Coding Professional head unit

Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

DaveP26

Coding Professional head unit

Post by DaveP26 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Hey guys, recently picked up an '08 116i and have been reading this forum about upgrading the business head unit.

I decided to get a professional unit, with built in Bluetooth / usb, and picked one up from an '11 3 series. The unit plugged straight in and worked, including Bluetooth (although I need to install the mic) however enabling USB is proving harder, I've followed guides about adding $6FL option with NCS Expert, but this seems to have no effect.

I think perhaps from my limited knowledge, I'm not gonna be able to do it with a D-CAN cable, is this correct? Anyone can offer some advice or help, obviously willing to pay for your time if it needs coding by someone else.

Anyway, this forum has been helpful in learning about this upgrade, hopefully it will be now too!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Coding Professional head unit

Post by bjt » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Have you tried doing an SG_RESET on the HU using NCS? Some guides say that's necessary for the HU to pick up the 6FL option from the VO.

Otherwise, USB can be enabled directly with a DCAN cable, but the difficulty depends on the age of the Pro HU.

The earlier models can be coded using NCS over DCAN, no problem.
USB can be enabled on the later models using Tool32 over DCAN (more details here viewtopic.php?f=78&t=105060&hilit=coding) but to be honest unless you are fairly technical I wouldn't advise it.
Not sure when the changeover is in terms of date.

Alternatively, all models can be coded no probs using NCS with an ICOM-B which are available on eBay.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

DaveP26

Post by DaveP26 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm

bjt wrote:Have you tried doing an SG_RESET on the HU using NCS? Some guides say that's necessary for the HU to pick up the 6FL option from the VO.

Otherwise, USB can be enabled directly with a DCAN cable, but the difficulty depends on the age of the Pro HU.

The earlier models can be coded using NCS over DCAN, no problem.
USB can be enabled on the later models using Tool32 over DCAN (more details here viewtopic.php?f=78&t=105060&hilit=coding) but to be honest unless you are fairly technical I wouldn't advise it.
Not sure when the changeover is in terms of date.

Alternatively, all models can be coded no probs using NCS with an ICOM-B which are available on eBay.
Interesting, thanks for this, I am quite technical, but I have no experience in the bmw coding at all.

So what I have done so far is write $6FL & +KMP3 to CAS and then NFRM. So at this point I should SG RESET? Or have I missed a step?

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes, SG_RESET the RAD2 after writing the new VO to CAS and NFRM. According to the guides that causes the head unit to read the VO and set its features accordingly. Some people say letting the car go to sleep (lock and wait 20 mins) is necessary too.

I haven't tried this though because my HU came with USB & BT active already.
If no luck then you will have to code the HU directly using NCS or Tool32.
If you can understand that post about coding with Tool32 then you're probably OK to try it :-)
Don't copy paste any addresses or data directly from it though, it's meant as an example only.
Nothing will get written until you run the c_c_schreiben (write) job.
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

DaveP26

Post by DaveP26 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 pm

Right, I realised I was an idiot and hadn't added $663 for the actual head unit, did that, however, when I try to read RAD2 ecu I get the following error
[20:30:16.485] [2018-04-19] [SERIE] 2020 Error LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65R.IPS/IPO) CDHapiResultText 1
[20:30:16.485] [2018-04-19] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht IFH-0009: SG nicht angeschlossen oder meldet sich nicht RAD2

[20:30:16.602] [2018-04-19] [SERIE] 2020 Error COAPI2.CPP coapiRunCabd 6
[20:30:16.602] [2018-04-19] [SERIE] SG antwortet nicht CODIERDATEN_LESEN

DaveP26

Post by DaveP26 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm

I've also apparently lost Bluetooth, so something is changed, but I don't know what. I didn't add the Bluetooth code, since it was enabled on the hu

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:37 am

Yep looks like your HU is too new to be coded with NCS over DCAN. You will need to code with Tool32 over DCAN or get an ICOM-B/pay someone to do it for you.

DaveP26

Post by DaveP26 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:52 am

bjt wrote:Yep looks like your HU is too new to be coded with NCS over DCAN. You will need to code with Tool32 over DCAN or get an ICOM-B/pay someone to do it for you.
I'm almost tempted to code with tool32, I understand what's being done in that guide, but having never used the app before, I don't understand the exact process, so wary of making a mistake. Wibbles has offered me a good deal to do it, so I have that, but spending no money is always a better way to do things, haha.

ludemon

Post by ludemon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:48 am

Hi, Did you get your HU coded successfully?
I also installed a later version of the professional HU in my 2008 118i and everything worked fine without coding, but the voice dialling function was in German language so I decide to use NCS Expert to change that to English. The SG_CODIEREN function for the 2RAD ECU failed with an error like you mentioned. Changing the job to SG_RESET and executing was successful and now the voice is English and the BT and USB functions are working correctly. Also an extra item appeared on the radio screen called PARKED.
The problem now is that the gong and PDC sounds can only be heard with the radio audio switched ON. Before coding they could be heard with the radio on or off.
Can anyone help?

Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Wibbles » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 pm

It needs coding properly, I can code it to your car if you send the radio to me.
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

ludemon

Post by ludemon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 am

Thanks for your suggestion Wibbles, but it would be inconvenient to take the radio out again as I'm using the car on a regular basis.
Having the radio audio on for the gong and PDC sounds is not a big problem so I can live with that for now. I presume that you can code the radio in the car so if I'm ever in the Tyne & Wear area I will contact you.

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:30 am

ludemon wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 am
Thanks for your suggestion Wibbles, but it would be inconvenient to take the radio out again as I'm using the car on a regular basis.
Having the radio audio on for the gong and PDC sounds is not a big problem so I can live with that for now. I presume that you can code the radio in the car so if I'm ever in the Tyne & Wear area I will contact you.
I can usually turn it around within a day, so you would be without the radio for 3 days.

Coding in the car is no issue, around 20 minuts work.

Let me know when you are passing through the North East next.
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

Return to “Coding/Software”