BMW M135i xDrive in Stock

Home of our Tame Sales Manager .... and his great deals

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, TRL

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: BMW M135i xDrive in Stock

Post by redwizard » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am

Both of our cars are currently 10 years old, in top condition and with no reason for changing either.

My wife recently had a minor front end prang (hit wall at low speed, foot slipped when parking) which resulted in it being deemed "uneconomic for repair", a category N write off. Really?!! A Merc A class (not the current shape) with only 24,000 miles on the clock and as new apart from bumper and a few other parts? Our insurance made us 2 offers (both quite reasonable), the write-off value and their repair cost limit (about £1000 difference). So we took the car back and got it all repaired (it didn't really cost us any extra) - any other option would have cost us way more money and hassle and like my own 1'er neither car can be bought in the same form today

The car industry is in a massive state of flux at the moment. 10 years ago the big push was for diesels as the best for performance/cost/emissions.

Now, who knows?

Whatever we buy may be outlawed in the next 5 years and every new model has to comply with increasing regulations and restrictions, maybe we'll be forced to buy cars fully automated, tracked and with no chance of exceeding any limits - doesn't sound like driving or fun to me.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

Pablosammy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Pablosammy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:37 pm

RichT001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 am
Pablosammy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:45 am
We own both our cars outright, and both were bought recently from new. Yeah, I could have bought something fancier on PCP but I resent paying 5% APR on a luxury item and would avoid buying anything unnecessary on interest-bearing finance.

I don't get the 'if it depreciates, rent it' argument. However you pay for it, you're suffering the depreciation whether that's in a monthly PCP instalment or on a balance sheet. OK, on PCP you get the backstop of the GFV, but I've seen few examples where the car is worth less than the GFV at trade in time. So, in a choice between 'pay the depreciation' and 'pay the depreciation plus thousands in financing costs', the former wins.

Don't get me wrong, I've financed plenty of cars in the past. I haven't always been able to afford to buy the car I wanted outright. However, I'd have seen a lot less money go down the plughole if I had paid cash.
How long do you keep your cars for, generally?
Every couple of years typically, though I really need to start keeping them for longer! :lol:

If the PCP interest rate was 3% or lower, I'd probably do it and keep the cash invested, but for most deals out there it's just not cost effective.

RichT001
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RichT001 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:13 pm

If changing every two years, leasing makes so much more sense. NOT pcp, pch. The discounts involved to get the figures so low easily bring the total cost much lower than if you buy outright.

I’ve done it all ways, pch, pcp, hp and outright purchase. With leasing, you can actually budget, and you will always come out better off, if you only keep cars two or three years.

The deal I got on my M135i was from Berry, however, I dealt with the business team, and the deal over two years was a complete no brainer, and dare I say much better than the offers that TRL is doing.

The main bonus is that I can actually use my money elsewhere, which is working for me, rather than leaving it tied up in a car.
F40 M135i - 4 wheels, headlights, engine, cigarette lighter, windscreen wipers, horn, rubber boot mat, dog guard.
KTM 1290 - 2 wheels, engine, seat.

Pablosammy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Pablosammy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 am

RichT001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:13 pm
If changing every two years, leasing makes so much more sense. NOT pcp, pch. The discounts involved to get the figures so low easily bring the total cost much lower than if you buy outright.

I’ve done it all ways, pch, pcp, hp and outright purchase. With leasing, you can actually budget, and you will always come out better off, if you only keep cars two or three years.

The deal I got on my M135i was from Berry, however, I dealt with the business team, and the deal over two years was a complete no brainer, and dare I say much better than the offers that TRL is doing.

The main bonus is that I can actually use my money elsewhere, which is working for me, rather than leaving it tied up in a car.
Sometimes leasing is cheaper, sometimes it isn't. I've leased before when it was the cheapest option. Its just a case of doing the maths, and guessing the unknowns.

Having my money 'tied up' in a car that would've otherwise been on 6% PCP is no different to having it in an investment earning 6% while paying the finance. And who wouldn't turn down a guaranteed 6% return on £20k?

Anyway, people should do what's best for them and nobody should be a judgmental dick. I think we're both on the same page with that one!

RichT001
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RichT001 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 am

Pablosammy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 am
RichT001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Sometimes leasing is cheaper, sometimes it isn't. I've leased before when it was the cheapest option. Its just a case of doing the maths, and guessing the unknowns.

Having my money 'tied up' in a car that would've otherwise been on 6% PCP is no different to having it in an investment earning 6% while paying the finance. And who wouldn't turn down a guaranteed 6% return on £20k?

Anyway, people should do what's best for them and nobody should be a judgmental dick. I think we're both on the same page with that one!
Yep, agreed there. I’ll always look at what deals are available now, and what’s the best financial option. With the current deals that BMW are doing, leasing or PCP makes the most sense.

Sign of the times, I guess, which if I’m honest, I find a bit sad.
F40 M135i - 4 wheels, headlights, engine, cigarette lighter, windscreen wipers, horn, rubber boot mat, dog guard.
KTM 1290 - 2 wheels, engine, seat.

bimmerfan82

Post by bimmerfan82 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:09 pm

TRL wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:37 pm
Hi Guys, We have 5 cars just arrived at port and ready to go. Various colours and spec though most have the sports alcantara trim.

