power fold mirrors for my M140 that have sat in my garage for about 6 months now. The switch is modified so they will not need any wiring alterations to fit them to the car, I just need option S430 adding to the ECU. I did download esys, I have a lead etc. I can’t get it to work I get all sorts of errors. I just want to pay someone to do the coding.
Anyone know where I can get it done reliably in the west midlands area? As close to Breewood, Wolverhampton area as possible please.
Tia.
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Adding S430 to F20 for retro fitting power fold mirrors

Post by Mrbarry »

To help anyone else here I have sorted them now. I had to do two things...
I took the car to BM Euroservices in Ettingshall Wolverhampton to have them coded for a modest £40. The guy there is exceptional because he couldn’t get them to work even tho the retrofit coding was successful according to his Esys software so didn’t charge me, I later returned and paid him voluntarily however. He had invested his time after all.

I returned home after this coding had been done and used bimmercode to set power fold mirrors to active and they work! I set open and close on lock and unlock to active and that works too. Well pleased.

Incidentally he does servicing and updates the idrive but does not charge main stealer prices or think he owns the car so can update things without permission. I’ll never return to a main dealer!! I have no affiliation I just like to give credit to people when they deserve it!!
50pence
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by 50pence »

Mrbarry wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:59 pm
Did you change the switch too so you can fold from the button on the switch unit? And do you have the dipping near side mirror in reverse function activated? I'm pretty sure the updated switch unit is necessary for that as the left-right switch then has a dual function, it also turns the dipping function on or off.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrbarry »

Yes I have both mirrors and the switch. You MUST fit all three of they won’t function at all!
If you look into how they work none folding mirrors use the standard switches to apply voltage to the mirror glass adjustment motors and the heated mirror element. It’s all old school and hard wired.
Power fold mirrors do no such thing. They have one less wire and are as follows:
2 wires to the directional lamp/indicator bulb. (This is switched by the FEM with an open drain transistor exactly the same as none folding mirrors)
1 wire is earth
1 wire is live
1 wire is Lin bus.
Now what they do is use the live and earth as power train and the Lin bus simply sends out consumer tags on the bus telling the micro processor in each mirror what to do. These tags are consumed and not repeated on a single scan of the network. Once the micro processor has a command to exicute it switches open drain and open source transistors inside the mirror itself to what ever motor it needs to move. The heated glass transistors are latched ‘open’ in the microprocessor code until they are told via the FEM to unlatch. It’s a more elegant solution to running loads of cables like it’s 1970 again. And it allows fancy manipulation of control that we all know and love at the click of a button.
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrbarry »

Incidentally mixing and matching switch and wrong mirrors will do lasting damage to one or the other dependant on selection.

I didn’t modify the cars wiring loom only the pin configuration of the new switch by the way. It will now work in any car with power fold mirrors whether factory fit or not!
50pence

Post by 50pence »

Mrbarry wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 pm
Sounds like a good job well done! Mine has factory fit power fold mirrors, as does our Mini, it's a must have for me, both for the folding and for the near side dipping.

It'll be of interest to many though I'm sure.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
Mrbarry
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrbarry »

That’s why I posted my findings. People are quick to ask for help but once they are sorted they rarely take time to return the favour and let people know how they got on. I like to repay help from others. Hence I returned to pay for the coding even tho I could have just said nothing and sailed off for free.

Return to “Coding/Software”