Bcs sports cat failed mot

New sponsor coming soon.............

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Nige BCS

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Bcs sports cat failed mot

Post by marco_polo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

They don't work when cool, did you try it when glowing red hot?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm

HEAVYD wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 pm
I had the jb4 in map 2, then map 4, then 0, all failed emissions
Mot on map 2 - no surprise it failed - doubt it would pass with stock cat in place either.

How miles has yr BCS DP done ?
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by HEAVYD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 am

I do less that 5000miles per year

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am

Just to provide another sample on this, I've had my car through 2 MOTs with the full BCS system and both times using JB4 map0 worked fine. Second year I think was closer to the limit, but both times sailed through at a BMW main dealer.

Could having the full system and not just the cat make a difference?
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am

Birdseye1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am
I've had my car through 2 MOTs with the full BCS system and both times using JB4 map0 worked fine.

BE1,

Full system makes no difference - OP had his car MOT’d with JB4 in map 2. Probably a non starter even for a std DP.

Map 0 and an “Italian tune up” the evening or morning before MOT will do more to ensure a pass year on year.

BP
AW M2 DCT

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am

Birdseye1 wrote:
Second year I think was closer to the limit, but both times sailed through at a BMW main dealer.
Does this suggest that the Sports CAT will be less effective with emissions as time goes on in the long term so in year 3 it may be over the limit?

Not sure if I would say if it's close to the limit to say sailed through but more like squeezed through ;)
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

andyjhatton
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andyjhatton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am
Birdseye1 wrote:
I've had my car through 2 MOTs with the full BCS system and both times using JB4 map0 worked fine.

BE1,

Full system makes no difference - OP had his car MOT’d with JB4 in map 2. Probably a non starter even for a std DP.

Map 0 and an “Italian tune up” the evening or morning before MOT will do more to ensure a pass year on year.

BP
I think he said it failed in map 0 too.
2015 M135i, Pre-LCI, 6MT, Adaptive, Birds ARBs & Quaife LSD, M4 LCA + TS, Bilstein B14, Goodridge lines

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm

andyjhatton wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am
I think he said it failed in map 0 too.
Yup and map 4 too - switching off JB4 at MOT shop with sniffer tube up an exhaust pipe is still a recipe for a fail as DME has no time to adapt from map 2
AW M2 DCT

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by HEAVYD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Well it managed to pass last year in map 2. My last 3 cars have all passed mots with sports cats and remaps turned on. It passed last year in map2, 5000 miles later it fails, passed in map 1 with standard cat on. Bcs sport cats are a waste of money imo. My belief was buying a sports cat would enable the car to pass an mot, like all my previous cars have done. But with a bcs, you don’t have the luxury, probably best off buying a decat and save money, as your going to ha e to get it swapped over at mot time, as you would by paying ££££ more with a bcs sports cat

Shorty
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shorty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am
Birdseye1 wrote:

BE1,

BP
Map 1,2,3,6 wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to emission check. The JB4 will have no effect when sitting there revving at standstill under no load.

Your old car passed this year but by the skin of its teeth.. also Paul left it on map 6 and didn't change it, like I said it wouldn't make any difference with the JB4 from my knowledge.

andyjhatton
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andyjhatton » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

As I think I eluded to, it depends which facet of the emissions failed. (Hydrocarbons, CO, NO ...)

The map certainly could make a difference, for example, if you're massively over-fuelling the engine to help with detonation and cylinder cooling, then you're probably going to fail the MOT on hydrocarbons.
If you've got very high and lean combustion pressures and temperatures you're going to start producing NO (like a diesel)
2015 M135i, Pre-LCI, 6MT, Adaptive, Birds ARBs & Quaife LSD, M4 LCA + TS, Bilstein B14, Goodridge lines

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Shorty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm
The JB4 will have no effect when sitting there revving at standstill under no load.

Your old car passed this year but by the skin of its teeth.. also Paul left it on map 6 and didn't change it, like I said it wouldn't make any difference with the JB4 from my knowledge.
Shorty

Agreed - free revving in neutral/park with zero load - JB4 has no effect.

Going to mot test station with a DME that’s fully adapted to a boosted JB4 map will effect emissions. Hence my comment about map 0 and give the car to re-learn/blow the cobwebs via a 30min + drive or “Italian tune-up”

No wonder Paul’s car scraped thru with DME adapted to map 6, that’s got nothing to do with the downpipe !!!!

BP
AW M2 DCT

Shorty
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shorty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:30 pm
Shorty wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm
The JB4 will have no effect when sitting there revving at standstill under no load.

Shorty

Agreed - free revving in neutral/park with zero load - JB4 has no effect.

Going to mot test station with a DME that’s fully adapted to a boosted JB4 map will effect emissions. Hence my comment about map 0 and give the car to re-learn/blow the cobwebs via a 30min + drive or “Italian tune-up”

No wonder Paul’s car scraped thru with DME adapted to map 6, that’s got nothing to do with the downpipe !!!!

BP
Even without fully adapted, switching on the fly with no adaption time, I think the emissions will read the same under them conditions. It's only under load when the JB4 will change things and alter the fuelling.

I may be wrong but I'd be very surprised if this isn't the case. The JB4 will not have any effect when free revving with no load, regardless of map.

If anyone knows any different I'd be keen to know? May be worth asking Terry?

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:47 pm

As it’s a jb4 and not a remap any adaptions will be within the stock flashes parameters which wouldn’t allow a car to fail its MOT. Again as our MOT tests are static the jb4 would have no influence at the precise time the test is being carried out.
M2 LCI DCT- B16 PSS10’s, BM3 stage 2, downpipe, Pure turbo inlet, panel filter, vrsf HD Intercooler.

M135i 8AT - gone

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 pm

DaleB90 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:47 pm
As it’s a jb4 and not a remap any adaptions will be within the stock flashes parameters which wouldn’t allow a car to fail its MOT. Again as our MOT tests are static the jb4 would have no influence at the precise time the test is being carried out.
I assume that n55 needs to routinely self regenerate on the go - richening the mixture and certain intervals - to burn / clean off the cat of buildup of particles, such as sulphur.

Unlike diesel DPF’s, It’s rare to read abt a cat clogging up. Maybe piggyback ECU’s like JB4 hinder the “sulphur burn” routine ??

Plus, an aftermarket DP is perhaps more vulnerable to particle build-up by the presence of p/back ecu ??

I got into the habit of routinely giving my cars a monthly Italian tune up with at least 1/2 a tank of fuel to encourage the sulphur burn ritual. It worked fine for my e46 330i, e91 335i and m135i - all modified.

A cat in need of a regen would effect mot emissions test outcome.
AW M2 DCT

Return to “BCS Automotive Limited”