Here is one example;

BMW M135i xDrive with Storm Grey Paint/Trigon Cloth/alcantara
Tech Pack and M135i Package

Deposit £1000 then 47 x £499 plus optional final payment of £16,199
based on 8K miles pa and 4.9% APR

Email me for the details of the others. PX possible.
Hi Tony, any updated offers on the M135i? I see BMW offering 2.9% APR now, so that alone should make some difference...
F21 M140i Shadow Edition

Spin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Spin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Where did you see 2.9% ?

That suddenly makes these more attractive...
10 Audi S3 - 4*
12 M135i - Estoril F20 Man 4*
15 F21 135i Auto
16 RS3
66 Golf R
17 M140 Man
17 M140 auto SE
F87 M2 Manual LBB
16 M235i auto

MX5 mk1 for sunny days & back to basics.

bimmerfan82

Post by bimmerfan82 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Spin wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:31 pm
Where did you see 2.9% ?

That suddenly makes these more attractive...
See the recent offers from TRL for other cars - they all say 2.9% APR.
F21 M140i Shadow Edition

Spin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Spin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Not this model apparently as too new, I double checked with TRL :)
10 Audi S3 - 4*
12 M135i - Estoril F20 Man 4*
15 F21 135i Auto
16 RS3
66 Golf R
17 M140 Man
17 M140 auto SE
F87 M2 Manual LBB
16 M235i auto

MX5 mk1 for sunny days & back to basics.

bimmerfan82

Post by bimmerfan82 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Spin wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm
that sounds a bit silly. From financing perspective, a pound is a pound, not sure why it makes any difference what car is being financed...
F21 M140i Shadow Edition

Paul 140
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Paul 140 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:39 pm

Spin wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm
It’s December next week, fingers crossed :)
Alpine White M140i Manual
Misano Blue M135i xDrive

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:45 am

redwizard wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am
Both of our cars are currently 10 years old, in top condition and with no reason for changing either.

My wife recently had a minor front end prang (hit wall at low speed, foot slipped when parking) which resulted in it being deemed "uneconomic for repair", a category N write off. Really?!! A Merc A class (not the current shape) with only 24,000 miles on the clock and as new apart from bumper and a few other parts? Our insurance made us 2 offers (both quite reasonable), the write-off value and their repair cost limit (about £1000 difference). So we took the car back and got it all repaired (it didn't really cost us any extra) - any other option would have cost us way more money and hassle and like my own 1'er neither car can be bought in the same form today

The car industry is in a massive state of flux at the moment. 10 years ago the big push was for diesels as the best for performance/cost/emissions.

Now, who knows?

Whatever we buy may be outlawed in the next 5 years and every new model has to comply with increasing regulations and restrictions, maybe we'll be forced to buy cars fully automated, tracked and with no chance of exceeding any limits - doesn't sound like driving or fun to me.
Every car you buy costs £xx per month though, regardless of how log you keep it. If you work out how much both your 10 year old cars have cost over that period you will end up with a monthly figure.

If, like on our E91, that monthly figure is £300/month then you can lease for cheaper. Obviously every year you keep the old car that price goes down, but not by much. The only way of avoiding that is to buy a 10 year old car for peanuts and run it for 5 years, then rinse and repeat, but you then spend your whole life driving around in 10 year old rubbish that always need work doing.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Nice theory - I suspect the maths though.
My previous car (not a BMW) only lasted 14 years (bought new, cash) before it needed a replacement catalytic converter and clutch .... which I would have actioned if it wasn't for the fact that I needed it (or a replacement) for a 1600-mile round skiing trip, and the helpful happening of the £2000 scrappage scheme in effect at that time.
So my first thought was, bug#er, I need to find a car that will last me longer than 14 years next time - hence the BMW (my first BM/diesel/RWD/turbo so quite a change).
And yes, it's now 10 years old but it's certainly not rubbish and has never needed anything untoward doing to it so I'm hoping that it will continue for at least another 10 years. Would I buy exactly the same again if I was forced into it - absolutely!
Sadly that choice is no longer available.
Is it maintained/tinkered with outside of dealer visits? - of course. :)
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:21 pm

It's no theory, whatever car you own attracts a monthly figure, even if you buy something old that costs you just £10,000. Eventually it's going to be worth much less than you pay for it.

So it's just basic maths of PRICE PAID - CURRENT VALUE / YEARS OWNED.

Every single vehicle you ever buy, with only a few collectable examples, will work to this same formula.

Even if you buy a car for £3000 and 10 years later its worth £500 its still cost you £2,500 plus running costs and maintenance over that time period. Granted the monthly figure will be low, but it still has a monthly figure.

The only exception is something that has gone up exponentially, BMW 1M, Sierra Cosworth, E30 M3 etc but even with those the running costs over all the years the value has been going up will still have been significant.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Although in this case the formula will be more complex as you have to factor in things that a lease wouldn't attract.

So it would be MONEY SPENT (buying, bank loan, servicing, repairs, MOT etc) - CURRENT VALUE / YEARS OWNED

In our case, our E91 has cost us about £36k since buying with all the running costs, loan interest etc which over 10 years equals £300/month.

And whilst it's fine, and still looks good IMO it's a bit battered and needs a few small things doing. If we keep it another 10 years then it goes down to £150/month but even then after 20 years of owning the same car/eating the same steak it's still cost us £150/month!!!!

Return to “TRL @ Berry Heathrow BMW”